I think your search engine needs a major overhaul. Your latest update is showing pages I deleted in NOVEMBER!!! You think you have it All under control but, in fact, you s*ck.

The results are at LEAST TWO MONTH'S OUT OF DATE !!!!

HEY....IT IS MAY !!!

I hope that memo makes it to the BORED MEETING...

Doc

"From this angle, it is hard to tell if they are sitting on their hands or merely covering their tails" - Murphy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doc Sawyer:
    I think your search engine needs a major overhaul. Your latest update is showing pages I deleted in NOVEMBER!!! You think you have it All under control but, in fact, you s*ck.

The results are at LEAST TWO MONTH'S OUT OF DATE !!!!

HEY....IT IS MAY !!!

I hope that memo makes it to the BORED MEETING...

Doc

"From this angle, it is hard to tell if they are sitting on their hands or merely covering their tails" - Murphy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me paraphrase:

Please remove all my pages from your free index, quit sending me free traffic I probably didn't deserve anyway, and please don't visit my site again. Thank You.

----
    -JM
    When you're down It's a long way up
    When you're up It's a long way down

hmm your right Doc Sawyer, I have pages that are several months old that I deleted and they are still showing up in google.

xtremeshopping.org inc.
    Reaching a goal in affiliate marketing? View mine: http://www.xtremeshopping.org/mygoal.html

Jason
    Santa Cruz

Before you can throw out all the trash you have to gather it up. Maybe that's what they are doing?

ABW Ambassador
    Its a screwup, GoogleGuy is PR, damage control. They should keep there trash off the main Google, let them mess around with the database, apply their filters and when its all ready to go, then release it to the main, aol, yahoo. Just think they messed up somewhere.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

what is going on. my traffic has decreased from google since Friday. Something wierd is going on with google's update.

xtremeshopping.org inc.
    Reaching a goal in affiliate marketing? View mine: http://www.xtremeshopping.org/mygoal.html

Jason
    Santa Cruz

Same here.. I have random sites with PR0, page snippets two or three months old, a site dropped from the index altogether, whole sites coming back from the dead, and stupidly good results for some search terms.

It's a mess. It's taken over two weeks to get this update out.. I suspect they'll be working hard on getting a BETTER update out soon.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

I agree trust! Its like they were experimenting with a new algo and totally screwed it up. Maybe they've LOST the results of the last deep crawl?
    Jason: My google traffic has dropped a bunch too

Yes, it does look like an OLD index overlayed with Freshbot results. And no deepcrawl results.

It *does* look like the sort of thing you'd do if you had database problems and where trying to use a backup. This looks like a HUGE cock-up to me.

________

Google have stated (publicly) that you are seeing an older d/base, upon which they are gradually applying the new filter, backlink data etc, and to which they will also gradually introduce FreshBot data

Believe it or not, this is what they *meant* to happen. Just hold tight, the results will settle and propagate eventually (and it looks like the domain farms are going to be in a drought, so tough if thats your top technique). I think they are rolling out the "no PR from expired domains" thing hard on sj / fi, so a LOT of sites are going to dump (and the owners won't know why. Suits me )

Where did you see that, TallTroll? There's so much noise at Webmaster World that it's impossible to find real information. I've never seen this much furore over a Google update before.

Here's the odd thing.. the expired domains that went PR0 two updates ago are now producing half decent Google results, even though they are still PR0 according to the toolbar (indeed, lots of people are reporting unexpected PR0s).

Indeed, the Toolbar PR seems fundamentally screwed up. I've got several quite new sites at PR0 producing really good keyword results. The advice I have been able to get out of WMW is "don't panic" if you see PR0s.

________

Something I did read at WMW was about the PR0 issue on new sites and pages. If the underlying index is from Feb/March, then basically Google doesn't properly understand the PR for anything later than that and is displaying PR0.

So, if your site or page is less than two months old, the PR display will be incorrect. However, PR appears to be being factored in to the SERPs correctly.

________

I can't point you at the thread, cos I can't find it either, its well buried (there have been circa 3k posts on this update alone!), but trust me, I DID see it (I think it was a "summary" post by chiyo). As an alternative, WebGuerilla has pulled together a nice "summary" thread too http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/13088.htm

(not sure what policy on off-board URL drops is - apologies if its not OK, but its just the only way to convey the info. I haven't seen a private message system?)

&gt;&gt; I've never seen this much furore over a Google update before.

Nor have I. I think the Google mods inboxes must have melted ( "[Google News] New Discussion Notification", repeat ad infinitum). There have been as many posts about this update as all the previous half dozen combined got.

As for the toolbar thing, there was singificant b!tching about a recent version of the toolbar (1.61, I think) which was reporting crap PR data (just remembering the last site, and displaying it again and stuff). Also, Google seem to be in the throes of yet another PR recalc run at this moment, which will screw up the data anyway. I've just seen one site go from a PR4 to PR3 for no apparent reason (pleeeze can I have my dmoz listing? I've waited 18 months so far)

&gt;&gt; The advice I have been able to get out of WMW is "don't panic" if you see PR0s.

Just so. Straight PR doesn't have same weight it used to anyway, it's far more about contextual factors these days (NB for techheads / maths geeks only, check the recent Google patent and compare it with Krishna Bharats "Hilltop" paper, and the original "Backrub" paper. "Hilltop", or something like it is here to stay apparently. Also, if you really want to fry your brain try examinign the "eigentrust" document. *shudder*). A PR3 link where you can contol the anchor text is worth more than a link from a PR4 or 5 where you can't

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(not sure what policy on off-board URL drops is - apologies if its not OK, but its just the only way to convey the info. I haven't seen a private message system?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're fairly relaxed here at ABW - see the rules. Mostly we disallow spam and links to members sites without their authorisation.

That's a good summary, thanks. I'd seen some of that but you're right about the meltdown.

HOWEVER.. I did spot an opportunity for a bit of niche marketing. A huge number of new sites have dropped out of the index, so there's the possibility of driving additional sales through affiliate links, assuming the freshbot is still working. I'm working one one for an outfit with a major advertising campaign who's site has dropped out of the index. Maybe I'll be able to retire at last

________

ABW Ambassador
    Aw, who cares. It's only a search engine . I really don't have any deep insight into this 'update' but it is a little annoying that pretty much none of the work I've done in the last 30-45 days is showing up in Google whereas it is pretty much all there in every other search engine.

I'm off to Search Engine Strategies London in a couple of weeks. It's going to be interesting hearing what Google says about it there. Personally, I think that - no matter what their intent - they've made a bit of a hash of this. However, our opinions as webmasters and SEOs don't really matter. When the surfing public starts to find the results are irrelevant or finds another SE they like better, that's when things start to get interesting.

It is about time that happened. From a professional point of view, I'm bored with Google now and their algo is starting to fail them. It was always based on a flawed premise, but it really isn't scaling very well. I don't have anything against Google or any other SE for that matter - I couldn't care less where traffic is coming from, but a bit of variety would be nice.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Phoey..you have to join to read it. I feel like joining yet another thing like I feel like getting shot.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    OMG YOU POSTED A URL OMG MODS PLEASE SNIP THAT OMG

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I haven't seen a private message system?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> While I do prefer this forum software (only slightly) to that abomination of Brett's - his pet project, at least he does have a fairly intuitive PM system.

To send a PM, click on the person's name in a post, select Invite to a private topic, and go from there. Want to send one to a random person? Good Luck. Don't know if its possible w/o them being in your contact list. There are probably other ways I am not aware of.

HTH.

----
    -JM
    Banana Free in 2003. (and 2004, 2005, 2006, ...)

&gt;&gt; OMG YOU POSTED A URL OMG MODS PLEASE SNIP THAT OMG

LOL. Cheers Joseph

&gt;&gt; Phoey..you have to join to read it.

Oops. Didn't realise that thread was marked members only, sorry (I'm a member, obviously, so I got in no probs)

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread