Boy, I am just full of questions today...

I'd like to start checking SE rankings with my new site, and am thinking about going with Search Engine Commando.

I know that SE's can penalize you for constantly checking your rankings, and I guess my question is two-fold :

(1) How do the SE's know that YOU are checking your SE rankings with something like SE Commando (or some other tool)? Does it have to do with how these tools work that tips the SE's off? How?

(2) What is a safe time to wait between SE ranking checkings to ensure that no penalties of any sort will apply?

Thanks a bunch...

Danski

Hey Danski,

As far as I know, they mostly depend on the IP address of the searcher. If a thousand searches per day come from one single IP address, that's bound to signal red flags.

The software for the most part looks like any other user to the SE, but doing so many searches so quickly is what gets it.

If I were you, I'd set it to do one search every 15-20 seconds. 15 seconds between "clicks" is basically the standard for bots.

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/3%/avg.sale=$80

Bryan -

Thanks a lot...great advice!

Danski

There are a couple of other little clues, like a request for an HTML file with no accompanying request for the inline image files which marks a query as being from an automated tool.

Using anon proxies, or at least variable IP dialup services, and wide separation of requests should shield you from the worst of it

There is no evidence to date that using Rank Reporters will cause you a penalty in Google. There are a couple reasons for this: 1) Google can not tell which site you are doing the rank report for 2) If they did penalize for it then we'd all be running Rank Reports on all our competitors day after day.

That said, Google has been known to block your IP for accessing their search. This is quite easily fixed - you can send them an email of apology or as your ISP to assign you a new IP (if you are static).

I also feel that it's very important to point out that SEC has not one single reported case of any banning or ranking penalty that I know of.

Todd Friesen
    Search Engine Commando Affiliate Director

Todd -

Thanks - I am interested in SE Commando, and was wondering if there is an option to wait between searches to check rankings. I really don't care how fast I get the report, as long as I get it within say, a 3 day period (i.e. leave SE commando running all the time, checking a ranking every 60 seconds or something).

There an option for that?

Danski

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread