Spam Pages? (2003)
    I recently read an article on making your pages search engine friendly. One piece of advice was to not create spam pages. Any thoughts on how many repeats of a key phrase or keyword is too many?

Also - what exactly is a FFA?
    Thanks - this place rocks!!
    Candace

An ffa is a (free for all) links page. It means anyone can come along and add a link. Some search engines not including google will penalize you for using ffa pages. It was said a long time ago that google penalizes for this but that was a lie for the most part. If someone reports you to google and they are friends with google then you will be removed for using ffa. If you are a friend of google then it will be wink wink nod nod.

Sorry about the double post but I forgot to try an answer the first question due to ranting.

You don't want to optimize multiple pages for the same keywords because it will give less value to each page. Instead optimize one page and link from all of the other pages using your keyword phrase in your anchor text to that one optimized page. This will tell google your page is about (keyword phrase) and it must be fairly important since it has so many links pointing to it saying (keyword phrase)

Thanks Heyder - that makes sense about not optimizing too many pages with the same keywords/phrases. When you are optimizing your one page - is there a general rule as far as how much is too much or what is just right for repeating keyphrases?

About the FFA's - does that mean that people who have a links page that allows people to add their listings (like Link Partners) are considered ffa?
    Candace

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Candace,

Here is a guideline. With FFA pay close attention to Googles many comments about staying away from bad neighbourhoods. It is a guess but I would place FFA very highly in a rough neck of the woods and utilising them may come back to bite you in the 'OUCH' later.

TITLE
    Keyword 1 Time
    Variant 1 Time
    Keyword weight 17%
    Keyword prominence 32%

KEYWORDS
    Keyword 1-2 Times
    Variant 1 time
    Keyword weight 5%
    Keyword Repeats 1 Time

DESCRIPTION
    Keyword 1-2 Times
    Variant 1 Time
    Weight 1%
    Prominence 21%
    Repeat 1 Time

Page Heading (H1 Tags)
    Keyword 1-2 Times
    Variant 1 Time
    Heading length 1 Word or One Keyphrase
    Keyword weight 1% (GoodLuck!)
    Keyword prominence 1% (GoodLuck!)

LINKS
    31 Per Page
    5 Links with keyword
    Number of times to use keywords within hyperlinks 6

LINK TEXT
    Keyword 2
    Variant 2
    Total Number of words 65
    Keyword Weight 4%
    Prominence 19%
    Repeats 0

IMG ALT
    Keyword 1
    Variant 1
    Total Words 13
    Weight 3%
    Prominence 12%
    Repeats 1

Comments (MUCH CONJECTURE!) I try a few with them in. No penalty yet.
    Keyword 1
    Variant 1
    Wordcount 98
    Weight 1%
    Prominence 6%
    Repeats 1

BODY CONTENT
    Keyword 6
    Variant 5
    Total Wordcount 476
    Weight 4
    Prominence 28%
    Repaeats 1

This is a general guideline for all engines and is based on leading listings for a particular keyword. It will render good results for any keyword. I Disagree with Heyder and most people about not being able to Optimise for multiple keyword phrases on the same page. I have had great results with up to 8 targeted phrases on the same page. Based on the above information you can see that it is possible to follow all the rules successfully for many keywords on one page as long as the words dont overlap and screw up your balances. THE ENGINES ARE NOT CLEVER ENOUGH TO TELL HOW MANY KEYWORDS YOUR PAGE IS OPTIMISED FOR. They just apply the same rules over and over again for each search.

All the best DPG

[This message was edited by DPG on August 26, 2003 at 02:48 PM.]

DPG,
    Thanks for the info! Now this is the time to put your patience hat on as I try to understand this.

Just using the DESCRIPTION part as an example: You would use your keyword 1-2 times. What is a variant? Is this any variation of the keyword such as a misspelling or is it a different keyword?

I am ducking as I type this next question because I KNOW it is a really stupid question but I'm just not seeing it. Then repeat 1 Time - repeat what? AHHHH....

Okay - I probably should save face and send a pm at this point!!
    Candace

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Candace:
    DPG,
    Thanks for the info! Now this is the time to put your patience hat on as I try to understand this.

Just using the DESCRIPTION part as an example: You would use your keyword 1-2 times. What is a variant? Is this any variation of the keyword such as a misspelling or is it a different keyword? A VARIANT IS AS YOU RIGHTLY SURMISED A VARIATION ON THE WORD, BE IT THAT WORD IN A DIFFERENT TENSE OR ANOTHER WORD THAT INCORPORATES THAT WORD OR EVEN A SITE TITLE THAT INCORPORATES THAT WORD

I am ducking as I type this next question because I KNOW it is a really stupid question but I'm just not seeing it. Then repeat 1 Time - repeat what? AHHHH.... LOL!!! REPEAT REFERS TO AN IMMEDIATE REPEAT OF THE KEYWORD. DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE SAMPLE OF SERPS THE FIGURES ARE CALCULATED FROM YOU CAN GET RESULTS THAT CONTRADICT EACH OTHER.

Okay - I probably should save face and send a pm at this point!!
    Candace<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about the caps. I wasn't shouting. Just too lazy to separate the quotes and needed to differentiate your text and mine.

On rethinking Heyders explanation of FFA I have to agree with him. As Google states it is more interested in Macro solutions rather than micro ones. (An algorithm change rather than affecting a sites stats directly) The value of FFA links are more than adequately penalised by the links having to share the PR on that page and ending up with .000001% of Fraggin Frag All as there are so many links on each page.

(will probably get shot down for this one) Also if the FFA page is dynamic it will not pass through its PR anyway.

FFA pages are very easy to spot automatically via spidering. The current treatment (I believe), is thus

1) An ID'd FFA page passes no PR whatsoever. The links are useless. Used to be hand-tweak, mostly automated now
    2) If you link BACK to an FFA site (and many of them require you do so), you are tagged as associating with a "bad neighbourhood", and are penalised yourself

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    OK so the world wakes up to the fact FFA pages and their operators migrated from a easy sell script to being front ends for e-mail list scrapers and the spammers pushing traffic scams. Purchasing a good sounding traffic SEO service requires wading through the internet sewer with a crap net looking for a editable morsel.

One of my satisfied web clients actually gifted me with one of those 49.95 guaranteed services and submitted my URL along with his own when he paid for the service. Took me 2 months to build backup our traffic to normal levels when these SEO wanks got finished bombing the SE's and FFA sites with some auditron submittal program.

I still uncover some shady holes my domain name fell into months later. ABW knows now about the Sh0ps.com scam harvesting viable domains from FAA submittals and now I see my Altavista links have disappeared with some strange entries like http://ecomcity.subportal.com/ plopped into AV by iBoost as if I ever signed up for their lame service.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    FFAs could send some traffic in 1998 when I opened my first website, but now they do a lot more harm than good, so stay away!

Thanks for the keyword info. I never knew the formula. I've just been told to use the keyword 3-4 times per page. Obviously I've been misinformed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sixplus View Post
    Thanks for the keyword info. I never knew the formula. I've just been told to use the keyword 3-4 times per page. Obviously I've been misinformed.

Thanks
    You may not have been misinformed. Things change over time - and this thread (and the advice herein) is just over seven years old.

Closing thread...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

13. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread