Hello -

I am in the middle of developing a site using ASP.NET. Basically, I have thousands of products in a database, and depending on what category the user clicks on on the page, a selection from the database occurs, and a product page with potentially over a thousand products is returned...

I am working on getting the ASP.NET paging going, so the product page will only show, say, 20 products, and at the botton of the screen there are hyper links for :

[1],[2],[3]... etc...representing the pages. So if the user clicks on [2] it will take them to the next 20 records.

With the out of the box ASP.NET paging, the actual hyperlink URL for, example, [2] = <a href="javascript:__doPostBack('MyDataGrid$_ctl34$_ctl1','')">[2]</a>

My question is : will a spider crawl that link to see the next 20 products or not?

I want all of the products to be found by the SE's (along with all of their individual product pages), and am wondering with the pagination done in this way, if the will be found?

Would it behoove me to develop my own custom pagination that has the hypertext URL something like : <a href="www.mysite.com/directory/products.html?category=widgets&page=2">[2]</a>

??

Any help/insight would be appreciated, as this will define how I build the site...

Many thanks!

Danski

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> With the out of the box ASP.NET paging, the actual hyperlink URL for, example, [2] = &lt;a href="javascript:__doPostBack('MyDataGrid$_ctl34$_ctl1','')"&gt;[2]&lt;/a&gt; <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That won't be spidered as it's a javascript link.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Would it behoove me to develop my own custom pagination that has the hypertext URL something like : &lt;a href="www.mysite.com/directory/products.html?category=widgets&page=2"&gt;[2]&lt;/a&gt;
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah, that's OK-ish.
    Really I would use an ISAPI filter to rewrite all the URLs so that they appear as static pages. You'll find that you get many more pages spidered more quickly if you do. Also, as ASP.NET is a relatively new technology, Google has had some issues with it. Firstly, it couldn't display PR on pages with .aspx extensions for some reason (not sure if this is fixed yet) and secondly, it tends not to crawl .aspx pages very deeply.

An ISAPI URL rewriting filter for ASP.NET is the way to go. There's a few commercial ones out there that will do the job just fine.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread