ABW Ambassador
    OK, I know this has been asked before, but cannot find the thread. Anyone point me to it? Or anyone answer this:

What is the Google friendly way to have two domains pointing to the same site? I have heard talk of 301 redirects. What is that?
    Can you just point both domains (.co.uk & .com) to same directory on webspace or is this considered spam by Google?

I am not trying to Spam Google. The sites in question are one of my brothers clients and the two domains are more of a "brand awareness" issue. They wanted to make sure they would capture visitors who typed the URL directly whichever ending they used.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    Wow. Lots of views, no answers.

Andy Williams

Andy,

I was struggling with this myself too. I learned that "301 Permanent Redirect" is best to use when switching from one domain to other. Like I understood, it is NOT good to have both the domains pointing to the same website, i.e. physical location. But if you use a 301 to redirect your visitors from your old domain to the new domain, SEs will pick this up and change the links.

I am not an expert on this, but I have been researching this because it also concerns me. If you want to do a 301, the way you do this depends on what kind of server you host your site at (Linux, NT...). The quickest way to find how to this is to just type "301 permanent redirect" in google and browse through the results.

Alex
    AlexBet Design

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Alex
    However, I am not moving domains. I want both the .co.uk and the .com domains to point to the same website. It is a branding issue - in case someone types in .com by mistake or .co.uk. I want all visitors to either domain to see the same site.

Someone over at WMW said that if both domains have same IP address, then pointing both to the same files will not be a problem. No one seems definite though.

Andy Williams

My experience:

On our Norwegian (in)fertility site, we have added a couple of domains, for type-ins almost like what you want. We don't promote these domains.

We have not set up the site to alias the domains, but use our domain control panel (RegisterFly) to forward the extra domains to specific sub-sections of the main site, and not to the front page. Don't know if that counts for anything, but traffic comes.

We've had it set up like this for more than 6 months. We still hold #1 and #2 on our main keywords.

I guess it depends on your control panel, but on mine I just specify multiple domains for one hosting account.

I have one site with about a dozen different (but related) domains pointing to it for type-in traffic and it still beats the competition in Google.

It can cause problems with other SEs. In particular, Gigablast gets confused but frankly that's no big deal.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread