I have a book site that has been up for several months. The site has a total of 98 pages, however the full site has never been completely indexed by Google. At present Google is showing 98 pages when you do an "allinurl" search, but only 29 of the pages have a title and description with the rest of the pages simply having the URL listed like this:

www.domain.com/category/booktitle/
    Similar pages

At present on www2 there are only 27 pages in the index, all of which have titles and descriptions. It appears as if the ones without titles and descriptions have been dropped from the index.

Additionally, the site has a PR0. This is odd since there are links pointing into the site including DMOZ. Another site that I own has a similar backlinks strategy and that site has a PR4, so I am not really sure why Google has not picked up the backlinks to the site in question and why it has a PR0.

The site does a fair amount of traffic, but has yet to pick up traffic for the individual book titles that it is optimized for, most likely due to the PR0 factor and the poor position on the SERPS.

Now, for my question. I am considering changing over the affiliate on the site from christianbook.com to amazon.com. I am wondering, given the above stated indexing and PR difficulties, if it is worth the time needed to redesign the site with a new affiliate or would it be best at this point to scrap the site and start over with a new site. It would be easier for me to redesign rather than rebuild, since I would only mostly be changing affiliate links and slight modifications on copy. Building a new site would be a more time consuming task.

If anyone has any thoughts on what caused this site to fail so miserably in the index and any suggestions on whether it is worthwhile to redesign or better to build another site.

Thanks for the help

Tony Felice

The PR0 thing is the main concern. Is it a recently expired domain? Are you linking into bad neighbourhoods which have a PR0 themselves?

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

No I was the first owner of the domain and no I am not linking to any PR0's from the site.

Tony Felice

There's definitely something wrong. With an incoming DMOZ link, you should show some PR, most likely a PR4.

Also, how well optimized are your pages? Usually when I find a site is slipping, I go back to see where I can optimize it better. As I learn more, I'll find some of my older sites are in need of a makeover.

I wouldn't redesign until I've found out what's holding the current site back.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Bob Hope

Yes I know the PR should be a 4. There are incoming links from other directory sites that are high PR sites as well. As I mentioned in the opening post I have another site that has basically the same incoming links and that site has a PR4.

I never did anything considered to be spam on the site either. It's a legitimate site in every sense of the word.

As far as SEO, its not my best work of optimization, but by far is not the worst either. I built this site about six months ago, so since that time my SEO skills have improved and granted I would probably do some things differently, but in general the site is fine.

I am targeting niche keywords with the interior pages to the site. There is no reason I shouldn't be top 3 for most of the terms I am looking to get (ie the book titles)

Tony Felice

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the full site has never been completely indexed by Google. At present Google is showing 98 pages when you do an "allinurl" search, but only 29 of the pages have a title and description with the rest of the pages simply having the URL listed... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    OK, so if you're not spamming (which you're not), the problem is with how Google is spidering your site.

Do you have a robots.txt file ? If yes, remove it. If no, add one.

How does your site link together ? Does every page link back to the home page and link to at least two other pages of the site ? If it doesn't, change the navigation so that it does.

Site Map ? Add one - linked from the home page - if you haven't got one.

Log files - go through them to see if you can identify which pages Googlebot is hitting regularly. Has it actually visited any of the pages you are not getting into the index. The answer should be no, by the way.

As you can tell, I haven't a clue what's causing this problem, but I do think that the problem with how your site is being spidered and indexed may be the root of the issue.

Try all these things and if Google doesn't pick up the site in the next couple of updates, then I would exclude Googlebot from the site altogether. Wait another update or so, then put up a mirror site somewhere else, get some backlinks, exclude everything but Googlebot and you should find that you get the new site in. Of course, it may be quicker just to set up a whole new site.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Thanks for the info. To answer your questions.

Yes there is a robots.txt. Same as all of my other site.

The navigation is done properly. There is a link to the homepage on every page and every page has the menu for the subcategory pages.

Yes there is a site map.

One of the bad things is I don't have access to the raw logs on this server (cheap hosting). I am planning on moving it to a new dedicated server I am getting this week.

I am in the same boat as you are looking at this. I have no clue why this is occuring. I have nine different sites and for the most part I use the same SEO techniques for each site. All of my other sites are spidered correctly, with no PR trouble. This one for some odd reason has been a problem.

I think I probably will just let it hang for a while and see what happens. I am considering chopping up the site into several smaller sites narrowing down the niche even further, so instead of redesigning this site I may just build a few new ones that are basically selling the same products.

Thanks for the help. This is a puzzling one for sure.

Tony Felice

ABW Ambassador
    I wonder if something is up with some new sites and Google. That's happening with a new site of mine too. I have a large site that I put up at the end of March/beginning of April. It has several high PR links linking to it but doesn't have a PR and wasn't completely indexed. It is in the index.

I have another site that I put up in the middle of April that has a DMOZ listing that was added to the index but it also has no PR.

Anyone else have a new site that didn't get a PR?

Kip

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread