Hello Everyone,
    I have a website that has changed their name and url.
    We are going to take this time to freshen up titles, and the keywords, and meta descriptions while we are making this move.

We have inserted the new Name change and some minor content editing but the website is basically the same.
    We have very good SE saturation within the industry related keywords.

My questions:
    What should we do with the old url and site?
    How long should we leave the old site up if at all?
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Scott

Hi Scott

If you change the url you will in effect be starting out with a new site so all your present search engine listings will be lost.

If I were you I would try to keep as much as possible to the old site if it gave you good SE listings.

why would you have to alter the URL? there is no need to do this all you would need to do is change your DNS records

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

Hello Gordon,
    Thanks for the fast reply.

I just read my post and I need to present the situation better.
    The Company has changed their business name and they want a new domain name to reflect the new business name.

Does that make better sense, as far as explaining the task at hand?

Scott Yant
    Mall Director
    Boise Online Mall.com

Hi Scott

In that case then I feel you will lose all your existing search engine placings, unless,

if the company is only changing its name and the type of business remains the same then you could either leave the old site up (place some links to your new site on it, or just keep the old url (that is in the SE's) and just redirect it to your new url. This way you will still, for a while at least, get some visitors from your good SE listings.

hope that helps and it makes sense to you

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

ABW Ambassador
    You can do a 301 Permanent Redirect of your old domain that will move your traffic to the new domain as well as letting the search engines know that you have moved. Some of them will follow and replace the old domain with the new in their search results.

So it would be smart to keep the old domain and site intact and change the title to reflect both names of the company?
    Put the links from the old site on the new site at the site map?

New Title Example:
    “product keyword @ xyz company formerly abc company”
    Do this on every page of the old site?
    Then maintain the old website with all the navigation links directing to the new site?

The old business name has rich keywords and the new business name is the debut of a brand name without keyword relevance.

Maintaining hosting should not be an economic concern, but logically is this a sound plan that will not be viewed as a spam attempt?

Will it help POP links if I place them on different VPS’s?

Thanks you guys for the fast turnaround.

Scott Yant
    Mall Director
    Boise Online Mall.com

ABW Ambassador
    No, you don't want to keep both sites intact and the same...the SE's will liken this to spam.

Although I haven't used one myself, I believe the 301 redirect is done through your .htaccess file....your old site does not remain up (so no duplicate sites for the SE's to see), it just gets redirected to the new site, although you still may need to pay for hosting while the redirection is still going on.

That will give you time to try and change any incoming links to the old site.

Some registrars will actually let you just forward the old site to the new site for free....the SE's won't like that method as well as the 301 Permanent Redirect, but it is also a possibility.

I think a 301 is the way to go but..

..although it's common practice for a business to name their site after the company, it's not always the case. And if you have really good keywords for the sales site, ten maybe stick with it if it doesn't cause brand confusion. You could split the "corporate" site from the "sales site".

So, if you were selling blue widgets on bluewidget.com but renamed the company SwirlyLogoCorp, you could rebrand the sales site as "Bluewidget.com by SwirlyLogoCorp".

However, since we don't have access to your traffic logs (or know the domain in question), I'd suggest treading carefully.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

The advice is very much appreciated.
    wyvern and Dynamoo I'm know your right about the redirects but if it is possible, I'll be open to utilizing both sites.

I will do the right thing, but for one last trip to the well, I'll post the urls.
    We have things to do still, such as a site map, editing of titles and whatever else you guys advise me of.

OLD url: http://www.perfectskinlaser.com
    NEW url: http://www.skinovativelaser.com

Usually the biggest issue, related to SE rankings, with moving to a new url is the external links from other pages pointing to your site. If you have many, it's often quite difficult to contact the other website owners & get them to update those links.

I don't see many links to you old site so that's not as big a deal as if you had hundreds of links.

I don't know your industry's keywords but I'd guess the name change isn't going to hurt your rankings/visibility/traffic significantly if you can get all those links pointed at the old site updated to point to the new site.

Without *significant* changes, I would NOT keep both sites.

Good luck,
    rmjvol

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread