I understand that a workable plan to acquire inbound links is very important.

I recently had a request from a webmaster to link our sites. When I checked the links in to his site, I found a bunch of guestbook entries.

Do these guestbook links help or hurt?

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Retired Member
    I believe that

Google's philosphy is that a webmaster has very little control over who links to them so they generally will not punish you over any inbound links.

They will punish you if you link to a punished site because you do have control over who you link to. For example if you link to a linkstoyou site you could be punished. So be careful who you link to.

To get rewarded for a link back to your site Google looks at several things. The quality of the site linking to you and the relevance of the site linking to you. For example: a car site linking to another car site is more valuable then a car site linking to a cancer site.

A high rank on Yahoo is a good link back to your site because of Yahoo's tremendous rank.

Although Google denies it; I have noticed that sites using Google's adsense technology get a boost in rank. They definitely get crawled regularly.

Of course

All this could change tomorrow.

Retired Member

ABW Ambassador
    Nunya, Business
    What Steve said plus it helps getting the word or phrase you're optimizing for in the link text. Right now i don't think Google uses relevancy of what site links to you as long as you get links in. I think only Teoma/AskJeeves has this in the algo.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread