Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Have you heard the google news?

Starting with this dance and for the next few months google is implementing a filter that takes care of people purchasing expired domains for PR and backlinks (like me!)

When a domain expires and is purchased by someone else, the domains PR and backlinks are also expired. The backlinks going to that expired site before the expiration will NEVER count again. poohey!

-- I read this at webmasterworld

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I love the fact that the expired domain big players who own over 20,000 domains are in for a huge drop in pilfered traffic from grandfathered links. Seems like the tricks for clicks crowd who throw up popup/unders and a template affiliate enable directory are in for a drop in income.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I had a couple of sites that were expired domains, and they are now sitting at PR0 (despite the fact that with the additional links I added they should be higher). There does appear to be a bug in Google.

Basically, I lost a PR6 site (which I wasn't using) and some PR5 sites. A couple of good money earners. Someone dealing exclusively in expired sites though will be hit really badly. I'll have new sites with decent PR (hopefully) at the next Google update if I get my skates on.

Yeah it's cheating I guess, but the PR0 on these sites is clearly a bug. <sigh>

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

Yeah - I've been quite badly hit by this.

I don't have any argument over the main thrust of this change - I know what they're trying to do. But I have bought a few expired domains because they have a good name, and then developed them completely in line with their original subject matter.

Now they're crucified - and from my reading on this, even if the original linkers were happy to continue linking to the sites, it's likely that Google would always discount it.

I can only hope that this gets fine tuned in time.

For the moment - I'm researching tools to help establish new links the old-fashioned way.

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't have any argument over the main thrust of this change - I know what they're trying to do. But I have bought a few expired domains because they have a good name, and then developed them completely in line with their original subject matter.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I got hit too. I purchased a bunch and developed mini-sites that had a bunch of links to my REAL sites.

I am in the process of writing some software to help automate link exchanges. It's going to be a LOAD of work but i had the project started already. I just purchased the expired domains to establish SOME traffic while I build proper incomming links. After all, you cant build incomming links if your site has no PR! Nobody wants to exchange links with a site that has very low or no PR. we all know a link from a PR2 page won't count in google...

Well, I've spent most of today looking at tools to assist in reciprocal linking and have just parted with a bunch of cash for what I believe is the best of breed.

I've badly neglected this aspect of promotion, so have a lot of catching up to do on a lot of sites. Silver-lining-wise, I should have done this anyway.

I was thinking about the PR-level thing, but I reckon I won't be too choosy. After all, today's PR2 site could be PR5 after the next Goggle Dunce

BTW - the software I've chosen has a healthy 2-tier affiliate program, so anyone can PM me if they want the link Hey - that's 2 silver linings !

Are you Crazy?

No way, this is a crock of sh*t. Google has no way of implementing such a system.

Just a FYI my previously expired domains/sites haven't lost even one bit of backlinks or PR.

Put a slight bit of logic and common sense into it for a moment. How exactly is it you think google would even know which domains had ever been expired, seperate them from the renewed domains and domains sold to new owners? Also how would google process all of this information in a cost effective way in order to make it worth their efforts?

Answer is They Dont and they won't.

[This message was edited by Heyder on March 08, 2003 at 07:00 PM.]

Heyder, I agree. Google is good but it doesn't have magical powers.

---Hershey

"Play like you have never lost. Love like you have never been hurt. Dance like no one is watching."

Thanks for the bit of common sense hershey.

Conspiracy anyone?

The source is GoogleGuy hissself:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/10036.htm

Heyder - when you think about the indexing task they already perform on a per page/month basis, what makes you think it would be so impossible to perform this much rarer per domain task?
    There are apparently "lots of signals to draw on" to tell them when [edit: expired] domains change hands.

It's also being implemented over a couple of months.

Are you Crazy?

CG I know the source that's why I don't believe a word of it.

Hasn't anyone considered the most effective search engine technology might be psychological instead of actual technology?

I'll quote something markymark said a while back in my own words as my memory serves.

There are things about search engine optimization that have never been mentioned on any forum.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Nobody wants to exchange links with a site that has very low or no PR. we all know a link from a PR2 page won't count in google... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do we ? I don't know that. I know that backlinks less than PR4 don't show up in a link:www.yourdomain.com query, but a link from a PR2 page is still a worthwhile link to have. If you have your keywords in the anchor text, it still helps your ranking.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

thanks MM for clearing up conspiracy #2

Just a FYI I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here. I'm not saying anyone is doing anything wrong but it's very clear to me the miss information is leading us to do things we shouldn't be doing.

Here's my take:

I believe that Google CAN implement a system where as they crawl root domains, any 404's that pop up more than a certain # of times alerts Googlebot that the domain is expired. Google can then easily remove all info from their PR and backlink db's. It's not that farfetched. In fact I think it is something that Google has been working on for a while and they began using this system during the February crawl. Maybe that's the reason of the delayed dance

I do know that Google has a lot of new methods coming out over the next few months to rid the Google index of spam and low quality sites. I think it is actually better for all of us who are legit.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW
    Join our program through CJ now!

This is to Heyder...

googleguy said they were phasing this in over the next couple of months. Let me confirm for you that it is NOT bull**shit. I have almost exclusively built sites from expired domain names over the past year, and most of them were DECIMATED this month. The only ones that were not were domains that expired a year ago and later....

Googleguy claims that they designed their system to not credit previous links to a site, but this I find hard to believe. My sites have MANY new links and tons of content. They are all no where to be found in results. The only thing I can guess that they have done is searched years of the whois database and slapped a penalty on all the sites...

more in a moment... my keyboard is broken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    CG I know the source that's why I don't believe a word of it.

Hasn't anyone considered the most effective search engine technology might be psychological instead of actual technology?

I'll quote something markymark said a while back in my own words as my memory serves.

There are things about search engine optimization that have never been mentioned on any forum.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    Umm, its really pretty simple to do what they say they are now doing... There is also empirical evidence that they are in fact doing it.. they have shown they have access to raw whois data and google is simply the masters of aggregating data and making sense of it (look at google news sometime.. and really look at how it works ) .. they are definitely not perfect and continually get 0wned by spam, but.. to think they cant recognize expired domains is ludicrous.

Also, to reiterate what Marky said, a link from a pr2 site is still a link and still desirable...

Also, those talking about links you could always just get links the old fashioned way.. build a site that people naturally want to link to

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>confirm for you that it is NOT bull**shit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hehehe. I like that censoring job
    ----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

I was trying to think of the mathematically easiest way to accomplish what google wants to do... namely treat all expired domains like brand new domains.

So, lets say expiredomain.com has 300 links to it. The easiest way for them to fix this "problem" would be to add -300 links to expiredomain.com, and I think this is what they have done.

The thing is, googleguy made it seem like they looked at the date of expiration and some how know how many links the site had at the time of expiration, and discredited those links. However, I believe this is impossible to do. More likely, this month when they ran through all the expired names and saw how many links they had currently, and discredited ALL the links to each site. I bet they have it say expiredomain.com = -300 link points...

Now, if this is correct, you may have to fight your way back to 0 before you even get into the plus column. After that, perhaps, you can build up PR again.

I know they did not count some links made after expiration because I got a pr8 site to link to me- a link I got 3 months after I took over the domain name. According to the way googleguy described it, this link should count. It currently does not (a simple search of backlinks now shows ZERO).

Anyway, I am going to seriously have find some way around all this (without buying 100 new names). I took an old domain name I had before and pointed it to my main site. Perhaps google will follow that name and start indexing pages...

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    &gt;any 404's that pop up more than a certain # of times alerts Googlebot that the domain is expired.

Well, not necessarily expired, just offline.

Tagging expired domains though is easy, all they need to do is parse zone files which I am sure they, and a lot of other engines, are doing all the time.

With all the computational power and brain power they have collected something like demoting expired domains would be a piece of cake.

ABW Ambassador
    For comfirmation, this only affects expired domains that were purchased after they expired....what about sites that change hands prior to expiration. Obviously being a big selling point is a sites popularity...any idea if those will be affected?

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Easiest way is for Google to tag all domains that are just the same template directory of monitized ;links and popups/unders. Yum Ye from Hong Kong has 80,000 of those which were spammed into Google or operated under preexisting SE links. Sounds like it make for a great movie theme as the Chinese Triad mob plots to bomb the Network center and asassinate some key Google Geeks.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I would like a really good explanation, or speculation, on how Google is determining which domains expired and need their back links discredited.

I do not think they can do this without taking down a lot of innocent people (whose domains did not expire).

So what is it in the domain registry that they are going to use? Just the fact that a site transferred ownership? Won't that take down a lot of innocent people.

My concern is these guys think they are geniuses are sending their technology out when it is not perfect. Then what are the innocent supposed to do? Email google and wait until they get around to reincluding penalized sites again?

Anyways, I believe it is the content of a site, not ownership, that web users are interested in. If I am searching for information, what do I care if the site changed hands as long as the content is the same and relevant?

So if I am out of the country (in the military for example) and renew a domain after the expiration date, will my sites be penalized?

Here's what happened to some of my expired domains. Some were acquired with Snapnames, some with a rather expensive tool called Domain Retriever (DR).

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>"Software site" - was PR6. New new inbounds, now PR0. Fair enough. [Acquired through DR].
    <LI>"Gifts site" - was PR5. Four new inbounds from PR5 sites. Now PR0. Something wrong here. [DR].
    <LI>"Mobile phone site" - was PR5. Just two new inbounds, PR5 and PR4. Now PR2. Strange. [DR]
    <LI>"Real Estate" name. Was PR3. Sold back to the original owners. No change in links. Now PR2. [DR]
    <LI>"Failed dot com". Was PR5. No new links. Now PR0. [DR]
    <LI>"Pet site". Was PR2. No new inbounds. Now PR0 (Snapnames).
    <LI>"Gifts site." Never had any inbounds until I added them. Originally not developed. Now PR5.[/list]

All these sites were acquired in the past 6 months. I have another site acquired over a year ago which has seen no drop.

Basically, there *is* a penalty on these sites, despite Google saying there isn't. ALL the new inbounds have been discounted.

________

Dynamoo,

what you have described is basically what I have seen...

Hey hey - look again.

Seems like index is back to where it was last month. PRs that were downgraded still seem same (down), but pages are back to their previous positions?

New pages still seem to be there, wonder how long this funny hybrid will last.

Are you Crazy?

Hmmm.. yeah, they do seem to have made a slight recovery.

________

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast