Do you need to constantly change your content or at least change something on each page if you want to achieve good rankings in Google?

I've heard that you should. However, I have a site that really doesn't need to be updated because the content should pretty much stay the same from month to month. Should I keep it as it is or change something insignificant just to change something? Thanks.

Hello JB,

Yes, I would recommend updating the page regularly to let the spiders now it is fresh content regardless to whether there was an actual change, or not. I use a blank transparent gif as my tool to do this. I just resize the image to cause change and upload.

I do not know whether this is an "impactful" actual weighing factor to SE overall rank, but I do this to ensure it gets stamped as recent to cause spider to crawl it again atleast.

Let's see what others say.

Ray Thomas CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center

I'm not sure how much effect updating a site really has on the serps.. I have sites that haven't been updated in ages, which always hold down good rankings in very competitive areas.. They are also given fresh tags at Google. In saying that though, I have found that you never stop learning, and every 3 months or so I like to go back through some sites and apply any new tweaks I have found.. If I'm feeling really keen, I'll even add another page or two.. The other way I update my pages is to bring the copyright notice up to the current year.. this is good for a once a year update

ABW Ambassador
    United Kingdom
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do you need to constantly change your content or at least change something on each page if you want to achieve good rankings in Google? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, you don't. It is true that Google and the other search engines like 'fresh' content but it isn't essential to achieving good rankings. If your rankings start to slip, get a few more inbound links and go back to your pages to see what you can do to improve them but otherwise there's no point changing things for the sake of it.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread