ABW Ambassador
    I was wondering if anyone knew if it was worth paying the $299 to get listed in the Yahoo directory?
    I currently get about 500 visitors per day from Yahoo as a result of the Google index.
    What do you actually get for the $299? if I am already getting visitors as a result of being in the Google database?
    Does anyone know about what you get for the $299?
    Thank you

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Regret to say the answer is "it depends". The $299 gets you reviewed, and if you pass the quality test, then you get listed in the directory.

1. There are those that argue that being in the Yahoo directory gets you a pagerank boost in Google.

Some say it's the normal boost you get from an incoming link. others say there's a special "bonus boost" for a yahoo listing.

Whatever, it's difficult to say whether this boost is worth $299

2. People do browse the Yahoo directoy. You'll have to do some guesswork as to how many people you can expect from the category you're listed in. If you check out category sponsored listing prices, that can help estimate the popularity of the category.

I have a site that gets 0 visitors from the directory, and another one that gets 200 a day.

Other possible advantages are that it gets you "out there" and can lead to other sites linking to you. It's a minor plus if you happen to sell your site down the road.

All of which assumes you get accepted.

There's also another unknown, namely how Yahoo will present search results in the future. At the moment, it's largely google. But since Yahoo just bought Inktomi, that might change. And directory listings might become more important.

Essentially, it's a calculated risk.

I submit my sites because it costs me about $150 (after tax) and I know my sites convert well enough to pay back the fee relatively quickly, even with little directory-only traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    My main site is currently making about $1,200 in commission per month. I get over 1,000 visitors per day. If the $299 per year resulted in enough traffic to pay for itself, then it would be worth it.
    I have a lot of top 3 placements in Yahoo & Google, including quite a few number 1's
    It is just a lot of money to pay with no guarantee even to be listed.
    Not sure what to do. Although I am sure my wife would decide for me when I ask her for $299

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

IMHO, it is not in the least worth it! Whatever would be achieved by the listing, can be achieved through other means more cheaply and with more certainty.

Gene
    TCS

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I think the answer to this question will be different 6 months from now. I don't think that Yahoo wants people to STOP paying them $299, so I would expect a better return on your money in the future, probably when they integrate inktomi.

I drank what??! -Socrates

Right now I'm holding off on yahoo submissions. I know... the argument is it will give you a PR boost but so will a link from any other site. Soooo... I say not worth it.

---

HomeAlarmSecuritySystems.com
    Earn $30 Per Sale!
    Tell Me More

I paid $299 to have a site listed in yahoo. I was getting good traffic for a while then it plummeted when they switched to google search results because my site did not have good ranking in google. The only benifit currently for listing in yahoo is the PR boost you may get. The PR boost you get is not even very much and now that it is $299 per year I no longer focus on yahoo.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I always submit my client's sites there...but basically, I agree with everything MJCB said. It's your call.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread