A Google "bug" worth mentioning ... http://www.seochat.com/viewtopic.php?t=628

YOURsoft - worlds 1st dealware scripts!
    NEW - Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

Confirmed. It affects ALL CJ merchants.

Google has been notified

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW
    Join our program through CJ now!

ABW Ambassador
    The best thing for the search results would be to ignore all qksrv and other affiliate coded links. The merchants should not get a boost because they are paying for links.

Ignoring qksrv would level the playing field and affiliates would compete better with the merchants for good keywords.

I hope now that Google isbeing inundated with requests from merchants to ignore their affiliates' links, they will understand that the merchants do not want a PR boost from the affiliate links.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    The best thing for the search results would be to ignore all qksrv and other affiliate coded links.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem is there are thousands of different affiliate links (from qksrv, shareasale, ... to individual site links that come from smaller affiliate programs powered by smaller affiliate scripts). Google has to find a way to recognize what is an affiliate link and what not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    I hope now that Google isbeing inundated with requests from merchants to ignore their affiliates' links, they will understand that the merchants do not want a PR boost from the affiliate links.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, merchants allways want a PR boost, just not if it means paying commissions As far as merchants are concerned the best thing would be to count affiliate links in PR, but not indexing them.

ABW Ambassador
    Keeping making noise with google about affiliate links and soon any site with affiliate links on it will be downgraded.....

fwiw this has gone on for a long time... i had some of my links indexed pretty well at one point... { vague }

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, so this merchant enjoyed years of number one listings on Google and all the free traffic that entails.

Now, he/she wants Google to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars looking into its algorithm in order to not only restore his/her position, but also to punish his/her affiliates.

The greed and audacity is truly amazing.

Hmmm,

I wonder if I should contact Google everytime someone bumps me from a #1 position that I have held for a long time??? Google has always had a tendency to list a qksrv link every now and then without an affiliate trying to trick the engine. It just happens like that sometimes.

Joseph,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Keeping making noise with google about affiliate links and soon any site with affiliate links on it will be downgraded..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup!

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Programs That Just Might Work

ABW Ambassador
    The problem is with how CJ handles their links not with Google. Furthermore, if qksvr.net pages didn't have those static search engine friendly links all over the place, then most of their merchants would be ranking on page 17 anyway. Gotta take the rough with the smooth, guys. Sorry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> fwiw this has gone on for a long time... i had some of my links indexed pretty well at one point... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Indeed, it has Joseph. I figured that I could get some of my qksvr links to replace a particular merchant URL without too much trouble. Never tested it as I figured the merchant would drop me as soon as they found out and it's not really the kind of thing I would do. Would have liked to prove to myself how easy it is, though.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Jimbo,

If your comment was in reference to me, you have it totally wrong. I am out for my affiliates best interests - always - but in honesty. Just like I don't want and don't have parasites stealing my affiliate's links, I don't want an affiliate getting commission on a link to my site that should be free. I think it's a fair deal. Level playing field for all. If an affiliate gets credit for a sale because someone searched for my company name and clicked on my free Google listing, I think that is unjust. In the same way that it is unfair when someone rips off your site and ranks better than you or makes you drop out of the rankings, I feel that my ecommerce site should have the same fairness.

It's not greed. It's called being fair and honest.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW
    Join our program through CJ now!

ABW Ambassador
    Akiva,

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the affiliate manager referenced in the first post, not you.

The guy with the art program was upset because he was ranked #1 for years for phrases like 'art supplies' (not trademarks), but recently lost that ranking to an affiliate and others.

-----------------
    Added....

Just reread the orginal referenced post.

He IS upset about the cj link coming up for searches of his trademark. I can understand that, but my sympathy stops when he brings in common key phrases like 'art supplies', accuses an affiliate of stealing, and takes action that could lead to a Google penalty for the affiliate (it was the merchant afterall who suppliedthe affiliate with the trademark in the anchor tags).

Finally, the merchant works with ebates.

[This message was edited by jimbo2002 on March 18, 2003 at 10:12 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Finally, the merchant works with ebates<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yep. "What comes around, goes around!"

Big Chuck
    If you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!

ABW Ambassador
    For a search engine to pick up a redirect URL and treat it as if it were the "real" URL is not something new. Affiliate links have been showing up in search results here and there for as long as I've been paying attention to such things (over two years). I've seen it in several search engines, not just Google. It seems to be something that comes and goes.

I think most of people who read this didn't get the exact idea what is wrong here (not all though):

The problem isn't about who's N.1 and who's not, the problem is Google doesn't realize what's the "real" URL and what is an affiliate link.

In the cases we were discussing you would type in Google "my site name" and you wouldn't get www.my-site-domain.com as the URL in the results, you would get "www.qksrv.com/...". So the problem sin't in listing affiliate sites on Google, it's the affiliate URLs (you can't find www.domain.com on Google, you can find only the affiliate URL which redirects to www.domain.com). This means your site ranks high because of all the site optimization, but Google displays the affiliate URL as the site URL (again - it's not about affiliate sites, it's all about affiliate HTTP redirect URLs).

It's just like if you'd type for example "Amazon" into Google and you would get Title/description/extracts from the site www.amazon.com (the one and only) as the first result, but the URL wouldn't be www.amazon.com, it would be www.mydomain.com/some-kind-of-affiliate-URL-redirect

I hope this clears up things a bit...

Would it be ok if Google listed an link to your competitors site instead?

Which would you rather have show up:
    a) An affiliate link that redirects to your site, or
    b) Your competitor's site

Emmm, still don't get it, huh ... let me put it this way - how would you like to build a web site ("mysite.com"), setup an affiliate program, do great optimization, etc. Then Google would rank your site N.1 because of all the hard work (optimization) YOU did on and for the site, BUT since Google doesn't know (yet) the difference between affiliate links and your actual URL, it would display the affiliate link, NOT the "mydomain.com" url (since both URLs point to the same HTML document Google has to choose which URL to display. It chooses the affiliate URL as it has higher PR then mydomain.com).

YOUR work, some lucky AFFILIATE gets credit... fair?

About your question Commission King - the affiliate redirect URL is N.1 because the MERCHANT did good SEO. If Google knew the difference that would be mydomain.com, not an affiliate link.

BTW: Let me make clear I took care of this problem for our site long ago so I am not experiencing such problems at all, but many other merchants are and as far as this is concerned I support them 100%.

Most merchants don't have good seo, it's all the links pointing at them with their keywords in it, so in my experience most merchants get better rankings because of the other affiliate links, you may do good seo on your site c4, but that's not the case with most merchants.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread