Is there any data or consensus opinion about what the cut-off time is for making a change to an existing page and having that change appear in the next Google Dance?

ABW Ambassador
    Google works on a 30 day calendar (or very close to 30 days sometimes)
    They may index your site on June 1st, and it may not actually go into the database until July 4th (or close to that)

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Google will never fail to finish spidering the day before new pages are uploaded.

(j/k)

~Revenue is King

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Google will never fail to finish spidering the day before new pages are uploaded.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmm....I was hoping for something a bit more specific than that...

ABW Ambassador
    There is no specific answer, which is why you haven't had one yet. If your site is in the 'fresh' crawl, you can make a change or add a page and see the results in Google within a couple of days. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of Google's deep crawl cycle - which doesn't happen at the same time every month. It used to be the case that changes made within the last 3-4 days and first 3-4 days of the month will be seen in the following month's update, but it doesn't seem to be happening that way right at the moment.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

In the past, Google has normally sent out the Deepbot (the one responsible for the monthly updates) within a few days of a new update being finished online. This is right after what is referred to as "The Dance".

Theoretically, if your pages are published when the Deepbot makes its rounds, they'll be included in the next update, about a month later (give or take). But with all the weirdness going on at Google lately, you just can't depend on that anymore.

You're in the same boat as the rest of us, we don't really know when things at Google are going to happen. We just hope they're in our favor when they do.

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What MarkyMark and Andy said. There *is* no set time. And since Murphy's Law was in operation on me in regards to getting some new pages indexed, I made that comment "Google will never fail to finish spidering the day before new pages are uploaded."

I did see *some* changes I made around the first of the month showing in www2 and www3, but some new sites I'd made "missed the bus" and didn't get in this cycle.

I'm also beginning to wonder what it takes to get on the Fresh cycle! I would have thought my BackcountryStore section would get freshed since it actually gets updated regularly (unlike most of my pages which rot till they drop), but apparently no luck. Therefore Google always is showing long-dead sale pages from that section.

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    Just do things when you can, with the general idea that sooner is better but not to the point that you compromise on page quality.

Googlebot comes when Googlebot comes.

No matter when you update there is no time like the present to improve your website and make more money.

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose." Jack Handy

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread