Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Here are our projections for the month of October, 2003.

Fastclick: $1,500.00
    WebSponsors: $450.00
    CJ: $100.00

About 75% of our affiliate banners, other than those of Fastclick, are associated with CJ.
    You can form your own opinion from this little sample of current advertising revenue.

huhu

huhu that's too bad.. I don't use Fastclick. But I'm averaging about $100-$200 per network I use. and I use about 3-4 active one's

Jason
    xtremeshopping.org
    aim: ssn jason
    Xtreme's partnership information

To be persuasive, we must be believable.To be believable, we must be credible. To be credible, we must be truthful. Edward R. Murrow

"you can do anything, if you put your mind to it!"

3. Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    You can form your own opinion from this little sample of current advertising revenue.

Opinion: Content sites + aff. marketing banners = Bad!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

I agree with Leader and wonder how much you would have made with adsense.

BTW - Fastclick paying anything over $100.00 is a complete miracle.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Why Haiko? Why is it a miracle? When you get the necessary number of impressions/clicks, FastClick will pay you accordingly. No problem whatsoever. FastClick is a very trustworthy company. We get 10,000-15,000 impressions daily on one of our servers. The rest of our ads are mainly CJ. We also have ads from BeFree, LinkShare, WebSponsors and
    iCommissions. We have various servers on credit, golf, cellphones, etc.
    Later...

huhu

That's pretty damn good, huhu!

Around $500 a week. ... I would imagine that to be, perhaps, above average for an affiliate.

Uh-oh, here comes the story (tall tale) tellers. I did it now!

OPINION: Contenet sites + affiliate marketing banners = a great opportunity to make MUCH more money.

ClickMagazine.NET

quote:
    OPINION: Contenet sites + affiliate marketing banners = a great opportunity to make MUCH more money.

Save yourself a lot of pain Perry, and go read any of the basic introductions to affiliate marketing. They will all tell you (for good reason) that throwing up merchant's banners on content sites is one of the worst ways of making money through affiliate programs.

The typical beginner falls into the trap of believing that if you have a site about widgets, people visiting are interested in buying widgets. So if you add some pretty banners to your site for a widget merchant, you'll make money.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. Unless your site is actually targeted at people looking to buy stuff (such as "advice on buying a new car"), most people are not interested in buying.

When I visit a recipe site, it doesn't mean I'm looking to buy kitchen equipment right now.

So you need a lot of visitors to get just a few that do happen to be interested in buying something. Then you have to hope they see the banners and don't mentally block them out, like most people have learnt to.

Then you have to hope your merchant converts.

Ergo...small returns.

Yes, undoubtedly you'll find a few exceptions, but the banner really isn't the best vehicle to promote your merchants.

quote:
    Around $500 a week. ... I would imagine that to be, perhaps, above average for an affiliate.

I suspect your average affiliate is making just over $0 a week.

But it's certainly possible to make good cash. I work 2 days a week and make about $4000 a month profit. I know affiliates who work less and make more.

But it takes time and effort. Even overnight successes usually turn out to be based on several years accumulating experience and knowledge first. Unless you're very lucky or very innovative.

Too many people fall for the nonsense many merchants put in their "introduction to our affiliate program" promising fast and easy money.

Successful affiliate marketing is like any business.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    When I visit a recipe site, it doesn't mean I'm looking to buy kitchen equipment right now.~MJCB

That's a perfect example. I found out really quick that all the people who come to my recipe site *already have* tons of cooking stuff! After all, the people so into cooking that they seek out recipes are also so into it that they have a fully-stocked kitchen.

quote:
    Uh-oh, here comes the story (tall tale) tellers. I did it now!~Perry

Oh, you're one of those types who tries to comfort himself by insisting that nobody can do better than he can, and that anyone who claims otherwise is "telling tales." How lame.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    Obviously, Perry is new and doesn't know what an average affiliate makes. Or, the best way to make the money.

I'm not an expert (i'm new too), but isn't there someone nice enough to help him?

In my short experience, I've learned not to just put up a banner too and to target specific items, but I figured it didn't hurt to have the banners up there. Of course, to this day, (this is my 3rd month), I have only 1 sale from any of my banners (I have 5 banners total). Oh well, at least I didn't spend tons of time on them.

One piece of advice I can give Perry, is that I spent a ton of time setting up one of my pages and unfortunately, the commission is only 5% and I have to make $50/quarter to get paid. Since I started at the end of July, it was highly unlikely I would make it in that quarter, it took forever for my pages to get picked up by google. Now, in this quarter I've made about $35. What stinks is that I put in a ton of work and will probably do better at the holidays but my items are seasonal and with such a low commission, it was probably not worth it for me to bother with this particular site. I got so burnt out from it, that I haven't spent much time making new pages. So, be careful on which type of merchants you promote and good luck.

Robin

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I'm not an expert (i'm new too), but isn't there someone nice enough to help him?

I think if Perry wants help, he needs to show some initiative first (and learn a little respect).

Ummmmmm, uh-oh. LOL! Calm down, boys. Hey, did I tell you that I saw Elvis while pumping gas?!!

Leader, go look at Askmen.com. Then go look at ours. If you still dispute it, oh, well. 'nough said.

Also, CERTAIN banners do well. You can ge ta banner that has slow flash, so the reader can ingest it more, while it gives out more info, thus increasing the odds in a visitor clicking on it. Combine that with a content site....

Jim, I do give respect...to the ones who don't tell tale tales. If you state that you make good money, and you REALLLY are, you'll get my respect. If not, that respect goes out the window.

Look, boys, there are a lot of posters who state that they make a lot of money by doing this, when they don't. I know there are many who do, which they have my respect, being that they help others out also, but for the ones who tell tall tales, or, who don't tell the the WHOLE story, is over 90%....

Oh, by the way, was I asking for help?? Ummmm, I think you may want to rethink that one. Perhaps I could teach...you??? ;-) ...

...I was replying to huhu's post. I think that was great.

Excuse me,. I have to go. I'm going on a hunting expediton for Bigfoot.

GET A SENSE OF HUMOR, BOYS!

ClickMagazine.NET

[This message was edited by Perry on October 12, 2003 at 05:54 PM.]

quote:

GET A SENSE OF HUMOR, BOYS!

ClickMagazine.NET

[This message was edited by Perry on October 12, 2003 at 05:54 PM.]

Say something funny and we'll laugh, promise.

ABW Ambassador
    "Look, boys, there are a lot of posters who state that they make a lot of money by doing this, when they don't."

How would you know? Only the poster would know how much they make and i don't think you have access to their stats.

"Oh, by the way, was I asking for help?? Ummmm, I think you may want to rethink that one. Perhaps I could teach...you??? ;-) ...""

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    It's all relative as to what some people think is a lot of money. For me, my measely $250 last month was measely, but for my 2nd month pretty good, and it pays for 1/2 week of babysitting which is A LOT to me!!

Also, for those affiliates in a poor country, $250 can really go a long way.

I don't think people lie about what they make, it's just how successful people say they are and again success is relative. What might be successful to one of us, might not be to someone else, based on what standard they are used to.

BTW TrustNo1,

If you guys don't believe what I said in my original message above, then I have more for you. I have a Ph.D. in mathematics, and I am an expert C++ programmer. I have written programs that can do just about anything imaginable to an HTML/TEXT-file. I can also modify the output of any search engine to create links in the format of my own HTML-pages. I can insert a paragraph between two given strings, after a given string, and before a given string. I can even take all the references using swear words (of my choice) out of hundreds of automatically created HTML-files. On top of this, I have written my own Visual C++ robot that connects to thousands of my links and validates them. If it finds a bad link, it DELETES THE ENTIRE PARAGRAPH in the HTML-file that refers to it.
    This is just another little feed to make sure that some of you non-believers continue your gossip.

Later...

huhu

and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Huhu,

If you haven't tried Google Adsense yet as mentioned above, I would suggest giving it a try for a couple of days just to see what happens. if the 10,000-15,000 impressions daily is targeted traffic you might be pleasantly surprised at how well adsense might do. I know I was. JMO of course!

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

ABW Ambassador
    huhu, what are you talking about? My whole post was directed at Perry.

"If you guys don't believe what I said in my original message above, then I have more for you. I have a Ph.D. in mathematics, and I am an expert C++ programmer. I have written programs that can do just about anything imaginable to an HTML/TEXT-file. I can also modify the output of any search engine to create links in the format of my own HTML-pages. I can insert a paragraph between two given strings, after a given string, and before a given string. I can even take all the references using swear words (of my choice) out of hundreds of automatically created HTML-files. On top of this, I have written my own Visual C++ robot that connects to thousands of my links and validates them. If it finds a bad link, it DELETES THE ENTIRE PARAGRAPH in the HTML-file that refers to it."

And what does all that have to do with people suggesting you might make more with Adsense? I don't use any of them, but i would try both and see which one brings in more money for you.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 12, 2003 at 11:09 PM.]

"Say something funny and we'll laugh, promise."

Look up, like ducks, it just went over your head. Quack quack

"How would you know? Only the poster would know how much they make and i don't think you have access to their stats."

I'm not saying it as a whole. There are exceptions, which, by the way, are in the few. (Ouch! ... I did it again!)

All one has to do, if he knows how, is to do a thorough background check. I have also, talked to other people, who have much better sites and better advertising skills who have told me the realtites of it. You CAN make money, but let's get real here wih the figures. Unless, of course, they have dozens upon dozens of stores (A LOT) that brings those figures.

Yeah, I love that lauging emoticon also. I've been using it alot lately. Ain't it great?!

REM, you'd be surprised by what comes out of people's mouths. I met a few of them. You know how some people are. Thankfully, there are a few of you here who don't do that. For the others, though....

"huhu, what are you talking about? My whole post was directed at Perry."

LOL! Now, THAT, was funny!

You go, huhu. You making that kind of money is great.

ClickMagazine.NET

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, you're just lost aren't you. Please post more, i'm enjoying this.

Ok, if you insist, sweetheart.

Got a compass so I can fnd my way???

ClickMagazine.NET

"Wow, you're just lost aren't you."

Yes, he is, but that's why he has me.

He is amusing in his own special way. He's also pretty good at cooking and cleaning.

He's presently interviewing for the "house hubby" position I have available.

PS: I'm taking other applications too!

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

Yeah, I'm sooooo lost. She helps me out a lot!

Where's that laughing emoticon? Oh, great, I lost that too!!

ClickMagazine.NET

This is one thread that has gone downhill fast. I don't understand Perrys aggressive tone, especially for a guy that has been around these boards for less than a month.

[This message was edited by ToughTurkey™ on October 13, 2003 at 03:31 AM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ..."[This message was edited by ToughTurkey™ on October 13, 2003 at 03:31 AM.]"

Nice move to remember to put in the moon shot!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Strange, very strange indeed.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast