I know that it is very difficult to get an AM site listed in Dmoz. The traffic from Dmoz is almost nill, with the real benefit being in PR. I had an idea I was going to try and wanted to see if others have done something similar.

For example let's say one had a AM site with baseball merchandise. On the same domain name what if you would write an essay on the history of the Phillies or something like that and isolate that section of the site with only a link back to the homepage. Since the section you are submitting to dmoz is not the actual AM portion of the site would you think that a Dmoz editor would be more likely to list that essay in the directory?

Tony Felice

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    That sure should qualify as a content page.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Not if the editor for that area has his own baseball AM site

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    It all depends on the editor and the content. If it looks authoritative and original, then it just might get in. If it looks like someone threw it together in order to get into DMOZ, then it probably won't.

It's not a bad idea to mix c*ntent and affiliate links on the same site to get the benefit of PageRank.

You could flip it on its head though and run the affiliate site as a subset of the content site.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Tony: If I'm not mistaken, DMOZ rules strongly recommend that editors only link to the main, toplevel url. So called "deep linking" is allowed only in special circumstances.

I too want to know how to get my AM site listed in directories; but it's clearly AM so Yahoo, DMOZ, etc are basically out.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yeah, the only sites I've gotten into the Commie Directory are set up like Dynamoo said.

But even that's no guarantee--Crazy Guy's comment isn't all that far out!

~Revenue is King

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Welcome to ABW, Follower!

I've gotta wonder a bit about that name you picked...

~Revenue is King

follower, you are right about that. I forgot about that aspect of dmoz.

Here is the copy from the editors guidelines.

General Rule: In the vast majority of categories and branches, deeplinking is the exception rather than the rule. Deeplinks should offer content that is unique and extremely useful to a particular category. There are no strict rules regarding the type of site that should or should not be deeplinked. Providing deeplinks, in a uniform way, to sites that offer extremely useful and unique content can add value to the directory in a few cases (e.g. categories with very limited content, and where the meat of the available web content is typically buried within larger sites). However, editors should be very judicious when adding deeplinks of a particular URL. If you are uncertain about adding deeplinks, ask an experienced editor, such as a meta or an editall, for advice or guidance. Ultimately, all deeplinking decisions are subject to staff approval.

So then I guess the best solution is to host a pure content site on a separate URL and use that for the dmoz, goguides, joeant, etc to build up PR and then link that site to my AM site.

Shame I have to do it that way. I really am against giving away content for free.

Tony Felice

As much as you may dislike giving away content for free, one good site in dmoz will end itself to people linking to your automatically.
    Using the leverage from that site can easily give you a good pr to a few existing affiliate sites.
    It does work and works well.

Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible..

Ebates is listed in dmoz

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose." Jack Handy

ABW Ambassador
    Yes they are. Despicable isn't it?

Yeah...they offer unique content.
    No...they're not an affiliate site.

Well. Could always complain.....

----
    -J
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

[Ebates is listed in dmoz ]

Well that just takes the cake, doesn't it

If you were new to this game you could very quickly get dis-illusioned.

But, hey what the hell, just another story we can tell our grandkids about the injustices, pitfalls and blatant theft we experienced in the early days of net marketing.

If you happen to be new to the game, sitting on the sidelines, don't let it get to you, don't give up.

Follow your dream, be ready to learn, adapt quickly and believe in yourself.

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    http://dmoz.org/Home/Homemaking/Frugality/Refunding/

Category editor: terih
    http://dmoz.org/profiles/terih.html
    http://dmoz.org/cgi-bin/send.cgi?toeditor=terih

----
    -J
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

Just cause I feel like being a butt head, I sent the following to Terih the editor for the category the Ebates is listed in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hi, TeriH.

I saw that you have Ebates listed in DMOZ. I understand that Affiliate Marketing sites are disallowed in the DMOZ listing. Especially sites with as many affiliate links as Ebates.

With this in mind could you please reply and let me know what criteria a person has to follow to get there affiliate rebate/coupon/shopping site listed in DMOZ.

Thanks for your time
    Steve <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cc'd the staff also. Think I'll get a reply?

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

ABW Ambassador
    I operate a number of domains and I have gotten exactly THREE into the "Open Directory Project" (aka DMOZ). Which I will admit is three more than I have in Yahoo. I had four; however one was inexplicably removed.

For all it's yada yada about a bigger better HUMAN powered directory it seems to have fallen prey to petty internal politics and the whims of it's editors.

-------
    ExchangeReview.com
    ...success or failure; I proceed on with grim determination and persistence until the end.
    Stanley Holtsclaw 04/30/03

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread