http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._advertising_1

Comments...

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=500><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

ABW Ambassador
    Sign of desperation - Dot Bomb - just another Froogle wannabee - downward spiral - biting off more than they can chew - they sure promote a lot of other merchants stuff - Are they still profitable?

Artistic poem by Trust.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on September 25, 2003 at 11:38 PM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Bezos is such a Johnny come lately and certainly incapable of doing anything inventive within the ecommerce industry. He's copied anything that smells of money and flung partnerships into the shredder when his greed exceeds his Judgement.

Your Correct Trustno1. Just another copy of Froogle, Yahoo and the soon to be launched MSN's copycat service. Look for Amazon to change directions again and partner up with some BHO clugged shopping bar or popup link offerings like Gators or Looksmarts.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I think the title is wrong. It should read "Amazon plans to further invade the affiliate turf".

Amazon already has affiliate relationships with lots of companies and while they do a good job of attracting visitors "much of it from affiliates", and display their products pretty nicely, I've haven't seen anything that indicates how successful their site / affiliate reltionships are. IE: Nordstrom, Target, Drugstore.com, etc.

My impression is that many affiliates opted out of promoting them when they started entering their own affiliate relationships and stopped sending visitors. I've never promoted amazon on anything but books and have pulled that!

If they also make their own e-commerce like search engine / price compare product, they will likely lose many more traditional affiliate relationships.

Their commisions are on the low side, they basically have a session cookie and they have a relatively high treshhold before an affiliate will ever get paid. They are out to dominate and cut other affiliates out of business.

I got tickled a while back when I saw one of their banners that said something like "Amazon and you're done" and wondered to myself what kind of idiot affiliate would put that on their site and promote amazon. Wanna bet a bunch Beats the heck out me why affiliates promote this kind of company in the first place.

A price comparison search engine along with their affiliate relationships may offer them some unique opportunities but it will also casue some challenges - "if affiliates can see through the hype" and do what is smart for the "overall affiliate industry".

My advice to affiliates is to stop promoting them NOW!

Amazon was smart and put in a high payment threshold from the get go so that affiliates would not quickly pull the plug on promoting them. How many affiliates will have a $10 - $20 balance after promoting them for a year or more and wouldn't dare think to pull them because they don't want to lose that $10. To me it's obserd thinking but my opinion makes me think it's a factor with many.

A good card player knows when to holdum and when to foldum and my impression is that many affiliates would make terrible card players.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Look for Amazon to change directions again and partner up with some BHO clugged shopping bar or popup link offerings like Gators or Looksmarts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This is a logical extension of their own spyware, the Alexa toolbar. From their current toolbar TOS:
    IN ADDITION, WHEN YOU PERFORM SEARCHES USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION AVAILABLE ON ALEXA'S TOOLBAR SERVICE SOFTWARE VERSION 6.5 AND HIGHER OR ON THE ALEXA WEBSITE, YOU OFTEN WILL BE TAKEN TO A WEBSITE DETAIL PAGE AT AMAZON.COM. IF YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT ON AMAZON.COM AND AN AMAZON.COM COOKIE ENABLED, YOUR SEARCH RESULTS WILL BE TRANSMITTED TO AND LOGGED BY AMAZON.COM AND MAY BE CORRELATED BY AMAZON.COM WITH ANY PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION YOU MAY HAVE PREVIOUSLY PROVIDED TO AMAZON.COM.

Who needs more of this crap?

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Look for Amazon to change directions again and partner up with some BHO clugged shopping bar or popup link offerings like Gators or Looksmarts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amazon is back with WhenU. Whenu mentions them a few times on their site; demo, tour, faq.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread