Basic question, I know, but I've never been sure on this one...

Should there be a space as well as a comma between keywords?

ie 'keyword1,keyword2,keyword3'

or 'keyword1, keyword2, keyword3'

Does it make a difference?
    Do different spiders handle this differently?

Thanks...

"A fool doth think himself wise,
    But a wise man knows himself a fool"

William Shakespeare

ABW Ambassador
    I am sure there will be differing opinions on this, but here is mine:

I don't fool with keywords, or desctiption, on the majority of the pages at my site. I originally made some of my index pages with meta tags for keywords, but have stopped for now. Most of the major search engines have stated in the past that they look mostly for content (text, and links) on a page. I have good results on pages that I have text strategically placed on the pages, and the right wording in the title tag, with no meta tags for keywords, or description. I wouldn't waste time with meta tags for keywords, but this is my opinion on the subject.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    www.webproconnect.com

ABW Ambassador
    Like Big Chuck, I also don't mess around much with meta tags. That doesn't mean I shouldn't--it just means that I don't.

I'm kinda looking forward to an answer on this subject, too.

Michael

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am sure there will be differing opinions on this, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep!

Inktomi pays attention to the tags, and sometimes includes pages for free.

I figure that's too much possible exposure to ignore so I have metas on every page unless I forget.

I put (comma space) between each one, because I read somewhere along the way that a space is good, but I haven't tried it the other way so I don't know if it'd rank better without the spaces or not.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

I use META descriptions and keywords too. Not just because of Inktomi, but nobody knows what’s going to happen tomorrow. I don’t spend a lot of time on them though. The way I look at it is that it only takes a second to put it in , so why not? I use the comma no space method. I read somewhere that’s the best way, but now that this thread had popped up, I’m not sure.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I use meta tags, filling out keywords and descriptions for each page. Do it right the first time, you don't have to go back when some se decides to use that data. It makes a difference for me with inktomi, I would never submit a site there without including meta tags, it would be a waste of money for me.

A page a day keeps the creditors away.....

Either way is fine

Retired Member
    It doesn't make any difference to the search engines whether or not you put spaces after the commas.

About keywords. Some engines still use them so I personally recommend that you continue to use them for the time being.

Some tips:

Don't exceed 300-500 characters in your keyword string.

If you have a lot of keywords and are having trouble jamming them into the 500 character limit, then remove the spaces around the commas. It will get you some additional words in.

Make sure the keyword is in both the keyword list AND in your text. This gets the most attention.

Ideally the keyword should be repeated at least 5 times and not more than 9 times in the text of your site. Again this is a guide, not an absolute.

Make sure the text is visible to the user. For example if the background is white and your text is white, Search engines will penalize you.

You can use the alt keyword on images since this is technically visible to the user, but the best places for keywords is within text links and text descriptions.

Once your page is indexed by the search engines. GO LOOK AT the listing. See how it reads. Would you click on it? The search engines sometimes grab text for the listing that you weren't expecting, so always check and then adjust your page so that your listing is effective.

I personally put spaces after my comma simply because my html editor works better with the spaces.

Retired Member

Yep, it really shouldn't matter. Spiders have to handle the full range of HTML & coding styles even better than browsers, so this sort of detail isn't too important.

Thanks everyone

ABW Ambassador
    What Heyder said. Either way is fine programatically speaking but there is an infinitesimal reduction in page size with no spaces. Anything that speeds up your page is good. Many engines have keyword character limits and a space counts as one character.

[This message was edited by DPG on August 26, 2003 at 02:16 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    On some websites I use keywords, on others I don't. The difference? Nothing. It seems that search engines ignore them nowadays because of too much abuse in the past.

I know those search engines that still use the keywords sometimes limit it to so many characters, so not having the comma in would make room for more keywords.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

In the keyword meta tag the comma is the same as a space to the search engines. So, by using a comma and a space you are essentially placing two spaces between words. Each character counts in determining how many the search engine will view. Most search engines that use the metas will not look at any words beyond its set character limit. Use of alt tags help with keyword density as well as 'title attribute' tags.

Gene
    TCS

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread