I just had a content site accepted by DMOZ (it got into Zeal several weeks ago.)

I understand Zeal feeds MSN, which is a pretty good bonus. Anyone have any info as to what I can expect from DMOZ?

Thanks...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A higher PageRank typically accompanies a DMOZ listing.

Plus, a lot of little sites use DMOZ's search results, so you can get links from all kinds of sites you wouldn't have thought of bugging for a link exchange. I would expect that how many of these pick your link up would depend on the category, since some sites only show listings relevent to their own category instead of the entire DMOZ index.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Apart from the obvious downstream directories (AOL, Netscape etc), the ODP results are also used in clever ways by Google and Alltheweb to "theme" sites by relationship. Alexa is another growing downstream user too.

PR is the biggest thing though, and the anchor text from your title seems to give a huge boost if you have some keywords in it.

If you're starting out building a network of sites though, the ODP is hugely important as that will give you a big boost in terms of SERPs.. or in Google terms, from zero page rank to a contender. Of course, as you develop sites and networks it starts to become less important. None of my pure affiliate sites are listed in the ODP (they are not eligible) but then they don't need to be.
    ________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

Thanks 'Moo, Leader

'Moo, by 'the anchor text from your title' do you mean the description or the hyperlink title that appears in DMOZ?

Link exchanges is another of those things I have on my to do list...

I occasionally get requests from other webmasters to exchange links, but haven't done so yet. Another affilate jewelry site wanted to link to my Mondera site - wouldn't make any sense at all to link to a rival jewelry affiliate, would it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> anchor text from your title seems to give a huge boost if you have some keywords in it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would this apply to the existing title on the actual page, or the title as listed in DMOZ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> wouldn't make any sense at all to link to a rival jewelry affiliate, would it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a DMOZ-benefit issue, but it can only help to trade links with very similar sites.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> wouldn't make any sense at all to link to a rival jewelry affiliate, would it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe if you like sending your traffic to competitors~!

IMO, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole--what good is a higher SERP rank if the extra traffic's just going to leak over to the competition?

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:

IMO, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole--what good is a higher SERP rank if the extra traffic's just going to leak over to the competition?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Leader, it's what I thought (but thought I'd check here in case there's something that didn't occur to me... still new to this business)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Maybe if you like sending your traffic to competitors~!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a two-way street

Thought I'd jump in here. The PR boost from a dmoz listing is no more than from any other link. Most of the downstream dmoz data users have very low or non-existent PR.

If in a high up the chain cat with few other sites listed then you'll get some decent PR. There are precious few of them though.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Davros:
    Thought I'd jump in here. The PR boost from a dmoz listing is no more than from any other link. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The difference is the links going into the DMOZ page. dmoz.org has a high PR because of all the many thousands (millions?) of inbound links. That PR can and does filter down to the other pages in the directory, and ultimately to any site listed in the directory.

Not to mention the sheer number of DMOZ clones (and even Google's own directory) based off of DMOZ data. Every one of those links is factored into your PR.

My first site got a boost from PR2 to PR4 when Google saw the DMOZ listing. The next month, when the DMOZ datafeed propagated, the PR went up to 5. It was as high as 6, but I lost a few incoming links.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

I did a look on where a listing pops up that I've had for several years, and got on link on a PR5 page, one PR4, four PR2s and four PR1s. That link has been around since 1999.

A brand new site I did has a PR4 on the basis of just the Google Directory and dmoz.org link at PR5 and PR4. Not too shabby.

________

I know others have said it before, but, in the end, I have serious doubts about just how valuable PR is, really. I mean, our homepage has the same PR as MSNBC & ESPN, and I'm guessing they do just a bit more traffic than we do. I admit to not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, so maybe I just don't get it.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Well, if you rely on Google for your traffic, rather than having the advantage of your own TV station then it's fairly important.

Basically..

Google results position = keyword relevance * PageRank (where * is an undetermined function)

You can do a lot with good SEO, but the bottom line is that you can do more with decent PageRank. Both together is better

________

PR alone isn't much.

It's when you combine it with an *optimized page* aiming for a specific keyword, that it comes in handy.

For instance, if you could optimize your front page to come up under Purple Widgets--and leave it that way long enough to get indexed, say a month or two--that high PR combined with the keyword-op would probably blast 99% of the competition right out of the water!

You're probably not seeing the full benefit because the news is always changing (plus you have more than one subject mentioned on the PB front page)--presenting a murky and moving target for Google when it comes to nailing down any particular keyphrase.

Leader & Moo:

Thanks for the clarification. Now it makes more sense.

Moo - unfortunately, phillyBurbs isn't associated with our TV station (which is in Florida).

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

Another bonus might be, thousands odp-index sites, if they do well with SEO you will have a lot of extra backlinks.
    (not 100% sure if they all count, but I dont think it hurts)

I'm doing it

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread