ABW Ambassador
    I am creating a new site and I would like to incorporate 5 pages from another site I have into the new site. Can I do this without setting off mirror site issues?

The new site is going to start out at about 30 pages but will probably grow. I would just like to basically copy and paste the contents from site A into the new site and maybe change the main keyword throughout the page. Can I do this or do I need to change more? If so, how much more changing do I need to do?

Thanks,
    Kip

ABW Ambassador
    Kip,

You can do that, but change a few words in the content area that you are copying.
    Do NOT overdo it, though.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Irma. What do you mean by don't overdo it? Do you mean don't overdo the changes or do you mean don't overdo and add a bunch of duplicate pages?

Thanks,
    Kip

ABW Ambassador
    I'm sorry if it wasn't clear. I meant don't overdo the duplicate pages. If most of the new site is a duplicate of your old site, you will get penalized.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, I see. At most it will be 1/4 of the new site and probably not even that much when I get done with it.

Thanks again,
    Kip

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...maybe change the main keyword throughout the page. Can I do this or do I need to change more? If so, how much more changing do I need to do? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of the tech papers written by Googlers get very pointed about duplicate content. If you cut, paste & just change keywords, expect to not get long term benefit from those pages. The other pages that are "unique content" shouldn't be "penalized," you just won't get any SE benefit from those dupe pages.

If you want to be safe, have different code (nav structure, tags...) than the original page & change the content 30-40%.

Good luck,
    rmjvol

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread