Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I have just had pages go from creation to No 1 through 5 in the SERPS in highly competitive arenas in under 48hrs!!!!! God bless you google!

HINT: Linking structure, Linking structure, Linking structure.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Jeeeze, I been waiting 6-7 weeks for pr on my most recent site.

A page a day keeps the creditors away.....

ABW Ambassador
    Google everflux really make me wacky sometime got #1 then next day drop to nowhere ... so be carefully with titanic syndrome

Hard Work and ... Sell Sell Sell

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> titanic syndrome <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you Zervo for that wonderful addition to my vocabulary

Hi,

DPG, or anyone, do you know any good sites that deal with site structure, and give tips?

Thanks,

Cody

Agree with you, had 3 brand new sites added within 2-3 days!

I this continous update!

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

I love this continues update too!. 50+ visit by the google bot today!

Affiliate Manager
    I had a listing and sale on a new page within 12 hours of listing this weekend- Google is definately getting quicker and quicker. I'll take everflux, even if it's not always permanant

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

One morning last week I had sales from 2 new sites, rushed to check the SE's - they're not listed anywhere.. must have been google listing them for a few hours then gone again, is that good news or bad?

Humm, I just checked one of my sites, and I’m showing more pages in Google than I thought I had on that site. The really weird thing is, it’s showing about 900 more pages than Google has crawled. Odd.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by midnightcoder:
    One morning last week I had sales from 2 new sites, rushed to check the SE's - they're not listed anywhere.. must have been google listing them for a few hours then gone again?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reading the above, I'll take the old way where if pages get in, it's a month-long run!

And as for pages getting in sooner, HA HA, with "eversux" I usually have to wait *twice as long* as before, before I start seeing Google traffic to a brand-new site. I'm a lot quicker to put new sites in Inktomi nowadays so I don't have to wait an eternity before starting to see sales.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(From a previous post) The SERPS bounce back and forth between results from anywhere from yesterday to a week ago as they serve old results while updating consecutive databases. It is my uneducated guess that each google server runs at least 3 databases and reverts to an older one while consecutive ones are updated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Google has been sucking up anywhere from 10 to 400 pages a day. They bounce in and out for a week or so even a few days or so and then they stick. It has turned the SERPS into a dog eat dog world though as results of SEO can be seen overnight.

They are killing my server with multiple thousands of crawls in a single day. My resources were 47% used up this morning and I was forced to do a reboot and change some scripting to make things easier on my server. Google won't like it but what else can I do besides invest in a 10k dollar server?

Google continues to visit frequently on a daily basis. The more the merrier!!

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I think they have seen they were going to lose the long term battle with other search engines such as Yahoo, whose listings were more up to date. Being the largest,most known search engine wouldn't mean squat down the road if search results were dated 2 to 3 months prior. I have now seen a few pages updated from only a week ago. These more relevant and timely updates were much needed to keep their place on the WWW long term.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    What is odd is that I see the numbers of backlinks recognised as fluctuating a ton. Are they not going to update page rank with the continuous update? I mean, I have had one site at 0 page rank for 7 weeks now, even though I an showing numerous links to it from ranked sites.

A page a day keeps the creditors away.....

WW,

Yahoos web results are Google's, and their directory will never containg everything as most have to ante up $299 to be listed.

Other than us webmasters the typical user has no idea how new the results they are seeing are, as long as they provide more relevant results than others they will maintain their market position.

I can't think of a better free ride for webmasters.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Yahoo may not have been the greatest example, however they have been showing some of my site pages that are more current than what google would show. These results I am referring to are non paid listings. More to the point, Google needed to bring results more up to date, which it appears they are doing, rather then have to see new pages take 2 months or more to show. Otherwise they leave themselves open to the mercy of search engines that provide more relevant results. No one is going to knock them out of top spot short term, and if the results stay up to date it helps keep the competitors away long term.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> however they have been showing some of my site pages that are more current than what google would show. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> What LanceR said.

AFAIK All yahoos search results are Googles at the moment but they apply a completely different rule set onto how sites are ranked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What is odd is that I see the numbers of backlinks recognised as fluctuating a ton.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I believe that PR is controlled by a completely different algorithm than the SERPS and that this Algorithm has only been run once in the last 3 months. The bouncing you are seeing is the older PR bouncing in and out of the newer PR in synchonisation with whether a particular Google server is displaying an older database while it updates the newer one. I think that is the the key to continous update. A SERPS database is taken offline and is updated directly by Freshbot/GoogleBot while the older database is displayed. Then the databases are switched over and the newer set is displayed with newer PR Algo... thus the bouncing of results and PR.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Humm, I just checked one of my sites, and I’m showing more pages in Google than I thought I had on that site. The really weird thing is, it’s showing about 900 more pages than Google has crawled. Odd.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This can happen for a number of reasons:
    [LIST]<LI>You are running a database and use dynamic navigation. IF google breaks out of your navigation by following a faulty link it uncovers a beehive of new pages. i.e. page one includes items 1 through 10 and you have dynamic &lt;prev next&gt; based navigation it will build a new page from item 2 - item 3 etc.
    <LI>There are links referencing a page in different ways. i.e. <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">www.here.com www.here.com/ here.com www.here.com/page.htm?product=0 etc.</pre>

DPG,
    I hadn’t thought about that. They are dynamic pages with next and previous, but all links have a predetermined increment. So unless Google replaced the start=??? on it’s own it shouldn’t be the cause. And it’s weird that it’s showing more pages than Google has crawled. Of course my stats could always be messed up. My total number of pages indexed has been jumping between three figures all day. The two larger figures only show titles for two pages, but no link for “more results from …”. And no noticeable boost in traffic when it says I have more pages indexed. Guess I’ll just wait it out and see what it looks like in a couple days.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NewcastleB:
    DPG,
    I hadn’t thought about that. They are dynamic pages with next and previous, but all links have a predetermined increment. So unless Google replaced the start=??? on it’s own it shouldn’t be the cause. And it’s weird that it’s showing more pages than Google has crawled. Of course my stats could always be messed up. My total number of pages indexed has been jumping between three figures all day. The two larger figures only show titles for two pages, but no link for “more results from …”. And no noticeable boost in traffic when it says I have more pages indexed. Guess I’ll just wait it out and see what it looks like in a couple days.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi, I typed a reply yesterday but it was eaten by a 404 and I didn't have time to retype it.

Let's say Google received an abbreviated url instead of the full URL due to latency, timeout, partial content etc.

You have pagination set at 10 items and Google gets start=2 instead of start=20 the next prev buttons on the start=2 page now point at start=-8 and start=12 etc etc= loads of new pages.

Don't worry about title only listings in google. This is a sign of what it has queued up for near future cacheing and will be included shortly unless google is waiting upon more incoming links or has flagged that particular listing as a duplicate.

All the best, DPG

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    They are killing my server with multiple thousands of crawls in a single day. My resources were 47% used up this morning and I was forced to do a reboot and change some scripting to make things easier on my server. Google won't like it but what else can I do besides invest in a 10k dollar server?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a thought Heyder but if your are using PHP and MySQL have you tried changing your "mysql_connect"s over to "mysql_pconnect"s?

What this does is it tells MySQL that if a request is made to the database it should look for an existing connection and use that one rather than open a new connection. Using connect requires that a new connection is made for each page refresh or page load. This little change can result in a 95% reduction in server load. Pconnect does result in some overhead as connections are not closed by default when a page is loaded but are kept open for possible future use. If your server is busy the Pros far out weigh the Cons

Thanks for the advice DPG. I was told about the pconnect by a friend but I didn't understand what he meant. Makes sense now.

Thanks, DPG. Yet another thing I hadn’t thought of.

Jason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast