ABW Ambassador
    I was just checking my backlinks after the PRs changed(all stayed the same, 1 site moved up) and noticed all the sites i did reciprocal links with are gone from my backlinks? I still have backlinks from sites that linked to me on their own. Anybody noticing any of this?

Now that you mention it. Maybe this has been going on for the last few months.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Jeeeze, they aren't going to make us work for it now, are they? I mean, jeeze, you link to my site A, I'll link to your site B.

Or maybe they are basing it off of pages named links, I dunno

A page a day keeps the creditors away.....

ABW Ambassador
    I just noticed this today after the PRs were updated, backlinks were down and all my reciprocal link partners are not showing up. Was just curious if others are seeing the same thing.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    My backlinks dropped from over 50 to under 10 - it in turn dropped my site from PR 4 (where it's been for years) down to 3

I have no idea how this happened.

Funny, I see an increment of backlinks to almost all of my sites.

Probably just my hard work

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

Don't worry about PR and backlinks, worry about your placement in the search results.

I really think people spend too much time worrying about PR, back links, etc., in Google. What's important is where you are listed when someone types in a key word or phrase. Is your site listed on the first page or two of the results? If so, quit worrying about the changes and move on to more important things (like improving current pages or building new ones).

Build good pages that are helpful to others, and you will have good SE listings.

Andy

Reciprocal links should be gone. People exchanging links only to increase page rank is not a indication of page quality. Bout time they stopped counting this.

I think the PR must fluctuate for a while after a major update. I was showing 129 backlinks last month and only 89 today. I've added quite a few this month to the hundreds I already have.
    PR went from 5 to a greybar today, but I checked my #1 keywords and they all remain at #1. Last month the same thing happened and in a couple days the PR5 was back. I'm not going to sweat over it at all.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ABW Ambassador
    Links into your site will always be important for all seach engines major part of algo in all of them. Your keyword or phrase your're targetting in the link to your site, good to have. I've always thought reciprocal links should be less important than links from sites where there is no reciprocation. It also depends what type of site you have. Content sites not as important for links in, as most of the traffic comes from word combinations on your site. Sites where there is a lot of competition for a certain keyword or phrase, some links in can make a major difference. I haven't exchanged any links in over half a year and like to concentrate on making a good site that people will link to on their own, much less work that trying to get recip links

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

My links have been decreasing for over a year, I still have recip links showing, but not as many, but's it's hard to nail down since the order always seems to change, etc.
    Google shows a little over 500 for my content site, they used to show almost 3000, alltheweb shows over 12,000 external links.

ABW Ambassador
    I guess this is all true..... just feels like a slap in the face.

When I search for a quite good targetted keyword for my product, I personally make up 6/10 sites in the first ten listings - this is repeated (usually 5 out of the 10 first) with many other important search terms.... I should just shut up and forget about the PR eh?!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread