Anyone know how important it is (for SE rankings) to use a dedicated IP address on a shared hosting account? Are there still risks involved in getting blocked from SE's while sharing IPs? I need to renew an account soon, and I'm trying to decide if I should keep the dedicated IP.

Thanks,
    Joey

I was wondering this myself. My registrar offers a web host account for USD$15 / year. very basic but will do the job. If anyone knows about the dedicated IP / shared IP for SEO, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

[This message was edited by Ian @ EYI on August 25, 2003 at 11:27 PM.]

I wouldn't think this is that important to the SEs. I mean, a website can change hosts an unlimited number of times. Desides, a dedicated ip would/should be expensive. Normally, this is only on dedicated servers.

Chris

----------------------------
    <FONT SIZE=1>ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cditty:
    I wouldn't think this is that important to the SEs. I mean, a website can change hosts an unlimited number of times. Desides, a dedicated ip would/should be expensive. Normally, this is only on dedicated servers.

Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    From my understanding, some search engines and mail servers (such as AOL or hotmail) will block IP addresses in order to weed out spammers. If you're on a shared IP address along with a spammer or two, a company may block the IP address, therefore blocking the spammer along with you.

I've heard that having a dedicated IP can help prevent you from getting blocked from the SE's. But I've also heard that some search engines such as Google are getting better at removing spammers without blocking the entire IP.

Any SEO experts have any info?

Yeah, IPs are a potential email issue, but not so much an SEO issue. Search engines are smart enough to know that virtual hosting is an inevitable result of having too few IPs in the world, so any blocking should occur by domain, not by IP.

ABW Ambassador
    I for one feel that Google places less weight in incoming links originating from the same IP. Maybe this is changing now but I moved a couple of sub-domains from Unique IPS 6 months ago and took a big hit in PR resulting from these pages.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread