Just curious - what search engines check this out anymore? It seems like the biggies - at least the biggies these days - couldn't care less about the keywords meta tag.

I find myself less and less concerned with what goes up there. As long as it contains the same keywords I'm optimizing for in the text, title and tags, I figure it's good enough.

Inktomi and Altavista still recommend "keywords", with fairly specific instructions. The general consensus on search engine boards is that Inktomi is the only major engine that still gives a lot of weight to the "keywords" tag, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss AV if they've bothered to give advice about the tag.

A bunch of the minor-leagures (like Aeiwi and Metaseeker ) apparently will not index sites without "keywords" tags. It's your call as to whether you consider those types of engines worth the effort.

To tell the truth, I stopped using "keywords" tags years ago, but I've started putting it back on a few pages just to see if it helps. I am far more conservative with the tag nowadays, including only 2 or 3 key phrases per page.

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: islander ]

What islander said.

No harm in putting 4 or 5 relevant keywords which are also used in the Title tag and the body text.

- What you guys said -
    Yep, this is pretty much what I thought - thanks!

Does anyone know if there's a significant penalty imposed by some SEs for having an occasional word in the keywords meta tag list that is *not* in the body text?

I'm using a datafeed from a vendor that has a "keywords" field that frequently has a couple of keywords out of ten that are *not* in the product name or description fields. So they won't appear on my web page.

Is this worth worrying about?

-- Mike

As previously stated, Ink and AV actively index the keywords tag, Google does not, but they all use it as part of the spam checking algo.

The same general rule as always applies here, what would you do if there were no search engines? Me, I'd have a keywords tag, with my top 1 - 3 words / phrases, and nothing that doesn't appear on the page

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Unless I forget, which is rare, I use the keywords tag.

Inktomi doesn't have the reach of Google, but it's nothing to sneeze at so I want all pages ready for any free spidering that happens! And when it's NOT free spidering, you can bet that all meta tags are in there!

I don't put a big amount of effort into it--a few phrases that also appear on the page are all--but I try to make my pages friendly for any engine that wants to send hits my way.

That's not for feed pages, though--for feed pages, there's not enough return for the amount of w*rk it'd take to check them all individually. Instead, I take a look at some of the records in the feed, and decide what to do with the keywords based on that look. Sometimes I use the ones that come in the feed and sometimes I don't! If I don't, I come up with some other no-w*rk way to get some keywords into the tag...

~Revenue is King

Unfortunately .... for those of you that do not include keyword/description meta tags ... your missing a traffic/sales making element!

There are many search directories online that specifically use meta tags as their guide on how to index you in their directory. Without these meta tags .. you are not listed .. period.

IMHO .... always use meta tags. Even though you may perceive these directories as "insignificant" in luring power/strength ... a viewer is a potential sale ... we'll take our viewers any way we can get them to the site and try to convert them when they visit.

If it only takes you 2 minutes to make these tags .. then why not use them to your fullest advantage?

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center

I see our meta-tag keywords all the time in searches, you should keep it.

As for being penalized for keywords in the meta-tag and not in the body, it hasn't bothered us, but we haven't any way to check it actually. Maybe Markymark will weigh in here...

Fred

"Zymurgy's Law of Volunteer Labor: People are always available for work in the past tense."

ABW Ambassador
    "Google does not"

One of the Google myth, Google does.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

From an SEW article http://www.searchenginewatch.com/ser...le.php/2165061

"...and newer search engines such as Google and FAST never added support at all."

OK, I know this is one of things that can change from month to month, but in general :

G do NOT use the contents of the <meta keywords> tag for ranking, although they do use it for spam detection

There may be a limited exception in the case of a site with absolutely no textual content (all Flash etc)

Google have made various statements at various times, usually indicating that they do not use <meta keywords> for ranking.

For instance, older versions of the G Search Appliance copy made reference to the SA being configurable to index meta tag content including keywords unlike the public version (my emphasis, and paraphrased)

Experimental / anecdotal evidence also suggests that G WILL NOT rank you for the content of your <Meta keywords>, but might penalise you for it

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread