I have about 8 sites up and running. I only link a few of those sites together. One site, however is linked to all and all are linked back to it. My question is about the other sites. I am fearful of being penalized for crosslinking. If I link all 8 sites to all the others, will I be penalized for this? I have heard that google hates crosslinking but have heard that it is not a problem with a small number of sites.

Any additional help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

It's getting to the point I wouldn't worry about the googlenazis anymore. They will get you one way or another. So the hell with them and hope for a new contender to rise to fame soon. Google if you are reading this b**w me.

Goal: to earn one dollar without working for it.

[This message was edited by Heyder on June 23, 2003 at 12:53 AM.]

Sorry, I guess that wasn't much help to your question. I'll try an say this without so much feeling this time.

You own x amount of websites and you want to link them together because they are your sites. Who has the right to give you a penalty for that? No one does. I wish these jerks would start charging for being listed. That way we could complain and get some respect or at least stop paying and they would listen eventually when they don't make money. Then again if we paid they wouldn't care about cross linking either I guess (can't win).

Steveinid, I don't think anyone has a definite answer.

Depends what you mean by cross-linking. If you mean *one* link from each site to all the other sites, then that shouldn't be a problem.

If you mean every page at every site has outgoing links to all your other sites, then you're running a risk.

My feeling is that there are mitigating factors. If your network is more or less a closed loop, with few sites from outside linking in, then you're adding to the risk. If your sites have lots of non-reciprocal incoming links, then your risk is reduced.

Additionally, some of the recent updates suggest that multiple links from one site aren't so valuable anyway. In other words, Google values the first link from site A to site B, but every further link from site A to site B is valued less and less.

When I took out hundreds of crosslinks from within my network, it had no significant impact on subsequent rankings.

Of course, others may have different experiences.

Heyder...
    I understand fully. I started a rant in another thread where I suggested that Google or any other search engine for that matter had no right picking up my sites without my permission and that Google OWES us for the privelege of using out sites. I also wondered what would happen if I sent google a cease and desist on using my sites and all sites in the future and if they wanted to use them they need to ask my permission. The burden would be on them to comply. I wasn't completely serious but they haven't been on my good side lately, either. Seems they are reproducing copyrighted material in their search results.

MJCB....
    thanks for the info. I know of other small networks that seem to do well with this. I expected them to lose their ranking this time around but it didn't happen. I will take that as a go ahead. thanks for the info.

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

Sounds like everyone is not too happy with google this month. Where is the affiliate that took my #2 listing? That is one happy camper! I'm going back to my #12 spot to sulk....

It's a love hate relationship where I'm actually the winner but we want it all and google makes sure that don't happen to easily.

My two cents:

Yes, multiple links from one site to another don't seem to count for very much, indeed they seem to be the same as about one or two links.

You don't want to create a closed loop with links, nor do you want to generate unusual looking link arrangements because Google will sometimes penalise you for this.

If you have sites with a good "Natural PageRank" then you can pass outbound links to sites with no PageRank, which will give them a boost. However, there's no point then linking BACK to your original high-PR site because the new site doesn't have any Natural PageRank of its own, just PageRank you've generated yourself.

Here's the catch.. a competitor could come along and analyse your links and determine that the PageRank is artificially generated and cause you some grief, so for any successful site you need to continue adding inbound links to diversify the way PageRank is generated for that site. This is important because if a competitor can prove a closed loop, you could get penalised and/or dropped altogether.

In other words, use crosslinking (or PageRank passing) sparingly and only where it adds value, and try to make sure that your successful sites have a variety of inbound links, rather than just your own.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread