Hi all,

I have recently set-up an affiliate website and have a number of questions which I think you guys could help me with.

How important are incoming links?

I have 3 incoming links but still haven't received any search engine listings.

I recieved these links by signing up at free directories.

Do you guys know of any other ways to get incoming links?

Kind Regards
    Ryan

This incoming links stuf must be nonsence. I just link to one of my own pages that gets spidered frequently and I get in right away if I don't make any strange code errors. Usually, the right search term comes right up on the first page as well.

PR doesn't mean anything. The real question is do you or don't you come up in the search where you want to.

Don't give out links and don't solicit any for my sales sites.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

And now for something completely different...

Let me put to you this way. Site XYZ, which generates far more traffic than you, agrees to swap links. Visitors to Site XYZ see your link and click on it, going to your site. Thereby, not only do you increase your google rank and you get another potential source of traffic.

Keep in mind if you want your link on another site, you need to recriprocate. I often send out "The Link To Your Site Has Been Deleted" letters and delete sites that don't recriprocate links.

I agree with SSanf. I just put a link on one of my other sites and I am in. If the only reason you are linking to another site is for a link exchange don't do it. That will eventually be treated as the spam that it is.

Don't send out emails like the ones I receive asking for a link exchange and say you will tell me your site if I am interested. If you don't have the guts to tell me your URL up front you can be sure you get no response from me.

Jane,

Send me food and margritas regularly from Chuy's and I'll add a link to your site...

Thanks guys.

Let me get this right - you guys think that it isn't that important to have many incoming links as long as you have a page that has been spidered and then you link the rest of your pages to that page.

My problem is that google hasn't spidered my site at all. I found out that they wouldn't spider my site if I didn't have any incoming links. Now I have incoming links why haven't they sent their spider?

Although this sounds like the same problem a whole bunch of poeple are having.

Kind Regards
    Ryan

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Sometimes it takes a while for the Googlebot to come. But it will eventually.

If it's been a long time maybe it had already spidered the sites the link is on for this cycle so hasn't seen the link yet--and won't until the next cycle.

If you want to avoid worrying about missing cycles, you need to have the incoming link on a page that gets visited by "freshbot". That's a different Google spider that checks pages that are updated quite often. Those who get spidered by "freshie" claim they can get a new site indexed right away just by putting a link on the site Freshie likes!

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    I used to get new sites in the index (within 36hrs) via freshbot. I found that not updating a site for a month causes freshbot to go elsewhere. I just finished a website, and I have one that's 1/3 ready for primetime.

Lesson learned: One can win the first stage of a race, but that does not mean you can coast through the other 154,211,641,230 stages and expect to win the prize.

Ryan,

Create a site map if you already haven't done so. It takes a matter of minutes to create one and will help you get your entire site index.

As far as links, if you build your site good enough, you can people to link deep into your site and not just your home page.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread