Google Sponsored Links - You know the 2 at the top of the page that cost at least $5000.00. Do they pull these from adwords if they don't have someone paying for this space? Cause my site is right up there with Home Depot and I sure as heck am not paying 5000.00. I do have some paid adwords.

ABW Ambassador
    I get that sometimes too for some ads. Sometimes when they don't have 2 Sponsored links on top for certain keywords, they will throw the highest bidded Adwords Ad up there.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

I think most of those spots are available through adwords. Quite a few of my listings are in there because even adwords isn't all that competitive.

>> Do they pull these from adwords if they don't have someone paying for this space?

Sometimes. There seems to be a "magic number" you have to hit, based on a combination of your CTR and maxCPC figures for any given search

Example : Given that the "target" for our phrase is .2

a) CTR = 10%, maxCPC = $2.00, => 0.1 x 2 = .2
    b) CTR = 20%, maxCPC = $1.00, => 0.2 x 1 = .2
    c) CTR = 5%, maxCPC = $1.00, => 0.5 x 1 = .05
    d) CTR = 20%, maxCPC = $3.00, => 0.2 x 3 = .6

In these cases, a), b) and d) would be promotion candidates (but note that they need not actually be paying their specified maxCPC, although they would be vulnerable if a bidding war broke out underneath them)

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the real world targets are somewhere from .15 and up.

Google will show up to 2 listings in the top ('Premium') listings area. If no or only 1 Premium listing exist, then Google will often (usually) feed the top performing AdWords into that slot.

My last conversation with Googlers indicated that Google is having a hard time selling inventory in the Premium slots. Adwords has really taken over this spot and if you have a good rep there you can usually get away with getting the Premium slot for the cost of a cpc AdWord.

Recent changes to Google's Advertising interface also de-emphasized the Premium listings. Adwords continue to dominate Google's dance toward courting more ad-dollars (ala Overture).

So, yes, get a top CTR and max cpc and you'll often find your listing in the top Premium slot at the top of the page and fed to Googles affiliates...

It's great, that Google don't want empty premium listing.

Rosalind Gardner earned $436,797 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. She reveals ALL her secrets step by step in her Super Affiliate Handbook (267 pages) www.renio.biz/rosalind/

Well if I was paying 5 grand for the spot and they let someone have a free ride under me, I don't think I would be too happy. Why don't they just lower the price.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread