Hello ABW Crew,

We have a competitor that's promoting almost identical websites under two different URL and ranking quite highly with both. Is this against standard SE rules and practices. Can either or both sites be banned for this?

Here are the sites in question:

http://www.superheltinne.com/ ranking #5 on "electric scooter" on Google.

http://www.poodee.com/ ranking #11 on "electric scooter" on Google.

If this is poor form, who do I contact and what information should I disclose in my report to get these guys busted?

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

It looks like they are different enough that google won't catch on.

Googles spam report page is:
    http://www.google.com/contact/spamreport.html

I wouldn't bother to tell Google. They wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

You could get a few domains and beat them at their own game. Or just depend on your affiliates to do it for you.

ABW Ambassador
    Those two sites are very different in appearance, and thus different in terms of how Google would index them.
    The only thing that you can do is have better search engine optimization, and thus getting higher results than they do.
    Looking at those two sites, they are not the same.
    That is like saying that Circuit City is the same as Best Buy!

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    Having multiple sites about the same topic isn't spam by itself. That's all I'm saying on this one.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

OK, I do see the difference in lay out. My thinking here was that since the products are the same and the company promoting the site is the same that this could possibly be considered search engine spamming. It's not so much Circuit City online vs. Best Buy online, more like Best Buy online (designed by Webmaster A) and Best Buy online (designed by Webmaster B).

Rather than going the reporting route here, I'll leave it to our slowly growing army of affiliates to decimate the competiton and continue our dominance of in niche... Whoooohoooo!

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

ABW Ambassador
    Frank,
    If THAT had you bugging out ... get ready for another dose of harsh reality .

Go here :
    http://www.google.com/search?q=1-888...&start=10&sa=N

In case you haven't noticed , The results show all scooter sales stores with the same toll-free order number .

ABW Ambassador
    Have some fun with them. Email them telling them you just got notice Google will be removing them from the next index for spamming them with a bunch of different scooter sites all from the same company. Of course in reality Google doesn't consider this Spam, but might be fun giving them a little scare.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Not sure how I put this.

If one of your affiliate created multiple sites dedicated to your product, is he/she considered spamming and should be reported too ?

Regards,

=xo=

ABW Ambassador
    I think you all need to look a little more closely at what they are actually doing, rather than making erroneous assumptions. Last time I looked, hidden text, hidden links and cross-linking domains solely to increase rankings were spam.

ABW Ambassador
    Isn't cross linking domains the best way to get your other sites into the Google database? How can it be spamming if the contents compliment each other? By having both sites selling scooters, isn't that the perfect link exchange? relevancy is the most important consideration isn't it?
    Not spamming at all

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Isn't cross linking domains the best way to get your other sites into the Google database? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How can it be spamming if the contents compliment each other? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It's a matter of intent.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> By having both sites selling scooters, isn't that the perfect link exchange?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Both sites ? You think there's only two, then ?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Not spamming at all<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sorry, you're wrong. Hidden links and hidden text are spam, regardless of debates over the linking. It's that simple.

ABW Ambassador
    Link exchanges are spam.

----
    -J
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

ABW Ambassador
    Where are the hidden links and the hidden text?
    If the two sites are sufficiently different, then it cannot be considered spamming (however many there are)
    How do you know that the operators of those sites intend to spam? Surely intent is impossible to verify in this case?
    Take Ritz camera and Wolf camera on Befree. Their sites are almost identical, and run by the same company. Is that spamming?
    If I develop a site that is going to sell books, and then another that sells gifts. If having the books on the gift site considered spamming if those identical books are also on the book site? Books are gifts aren't they?
    Is it their intention to spam? Do I not include jewelry on my jewelry site if it is also on my main site? Am I wrong if I do?
    If 10 people use a script that is readily available for various merchants, and do not change anything, are they going to be spamming the search engines?

Doesn't every search engine have a different interpretation of what is considered spamming?

ABW Ambassador
    You're getting very hung up on the multiple sites using the same products thing, CJShoppingNetwork.

All search engines consider hidden links and hidden text to be spam. They are using hidden links/hidden text. Therefore they are spamming. QED.

As for the rest of your questions - I'll take 'em one by one:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How do you know that the operators of those sites intend to spam? Surely intent is impossible to verify in this case?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Because they are hiding the cross-linking of the domains and that gives a strong indication of their intent.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Take Ritz camera and Wolf camera on Befree. Their sites are almost identical, and run by the same company. Is that spamming?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No idea. Never seen the sites and don't have the inclination to look into it. They might be spamming, they might not.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If I develop a site that is going to sell books, and then another that sells gifts. If having the books on the gift site considered spamming if those identical books are also on the book site? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No, that isn't spam.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do I not include jewelry on my jewelry site if it is also on my main site? Am I wrong if I do? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Whether you include the jewelry is up to you. No you wouldn't be wrong to do so.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If 10 people use a script that is readily available for various merchants, and do not change anything, are they going to be spamming the search engines? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Probably, yes. Mirror domains and cookie cutter domains are considered spam by the search engines.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You're getting very hung up on the multiple sites using the same products thing, CJShoppingNetwork<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all, just voicing my opinion

Looking at the urbanscooters site I think more could be done to optimize this site for the search engines. A better way to spend your time then trying to get others removed. That is the slow way to get to the top.

Jane,

Yeah, I know our site is lacking in the SEO department. It's on our to do list. Unfortunately, the to do list is extremely long. If we weren't already the #1 trafficked site in our niche it would probably be higher on the list. But hey, if this guy is an spam laden evil doer, it only takes a few minutes to report and badabing we're bumped up two rankings on Google across a laundry list of keywords. That's worth a couple of minutes of my time... not to mention the learning experience.

Our personal SEO is a work in progress, however, our affiliates don't seem to mind much. More profit for them until we figure it out, right? Whoooohooooo!!! Go team GO! Scoot on my brothers and sisters

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

2 sites with different domains seems fine to me. A merchant with 100's or 1000's of affiliates. The affiliates basically make doorway pages to the merchants site. I sure hope this doesn't become considered spam.

ABW Ambassador
    Let me clarify my own position. I don't think that multiple sites about the same topic or featuring the same set of products is spam in itself. Nor do the search engines.

That isn't why these scooter sites are spam. They are spamming - but it isn't really anything to do with the fact that they have 8 or 9 electric scooters sites.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread