I run a very small but effective affiliate program and all of my affiliates currently use dynamic affiliate links i.e. of the form...

mydomain.com/?ID (where ID = the affiliate number).

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to have my affiliates use static affiliate links instead (which my affiliate management software enables me to do) i.e. of the form...

mydomain.com/a/ID (no "?" in the URL).

The rationale for the switch would be that the static links would count toward my link popularity in the search engines and hopefully improve my rankings in Google and other SE's for some keywords.

Here's a rough profile of my affiliate program:

- # of affiliates = 12
    - the top 3 affiliates have Alexa traffic rankings and Google PR as follows:
    2,400 ; 7
    12,400 ; 8
    110,000 : 7

The other 9 or so affiliates have Alexa rankings of 500,000-3,000,000 and PR's of 3-5.

My own site has an Alexa of 300,000 and a PR of 6. A few of my important keywords rank in the major SE's in the 1-40 range; some in the 80-100 range.

Switching to static links will require various edits to html pages, scripts, etc. (a significant amount of time and effort), some additional disk space (a minor factor), and a little more maintenance (a minor factor). BUT, I'll certainly do it if it's likely to pay off.

Is it reasonable to expect some increase in ranking in the SE's for some of my keywords based on the above info?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

ABW Ambassador
    Affiliates won't appreciate you using them to inflate your own search engine rankings.

I can't see it making any difference to rankings one way or the other, to be honest. Search engines can spider mydomain.com/?id=001 just as easily as mydomain.com/a/id . In fact, the second one is an extra level down from the homepage so it looks to me like it would be of less benefit than what you are already doing.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Retired Member
    The way you have it now is better than what you are planning. All the links are going to your home page.

The ? shouldn't have any detrimental effect on link popularity.

Retired Member

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I assume the SE robots will follow links after the first "?" mark only. Multiple ?'s might upset them as I see some with Miva.com shopping carts do not get indexed if their e-catalog pages have more then one "?".

My small affiliate program uses a 100% parasite hijacking proof method to set the affiliate cookie from within the secure shopping cart server....

<a href="http://www.cartserver.com/afl.cgi?c=p-1591&u=www.suspenders.com/ANYPAGE.htm&a=AFFILIATEID^EMAIL">
    Click here for great deals on patented Holdup Suspenders!</a>

The above is a sample text link. Notice the URL reference to ANYPAGE.htm ...you can change this to any "landing page" on our site like..www.suspenders.com/ formal.htm.. directing your targeted shopper to the specific product page for details and immediate purchase. The AFILIATEID is your affiliate ID# you were assigned. The next seperated field is your EMAIL address which your responsible to make sure it is active to get e-mail notices of all sales from your links. These images can be referenced directly from our server ..ie ..http://www.suspenders.com/NAMEOFIMAGE.gif or jpg with the linking code shown below: http://www.cartserver.com/afl.cgi?c=...ILIATEID^EMAIL as the hyperlink or copied to your server and then added to your pages.

KEY CODES: c=merchant cartID u=destination landing page a=affiliateID & e-mail sales notification address

Obviously this works as even the server logs report visits by affiliate directed links.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Thanks everyone - pleasantly surprising advice

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In fact, the second one is an extra level down from the homepage so it looks to me like it would be of less benefit than what you are already doing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Markymark, I have a quick question regarding this.

Suppose I have 2 pages on and linked to from mysite.com, one at mysite.com/page1.html and the other at mysite.com/pages/page2.html. Would page1.html experience higher pagerank than page2.html even though they both have the same amount of links from the same pages?

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread