I just received this message from a company I will leave un-named, but I'm not enough of a techie to make any real sense of what they are proposing other than search term = direct path to my site -- but I'm not even clear where: from their tool bar? From MSN search? From....?. Before I decide to let their rep corner me on the phone, or throw it in the trash bin, I could use a little advice.

Can someone explain exactly what they are proposing, if it is a worthwhile tactic to sink money into, and if it's an ethical way of going about doing business?

//Hi, I would like to talk to you about a potential strategic partnership. More
    specifically, concerning the complete redirect rights on the keywords highly related to
    your website on the MSN 8 Butterfly platform. We would completely bypass search
    results and bring them to your website.//

Thanks!

ABW Ambassador
    SCAM

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ElegantPlus,

Run Far away! It's a new parasite!

Hi and welcome to ABW!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Ugh. I thought it might be, but I wasn't sure. To the trash bin it will go.

Thanks a bunch! And, nice to be here. Learning lots.

I'm new to this parasite thing. But I do think it could be, possibly, something else.

You can type keywords into the Address bar in Internet Explorer. There has been a company selling the keywords that will take people to your site.

Sorry I don't know much about it but I believe it was a MSN company thingie. It has never taken off because not that many people know that searching from the address bar is possible. Unless they stumbled upon it accidently.

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

ABW Ambassador
    You can search in the IE address bar and get MSN results, but as far as buying keywords then going directly to a site, thats a scam. That would be bad for any SE simply because the user usually wants more than 1 result and forcing 1 result by taking the user to a site isn't something an SE would do. Plus i can't see 1 example of this anywhere, where you would type a keyword in an SE, then going directly to a site.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    I think SJohnson is remembering back to the RealNames days - who did have a deal with MSN to provide direct to site results via address bar searches. Unfortunately for RealNames, no one liked the idea much and as MSN was basically funding them, they went out of business when Microsoft pulled the plug.

The new companies that offer this service require users to install a toolbar or BHO before it will work. These applications are almost always parasitic.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread