As newbie I would like to have some feedback regarding ppc advertising and cj.

Currently I promote Zappos via Google adwords.

In my ads I put my affiliate link (qkserv.net) and the masking url is zappos.com

I have contacted Zappos and they have no objections for this.

Could there be problems with cj because I have no landing page but direct affiliate link from adwords to zappos?

I hope not, all my earnings are from PPC so far :P

I started this whole affiliate thing last month and used PPC's with CJ links to get in on the halloween buying season.

CJ account settings have a checkbox for "search engine marketing" which I assume includes PPC.

Canadian eh -
    How's the CPC been working out ?

Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

quote:
    Originally posted by MrSpeed:
    Canadian eh -
    How's the CPC been working out ?

Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

So far it has been a learning experience I've had ads that bombed totally, 10's of thousands of impressions with lots of clicks and no sales(at this point google slows down your ad serving, 3 strikes and you pay $5 restart fee).

I did manage to actually make a little more money than I spent on ads for the halloween buying season but other ads not so great. I've decided to curb my PPC for now and work on websites for a less risky method of earning affiliate income.

Overall PPC is risky and tricky most of the time, those little ads have to be crafted just right(within guidelines even!) or you get a bunch(I mean a bunch) of tirekickers that you pay for.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Some of my CJ affiliates do really well with PPC. Top affiliate for one of my programs has already made over 11K this month. Don't have any idea how much he spent though.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    Amazing Socks::ABCLeads::4LowRates::ChatDollars::ConsciousOne::EveryTicket::Organize-Everything
    DentalPlans::Irv's Luggage::Executive Essentials::IntelliContactPro::zZounds::RoadLoans

ABW Ambassador
    To success in PPC Aff Mkt, you need to be very careful, an artisan, an artist, conversion rate is a critical issue, but when you hit a winning thread... Booooomm.. Jackpot!

Fer

Definitely need to be careful, PPC's can be fun if you have a cushy budget to experiment with

But a URL and hosting for a year is easier for the wallet to swallow than forgetting to check your adwords for a day and seeing your click throughs have ballooned in the last 24 hours. Really surprising when your ad manages to weasel its way into the content partners because all of a sudden you got 50k impressions instead of 2k, and a small percentage of 50k is a lot more clicks than a higher percentage of 2k :P

I've heard of peoples ads going WAY over daily budget but technically google calculates it on a monthly basis divided by day.. not sure how exactly they handle this. I had one day where it went over my daily budget but they credited me for it.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    For some, who are too ethical to have their own BHO (BHO's never pay to play the PPCSE game) there are short cuts. You don't need a domain web site just any old free hosting site will do. Buy keywords at Overture and Adswords at Google where the shopper starts and do blind redirects to set your cookie. Like the BHO's you don't ever have to do any site pre-sell, show banners or even know what branding means.

Mix in a good e-mail spamming machine, expired traffic domains and typosquating and you only need to drop in on ABW to see who converts. Beautiful ebiz plan.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Ecomocity.com - Maybe foolish question but what is BHO?

A BHO ( Browser Helper Object) is a software plug-in designed to modify a endusers browser to turn their system into a hijacked advertising machine. It is designed to intercept shopper traffic and interlope by shoving coupons/rebates/points etc in the shoppers face while in the checkout lane at the point of sale.

Kinda like a naked broad popping up on you while purchasing something at BestBuys with a coupon discount for a similar item sold in the store next door. If you don't accept her offer she cuts your tires in the parking lot. In the Pc world that means the B-a-HO trashes your 'puter if it doesn't get its own way or detects other B-a-HO's on it's street corner. Feel free to quote me all you want!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

quote:
    Buy keywords at Overture and Adswords at Google where the shopper starts and do blind redirects to set your cookie. Like the BHO's you don't ever have to do any site pre-sell, show banners or even know what branding means.

Mike...it sounds as if you are patently against affiliates using PPC to drive traffic directly to a merchant. If that's the case, then (for the first time) I have to disagree.

If an affilaite has the knowledge necessary to capitalize on a ppc campaign in a particular niche, then why not?

As a merchant, I have no problem with an affilaite recognizing and exploiting holes in my overall marketing strategy, including the use of PPC's.

In fact, I often get a kick out of merchant's who post things like "We'll let you bid on these particluar keywords for now, but may change our stance, and /or limit how much affilaite's will be "allowed" to bid once we have more keyword research in-hand.

In other words..."We'll let our affilaites take all the risk testing keywords on the ppc's, then (once we know which one's are the real goldmines) we'll go ahead and cut off our affilaites at the knees and effectively "steal" the marketing channel out from under them."

As an affiliate myself, I long ago grew weary of merchants who looked upon their affiliate prgram as almost an after thought (as many still do). Or worse, simply a way to gain some free market research.

Should affiliate's utilize PPC campaigns to dirve traffic directly to the merchant? Sure...why not? However, it might be in that affiliates best interest to utilize their own domain, so as not to mistakenly "give away" their ppc "goldmines".

Erik

==============================
    The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

ABW Ambassador
    LOL ...I hear the naked broad stays down at the Registry Inn.

The following page has directions to her crib, and methods of eliminating her and her pimps:

http://www.pcflank.com/art36.htm

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Allpiercings wrote:

If an affilaite has the knowledge necessary to capitalize on a ppc campaign in a particular niche, then why not?

What might that "knowledge" consist of? Merely knowing the merchant's name?

PPC affiliates need a return for their investment, and capitilizing on the merchant's name gives the best form of insurance that that will occur. It will also insure that more and more merchants will limit what you can bid on their name, or possibly restrict bidding on their name altogether.

In affiliate marketing, it is not near as profitable for merchants to acquire an already acquired customer, than it is to acquire new ones. The bulk of PPC affiliate strategy out there focuses on acquiring already acquired customers.

As a PPC affiliate, it is likely you won't bid on the keyword luggage and route the visitor to Irv's Luggage Warehouse. You'll bid on Irv's Luggage for a much better return. There's just too many outfits that sell luggage for you to end the visitor's search enough times for a decent return.

The majority of affiliates that have ample knowledge to capitilize on PPC for product keywords already get that traffic for free. They are the ones that run actual websites, get to know surfer habits, and very importantly those niche combinations of keywords that acquire new customers for merchants.

PPC affiliate stategy will continue to get tougher the more affiliates that choose that easy route, along with merchants becoming more and more restrictive to protect their names and level of profit. Is that the direction you want to be going?

Why should a customer click on ppc ad if he/she knows the destination already?

Why should I click on abestweb.com paid listing if I can directly put that name in address bar in my browser?

If I search for "luggage" and see ad 'irv's luggage' I can recall: "yes that's the place I bought my suitcase".

Without that ad Ivr's probably loses that repeat customer.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:

The majority of affiliates that have ample knowledge to capitilize on PPC for product keywords already get that traffic for free. They are the ones that run actual websites, get to know surfer habits, and very importantly those niche combinations of keywords that acquire new customers for merchants.

I do both things, I do not agree, In PPC for new customers (I never bid on store names)I have a lot of affiliate competitors.

Fer

Allpiercing I'm not against PPCSE keyword bidding practices that are meant to capture traffic at it's SE source. As both an affiliate , merchant and AM, I'm totally against building a hollow affiliate program based upon rewarding any "tricks for clicks" cookie setters. That includes investing commissions into a group of sleezebag affiliates who jump from one scheme to another as unethical loophole artists.

No PPCSE blind redirect artist keyword squatter is interested in adding value to the customer experience, gives a crap about a landing page, the PPCSE's TOS or the merchant's long term survival. I've been duped into clicking on some of those blind redirects only to find myself in a popup/under cookie setting hell hole, or at a merchants site that didn't even sell that type product. When these affiliates get their just deserts and whacked from the listings they seek more tricks for clicks to hijack cookie setting traffic at it's source. Never do they bother to build out a lasting site as they personally consider shoppers and merchants as victims.

Build your program around these types and your left with an empty shell with no sustainable growth when they get banned or outed. I have some showcase merchants, on various sites, who can expect 10-20K every month in sales from my traffic that only is effected by the BHO's and tricks for clicks affiliates. I can righteously blast those same merchants if I see the same or growing traffic tumble on conversions.

It amazes me that many ABWers can't equate their own traffic hijacking efforts with those of the BHO's we all love to hate. I'm all for the networks clamping down on both groups as they do treat merchants and shoppers as victims adding rage to the consumer backlash bringing us all the pain of "trash everything" Ad Blockers.

Mike & Charlie ...

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I don't really understand some of the comments here, but I will just say that PPC is an art form, much like SEO IMHO. And just like SEO there are ethical and not so ethical ways to do things. I don't support doing anything unethical.

If you want top rankings and clicks you can either be really good at SEO, work hard and hope and wait and take your chances that you will make it to the 1st page. Or you can buy your way to the top in 5 minutes flat with adwords or Overture.

Some of the PPC affiliates I know are not even bidding on the merchant's name. They are bidding on smart, lower cost KW combos. Brand/product combos like Samsonite Luggage or discount/sale/product combos, like discount luggage or backpack sale. Many are bidding on words that are related but not the actual product KW. For instance, if I were doing PPC for Dentalplans, I might bid on California Dentist - and write the ad around the fact that you can save on dental costs with 160,000 Dentists nationwide. Assuming that people who are looking for a dentist, may very well want to save money on dental care - who doesn't?

I see nothing wrong with affiliates doing honest PPC advertising and sending clicks directly to the merchant unless the merchant prohibits it.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    Amazing Socks::ABCLeads::4LowRates::ChatDollars::ConsciousOne::EveryTicket::Organize-Everything
    DentalPlans::Irv's Luggage::Executive Essentials::IntelliContactPro::zZounds::RoadLoans

quote:
    What might that "knowledge" consist of? Merely knowing the merchant's name?

NO...but how about knowing how to research lesser known/used keyword phrases and doing the necessary research to determine a strong ppc campaign based on ROI.

let's face it, there are a hell of alot more ppc novices flushing their money down the toilet than there are those that are knowledgable enough to PROPERLY develop a ppc campaign.

While I agree that affiliates that abuse the system via redirect/cookie overwrites/BHO's or any other unethical marketing behavior are bad for business, I don;t think it should eliminate or make illegitimate the efforts of an ethical affilaite seeking out underutilized ppc avenues to dirve traffic to their chosen merchants.

Erik

==============================
    The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

ABW Ambassador
    I agree Allpiercings ...most Adwordtizers are flushing their money down the john.

When I place first page for particular keywords, I gain a direct insight into how valuable those placements are. If someone pays for those same first page placements via PPC, and is promoting the same merchant(s) as I am, I can pretty much tell you if they are pissing their money away or not. In many cases I know they are.

quote:
    olvio wrote:

Why should a customer click on ppc ad if he/she knows the destination already?

Why should I click on abestweb.com paid listing if I can directly put that name in address bar in my browser?

If I search for "luggage" and see ad 'irv's luggage' I can recall: "yes that's the place I bought my suitcase".

Without that ad Ivr's probably loses that repeat customer.

We all initially come to the internet surmising the habits of surfers/shoppers, and if we are fortunate to gain actual insight, we find many things that greatly contradict our surmisings.

Surfers putting domain names directly into browser address bars? Actually, they are substantially more avid in using search engines as their portal to the net, even for sites they frequent quite often.

The real question concerning people searching for a product like luggage, and then being reminded "hey Irv's" by a paid placement (people who actually go on to buy), is how often will that happen? Will it happen enough to justify the cost of the advertisement?

Personally, I'm not going to pay $.10 a click for visitors casually browsing products and hope for $.12 a click in return ...well, not for most CJ merchants for sure.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread