I have a site the is a great performer for me that has been listed in Inktomi for about 4 months. All of a sudden I noticed that I my traffice was WAY down.

It appears from my log files, that sometime last night after 10:00 my site suddenly and completely disappeared from Inktomi, and therefore MSN.

Is this a fluke? Did I get banned? Anybody have experience with type of situation?

Inktomi SLURP is still visiting the site today, so that seems strange if I was banned.

Bsnrjones

ABW Ambassador
    The exact same thing has happemed with me. I e-mail msn search, but have not had a reply yet.

I had my pages in the Inktomi database, and had traffic from MSN. However, the traffic stopped. Inktomi are still indexing my site. I am still not getting any traffic from MSN search though.

Send them an e-mail, and see what they have to say

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I will, let me know if you get a response.

I will admit that I am using some (cough) advanced SEO tactics (cough). However the industry sector is so competitive that everyone on the first page is doing stuff that pushes the limit - if not outright breaks the unwritten rules.

I will see what happens. Until then I will just keep building!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Inktomi keeps putting up a 403 error on one of my sites, even though the site is readable. Dunno what's going on there.

as for this:

- - - - -
    I will admit that I am using some (cough) advanced SEO tactics (cough). However the industry sector is so competitive that everyone on the first page is doing stuff that pushes the limit - if not outright breaks the unwritten rules
    - - - - -

ummmmm, wonder which rules those would be?

A page a day keeps the creditors away.....

ABW Ambassador
    A 403 error means that the server permissions are incorrectly set or you have deliberately forbidden Slurp from viewing a particular directory.

All the server stuff isn't really my area of expertise, but have you tried chmodding the directory with this file in to 755. That should allow everyone, even Inktomi, to read it.

To be honest, I'm not sure that this is the problem - as if it was I would have thought that every visitor would be getting a 403. But it is worth a try.

The other thing that controls permissions is the httpd.conf file. Now if you are hosted by someone else rather than running your own dedicated box, it is possible that they have restricted Slurp for some reason. You would expect to see 403s for every page that Inktomi is trying to spider if that's the case. And you will need to contact your host and get them to sort it out.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. I was sooo pi**ed. A site that was priding $250./mo in commish was gone from msn in a heartbeat. Weird, what was originally 3000+ pages just gone.

I was able to contact msn, but they didn't really understand what I was talking about, although they did try.

I have similar sites set up on the same host (different domain) and they remain in the msn. I have double checked everything, but will go back and check the items markymark mentions.

Still reeling here.......

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."Your talent in the local beauty pageant was making noises with your armpit"

ABW Ambassador
    And I thought it was only me. I was getting around 250 uniques per day from MSN, with about 500+ pages in the index. Now down to 75 visits per day with about 80 pages in the index. Still, Slurp continues to eat away my bandwidth, so have to think sooner or later they will update their database with the new pages they are indexing.

Jim

markymark - I haven't updated the site in 6 months. All of a sudden, Inktomi says they can't access it. I go there, on multiple occaisions, multiple pcs, and pull it up fine. I tell them to update their info on my site, they do so: two days later, the 403 sign comes back on, but I can still access the site fine.

I have 'a good number' of sites hosted on ipowerweb, all the others are fine, just this one.

My host on the site in question is TH Media.

My traffic didn't just go down, my domain vanished completely - poof!

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."Your talent in the local beauty pageant was making noises with your armpit"

Well, its good to see I am not the only one. Slurp is still hitting my robots.txt file, and picking up a few pages now and then. All the codes are coming back fine. I have changed nothing in my robots.txt file that would have given him problems. Really weird! REALLY FRUSTRATING!!! This site was a big earner for me....time to keep on building.

ABW Ambassador
    Have you tried paid inclusion? Free is good but i like paid inclusion for some of my pages thats gets updated a lot. 48 refresh and if you don't like where you are at, you can make changes and in 48 hrs. see if it helped or not.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Same thing happened to me - coinciding nicely with my pay inclusion for a few pages - a few months later all the free ones were dropped, this is about 8 months ago.

Abigail

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread