Hi

My Google friendly site is finished and ready to submit to the search engines but I need to know what is the most effective strategy.

While I am running PPC campaigns immediately I need to know the appropriate steps for search engine marketing. I'm not sure whether I should submit manually to directories or if I should let the search engines find me from a link on someone else's site.

So, basically, if you had a site optimized for Google to get listed that had no inbound links yet, what would you do?

Thanks

Dylan

ABW Ambassador
    Be patient. Google will pick you up if you have a link on another site (as long as that site is linked to one that is already being spidered by Google)

Get working on your pages, and make sure that they are spider friendly.

Personally, I will not link to a site unless they have a pr of at least 4, so make sure you build your site before worrying about linking to other sites.

There is no point linking if you have nothing to link to. It takes time to build a decent site

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

People pay thousands of dollars for the answers to these types of questions... often tens of thousands dollars.

Anyway, if you just built a site with only affiliate links/products, then you will not get listed in DMOZ or any of the other directories. You will have to trade links with other sites. (link exchange)

Do a search on Google for "trade links" or "exchange links with us". You should be able to find some sites that way.

>> So, basically, if you had a site optimized for Google to get listed that had no inbound links yet, what would you do?

*s******* Open it in an IE window with the Toolbar installed, and watch that puppy get spidered

>> I'm not sure whether I should submit manually to directories or if I should let the search engines find me from a link on someone else's site.

Directory listings count as "someone else's site.", as well as having inherent value

>> Personally, I will not link to a site unless they have a pr of at least 4,

Why? I rather LIKE the idea of Google hiding my killer links from my competition (and if you don't think a PR3 link can be killer, you haven't been paying attention Try out the adv. search page, and link.all: syntax at ATW one of these days)

>> People pay thousands of dollars for the answers to these types of questions... often tens of thousands dollars.

I hope so. I just need to find a few of 'em now...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why? I rather LIKE the idea of Google hiding my killer links from my competition (and if you don't think a PR3 link can be killer, you haven't been paying attention ~TallTroll <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto!

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why? I rather LIKE the idea of Google hiding my killer links from my competition (and if you don't think a PR3 link can be killer, you haven't been paying attention ~TallTroll <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Double ditto !

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Well one of my sites just dropped from a 6 to a 5, and is showing in google over 600 links in, in alltheweb it's over 20,000 counting my own. I found a site the other day that had 18 links in google and only two from outside sites, 5 in alltheweb none with over a page rank of 3 and it had a page rank of 4. I just don't get it.

qball, I'm going to get all Zen on you here, but bear with me...

Firstly, understand that there is no PR. Its purely a fictional construct of Googles, derived from their own view of the Web, and how the linkage of it "flows". Don't get hung up on it, it doesn't really matter. G recently got a patent on it, and I understand from those with the maths to understand more than the abstract that it owes quite a bit to Krishna Bharats "Hilltop" algo, which introduced the idea of qualified PR (reaching toward the Holy Grail of "themed PR"), than the original "Backrub" papers. (If anyone out there doesn't have a clue what the hell I'm talking about, don't worry about it too much. The Take Home Message is "relevancy matters")

There is no W3C definition, nor an RFC for it, so it doesn't *really* matter at all

&gt;&gt; Well one of my sites just dropped from a 6 to a 5,

'K, you've probably gone from a low 6, to a high 5. Remember, Toolbar PR is just a logarithmically compressed representation of the "raw" PR value (and I don't really believe what the toolbar tells me these days anyway).

Also, remember that PR can flow OUT of your site, as well as in (otherwise links wouldn't have any value. What you are probably seeing is the residual effect of what I assume are 600 PR4+ reciprocal links, ie although the 600 appear in your link: results, the retained value from each is low. As you reference 20k links including your own, I guess your site is fairly heavily interlinked. This should have the effect of speading the PR evenly around your pages, and I further assume that you must have a few thousand pages. If you have got a fairly uniform PR5 over that many pages, you are doing OK)

&gt;&gt; I found a site the other day that had 18 links in google and only two from outside sites, 5 in alltheweb none with over a page rank of 3 and it had a page rank of 4.

So he probably only just made it over the PR4 threshhold. Its not that hard, remember Toolbar PR is subject to a logarithmic compression. A single decent link should be enough to achieve PR4, provided you aren't "leaking" too much in links out

I'm not keen on Zen, but I am keen on the way Google has rated us lately. It's like great art; I don't understand it and I don't really know what it means, but I like it when I see it.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Well, traffic has gone down a little, so I think it matters some anyway, it's more of a status thing hehe, I've been trying to get a 7 forever and google has been dropping links to my site for months now, it had actually showed over 3000 before December. I know it's probably those sites page rank dropped, etc, but I have a lot of good links pointing to me, six's and fives and a few sevens, not sure how many now, will have to look. Just bug's me more than anything, been trying to increase it for months and now it drops, time to remove the toolbar I think, hehe.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread