Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've been trying to figure out why my site has a PR of zero... It's been online since late last year, my main page has been listed to then be dropped in the next update. I have some sub-pages listed but with a PR of zero as well. Google spiders my site monthly...but still PR of zero. I think it's because according to google, I have no links back to my site on the net. But i'm listed in dmoz (which in turn has me listed in other directories), and I'm listed in dozens of web hosting co directories. Do I need to join a link exchange and setup a links page? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,

dinohost.com

is your domain an expired domain?

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

No ... I registered it as a new domain.

www.dinohost.com

Dr. Fel,

I'm not no expert on SEO and I'm sure Marky can help you out but one of my guesses would be the search engine doesn't really have anything to go on.

I looked at http://www.dinohost.com/design.html and IMO it would be hard for a spider to figure out what was on the page.

The Title is " Dinohost Web Hosting Services- Web Design " I see Web Hosting listed one on the page and that is at the bottom. I think Web Design was listed 2 times.

To me it doesn't seem like enough spider food for Google to pick up any content on the site. I don't see any alt tags on the images, I could be wrong though.

I use to have a good site that shows what the engines see when they come to your site but can't seem to find it in my bookmarks. Maybe someone else can list that site.

Remember, I am no expert in Search engine Optimizing so take my advise loosely.

BTW, really nice looking site!

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Programs That Just Might Work

Thank you for the compliment on the site...I kinda sold out and used a template so I can't take all the credit, I had a homegrown design before but I decided to go with a more "professional" look for web hosting. I still think the links back to my site are the problem, maybe someone who's experienced with Google can give me a suggestion.

www.dinohost.com

ABW Ambassador
    Your home page is only 9k. Lots of pictures, but hardly any text. Google likes text.
    Looking at your source code, the first word doesn't occur until half way through the page. You need text at the top of your pages, and not just pictures.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I don't think PR has anything to do with keywords and content, but rather the number of pages and incoming links. Changing the text won't fix your PR.

It may be that you're under some sort of penalty. Did you do anything funny - optimization - wise in the past? Things like use hidden text (white text on white background) or participate in link farms?

Not saying you did, just it would explain why you have backlinks yet a PR of 0. Normally a PR of 0 means either it's a relatively new site with no backlinks (not so in your case) or it's been penalized by Google.

i'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. One of my sites started in January 2003 has a PR of 4/10 with 1 backlink according to google. And that back link is from my Brothers links page on his website. But, I have lots of text. Most of your important words are not even words at all but a picture. Google can't read text on pictures. Google doesn't hate you, he just doesn't know who you are.

I am also no expert, FWIW.

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

I've never used "dirty" tactics like hidden text and such, so it cant be that... Steve thnx for the comparison, it's very useful info to know about your 1 backlink and PR4. Maybe it is about the text...hmmmm I dont wanna mess up my nice design...you think alt tags will do the trick?

www.dinohost.com

ABW Ambassador
    My jewelry site went into Google in April with a PR of 3, with zero backlinks. PR is not just backlinks.
    It is a combination of many factors. However, I think that you really need more content that Google can index.
    Your layout is good, but with a PR of zero you are going to lose visitors.
    Add more content, get more backlinks, and see how things go next time.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> PR is not just backlinks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes, it is.

As for DinoHost...from what I can tell your PR0 isn't a penalty; just a PageRank of less than 1. As others have said, you need to get some more links in. Get the sites linking to you to use 'web hosting services' in the anchor text and optimize the homepage accordingly.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

How should I get other sites to link to my site? Do you know any good link exchanges? Are link exchanges and link pages frowned upon by google?

www.dinohost.com

You have nothing for google to get a grip on. Move all your design examples to other pages and cross link them.

By all means add the alt tags to image links and populate them with appropiate keywords. Place more keyword rich text on your home page.

PR should not be your main concern at this time. Get a good SERP first and then create a reciprocal links page and swap links with other similar sites for PR.

Do not bother with link exchanges. Their merit is questionable and are not looked upon too favorably by some search engines.

If you want to pursue web design, you will have to show people you know some good HTML. Your HTML code is lacking.

You are also into a very competitive field. You will have to be good.

Gene
    TCS

=== Quote ===
    Get a good SERP first and then create a reciprocal links page and swap links with other similar sites for PR.

Do not bother with link exchanges. Their merit is questionable and are not looked upon too favorably by some search engines.
    === Quote ===

I'm confused. First you say to swap links with similar sites for PR, then you say don't bother with link exchanges...

Which is it?

Swapping reciprocal links has nothing to do with --Link Exchanges--. A Link Exchange is a whole entity unto itself. You apply and when accepted, you will place code on your pages to display other sites ads on your pages. After you have displayed so many banners, you will get one display on someone else's page. Usually not a very good ratio either. These link exchange displays do nothing for your PR unless a good link just happens to be displayed on your site when the SE spiders your site. Then if it is an image only the spider can not read it anyway.

Zeus generated reciprocal link sites are considered just link farms by most SE's and should also be avoided.

However, I must admit that I have received some traffic from Zeus built reciprocal links of which I have not reciprocated. The value of that traffic is questionable. The traffic could just be someone looking for a reciprocal link exchange and not a shopper.

Gene
    TCS

Here's what puzzles me about <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You have nothing for google to get a grip on <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> if reciprocal links aren't everything...how do you guys explain this page's PR?? http://etrata.home.attbi.com/flash/banana.swf

www.dinohost.com

I think you missed the point. Reciprocal links are important. Link Exchanges are not. Keep in mind that reciprocal links and link exchanges are two different things. True, when you are exchanging reciprocal links, you are exchanging links, but this is not the same as joining a Link Exhange like Banner-Swap, Free-banners, etc..

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    Reciprocal links are the same as exchanging links. I always get email with "Link Exchange" in the subject line. I would set up a link partners page or whatever you want to call it to exchange links with other sites. Do what MarkyMark said above and try to get the keyword or phrase you're trying to optimize for in the anchor text to your site. Try to have other sites link to you like this:

&lt;a href="http://www.dinohost.com"&gt;web hosting services or whatever keyword or phrase your tying to rank high with&lt;/a&gt;

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

OK, I got rid of some images that displayed text on my site and replaced them with "real" text (i.e. my plan descriptions). I also setup a link exchange page with this great script called WSN Links from WebmasterSite.net. Have a looksie My Links Page, I joined linkpartners.com to get some links traded. I added my site map to the bottom of all my pages (before it was just on my home page). Hopefully once google indexes the links back to me my PR will improve

www.dinohost.com

Yikes! Doc, maybe it's just me, but in my browser, Netscape 7.0 the text is bleeding all over your pictures at the bottom! Looks great in Explorer though! Just thought you'd like a heads up.

Regards,

Sorry Doc, should have specified, on your Dinohost homepage pics at the bottom.

It looks fine on my Netscape 7.0 ...do you have an older video card? sometimes shading effects look terrible on older cards.

www.dinohost.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It looks fine on my Netscape 7.0 ...do you have an older video card? sometimes shading effects look terrible on older cards.

www.dinohost.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Doc,

The shading looks fine. It's probably just my somewhat dated system setup: Netscape 7.0, W98, 1024x768 that gives the appearance of the plan description text being too big to fit within the colored bars. Regardless, it still looks great in IE. Sorry for the alarm.

Regards.

I'm not sure if it's ok to re-visit this post from a month ago, but I thought it would be important to update my site's PR. I am happy to report that my PR went from zero to 4 after this latest update I attribute the change almost solely to the addition of a links page which in turn helped me attain reciprocal links back to my site. I joined linkpartners.com to achieve this in a short period of time. I only accept links from sites relevant for my customer's use (I didn't become a links whore ). From MY personal experience... links back to your site represent the MOST value when calculating PR for Google.

Just my 2 cents

www.dinohost.com

Not being able to pass up the opportunity to make an ass out of myself. I was reading the posts in this thread and it looks to me like someone was severely mistaken by saying "link exchange" instead of what they seem to have meant "banner exchange". Anyways I couldn't pass that up.

BTW congrats on moving from a PR0 to a PR4 that takes a lot of work to do but you'll reap the rewards for a long time. Keep at it and tell us next month you've got a 5 or 6 even and you'll be writting your own paychecks.

Goal: to earn one dollar without working for it.

Yeay Now you know Google doesn't hate you after all, you can keep working on those backlinks!

I love your logo

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast