Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    One of my sites traffic greatly decreased in the last day. I am not getting traffic to that site from MSN. I checked my site in MSN search results, and it appears to be coming up in one of the search terms, but it is associated with another sites link (gray text), and is using an old title, and description that I no longer use for my site. There also appears to be a redirect. It is like the site that my listing is associated with is the site that is linking to mine. I dunno. But there seems to be something screwy.

I wonder if MSN has penalized my site, or is anyone else experiencing problems? I am not effected in Yahoo, or any of the other search engines.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

Chuck

As of the first of Oct I noticed a change in traffic from MSN also. I believe something is up with MSN. Some of my pages that were listed are nowhere to be found.

Bob

I've also experienced a substantial loss in MSN traffic since the first of the month.

ABW Ambassador
    I typed in one of my domain names, and it is nowhere to be found in MSN! Great timing, right before Christmas.

Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

jup, same here.
    One site of mine got over 1000 uniques a day from MSN.
    Now its out of there, 0 hits from MSN.

Guess they want the pay for inclusion, and, as a experiment, I paid them for two sites.
    They are not included yet so I don't know the results of that action.
    If I get back the traffic I had before I'm willing to pay for all my sites.

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

ABW Ambassador
    Chuck, unfortunately...
    I think that means your site has "fallen out" of the Inktomi database. That does suck, and happened to me about a month ago .You lose a lot more than just MSN traffic too. I was reading somewhere that sometimes, the sites come back in after a few days , but it didn't happen in my case .

After a few weeks of procrastinating, I gave Ink some $$$ and paid for inclusion .At least the pages I put back in are back in business, but that darn Inktomi crawler is not crawling any other pages . I think I'm going to have to pay for each and every page. ...Sucks .

I had a whole bunch of sites disappear a couple of months ago. There was a thread on another forum where others were experiencing the same.

It's impossible to get a definative answer, but the conclusion was that it is likely Inktomi (which feeds MSN) was dropping affiliate sites. No one with a non affiliate site seemed to complain of being dropped, but I hope someone can prove me wrong. There have been comments that many affiliate sites are no more than a replication of the merchants site, and therefore do not add any value to the search engine listings for the search engine visitor, and this is the justification for clearing out affiliate sites.

Yahoo, who bought Inktomi, are likely to switch over to Inktomi sometime. There was speculation that what we are seeing is Yahoo cleaning up the Inktomi results before using them instead of google. Bad news if true.

Some of these sites of mine I had paid for fast include where they get spidered every 48 hours. Under the agreement Inktomi has to spider and index the results, so dropping those pages would be a breach of the agreement. Guess what, pages that were in the top 3 are now in the bottom 10. Nothing in the agreement about penalizing sites. Of course, all the other pages on each site just disappeared. This is blatant take the money knowing your pages would not be found, the right thing to do would be to decline the order, but then they would have to give a reason, which maybe they would rather not do, but that's another story.

MSN uses the Inktomi results, but not always all the pages held on Inktomi are listed on MSN.

To check which pages of your sites are listed on Inktomi (without the looksmart and directory pages) and could therefore be what Yahoo is likely to index if/when it uses Inktomi instead of google, then do a search on pure inktomi

http://search.positiontech.com/Inkto...TechSearch.jsp

To see how many pages are listed for a site search on

domain:www.yoursite.com

I did query the dropped sites with Inktomi via Webwurld, they could/would not say why the sites were dropped, but did say Inktomi had a policy of dropping sites on a 6 month cycle. So I'm hoping those sites appear again 6 months after disappearing.

Lisa, are your sites getting their old position back when you pay to have them included. Mine went from top positions to bottom positions. Inktomi must have taken a real dislike to me.

New sites I've put up recently are being indexed on Inktomi, be interesting to see if they last.

ABW Ambassador
    Good info SM, and I will follow the link to check things out. I have never submitted this site to LookSmart, or any other directory, including Yahoo. So, there should be no termination of contract or anything. My site that appears to have been dropped was getting right at 50% of it's traffic from MSN. It is my gift site, and Xmas shopping has already begun. I guess I will not have a lucrative holiday season afterall.

I think side deals are made to knock off affiliate sites during the holiday season. Google, imo, has done this. I am expecting Google to screw with their index any day now that will have a good number of us *****ing. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Big Chuck

The worry is that if this is a permanent state of affairs, and Yahoo switches over to Inktomi now they own it, that will be another big chunk of visitors to disappear.

ABW Ambassador
    SeventiesMartin ,

The pages that I paid to get back in are ranking just as they did before , in fact, a few Christmas pages that I just added over the weekend blew my mind when I realized this morning that I had aquired some #1 spots for some fairly competitive holiday terms .

I guess it is just a matter of how well you optimize, IF you can get/keep your pages in of course !

ABW Ambassador
    For 1 site i had about 100 pages in free, then went down to about 40. What i noticed about those 40 pages is each page had at least 2 links from various places on my site. The ones that disappeared i only had linked to from my site map. Just my experience.

Now i pay for my better producing pages and have no problems getting ranked high and i like the 48 hr. refresh.

"There was speculation that what we are seeing is Yahoo cleaning up the Inktomi results before using them instead of google."

I don't know about that. I mean Yahoo has been using Google for awhile now and Google has all kinds of results with affiliate sites and they seemed to be happy with those results. I think who will get hit when they do make the switch to Ink are all those datafeed sites which Google loves. I don't see those in INK which means i won't be seeing them in Yahoo. Something for the feed affiliates to be thinking about.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 12, 2003 at 09:07 PM.]

I lost a site in MSN last spring, never came back. That was $ 250./month in commission down the toilet.

And people think Google is bad.

Fred

You might just be a Spammer if - Your welcome mat says, "You'd better have a search warrant."

Lisa, the pages are well optomized. Top 10 in google including top 3 and number ones. They did have the same sort of positions in MSN. Then when the sites disappeared the paid ones dropped at the same time. I wonder if it's because they were already being paid for when they the sites were dropped. All these sites were on the same dedicated server, all sites on that server were dropped including some very new ones, none of my other sites have been effected. I've always played it very carefully with no spamming etc. If only it was possible to get a clear picture, but there are so many contradictions it's hard to know what to do.

TrustNo1, I have several datafeed sites, all written in asp, that are crawled virtually daily by Inktomi with hundreds of pages indexed. Thankfully these are on a different server to the one Inktomi picked on.

The fact that all the sites on one server were dropped, but all other sites are Ok has made me start to spread sites around on different server IP addresses. All the sites on that one server were affiliate sites, so maybe Inktomi decided it was an affiliates server and banned the server IP address.

I forget when Yahoo's agreement with Inktomi runs out, I have it in my head it is very early next year but can't remember, does anyone else know.

ABW Ambassador
    Yahoo owns INK. Probably will make switch early next year.

I forget when Yahoo's agreement with Inktomi runs out, I have it in my head it is very early next year but can't remember, does anyone else know.

Sorry, I meant I forget when Yahoo's agreement with Google runs out.

3 am in the UK, brains starting to shut down.

ABW Ambassador
    Late 2004 but they can break the contract whenever they want.

Thanks for that search tool, didn't know that one.

I just searched, the site that was dropped is back in, but just one page. It used to have thousands in there, bummer...
    I also noticed a other site of mine is dropped (recently), more bummers...

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

ABW Ambassador
    well... my site that would have made me big bucks this Christmas is out, completely. **** msn. They took a side deal from big merchants to knock us out. I bet every affiliate site pushing gift items gets whacked.

Big Chuck

I only have 4, of the few hundred pages that were listed, still on msn.

This includes searches on hotbot, about.com, overture, etc.

I'm ticked, considering that stupid bot of theres, "Slurp", seems to live on my site, day in and day out, sucking up bandwidth.

The PITA with Ink is that the service I get from Ineedhits.com is pisspoor so I don't know if I'm getting hits on my pages or not.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Same problem with me -- lots of pages dropped, even though I was paying for them to be listed in Inktomi. (As an aside, if Inktomi determines your pages violate their terms of service, they don't have to include them even if you've paid.)

So, let's turn this around and look at it from another perspective. Abestweb.com has been a great source of information and help for quite a few affiliates (including me). How can we help each other overcome this problem?

To start with, has anyone beat this issue? Did you do something that got your pages relisted after they were either dropped or severely penalized? If Inktomi is banning or penalizing affiliate sites, has anyone developed a strategy to quietly slide by the filters and get their site listed?

Let's hear from our successful forum members on what's working.

I have a pure content site. The problem I am seeing is that all my pages were listed in both Inktomi and MSN. Now as of the first of the month the only page listed in MSN is my home page, all the other pages were dropped from MSN. However all my pages are still listed in Inktomi. I am wondering if this has something to do with MSN working on the own search engine because I believe the deal with Inktomi is almost over. Only my 2 cents.

Bob

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've had hit-and-miss results with Inktomi no matter what kind of site is in question.

A while back I noticed that 2 of the pages I had paid for inclusion on, were getting vastly different results. Both were made with the same "formula" and template (although the product lines are different). One ranked quite well--but the other one ended up below #100.

When pages so similar, SEO-wise, end up with such different results I have to really wonder!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    As far as Ineedhits.com, i used them before and didn't like them had some problems. I highly recommend marketleap.com for any future submissions.

Leader, with the page you're having trouble with have you tried changing it? Thats the great thing about paid inclusion, if you don't like where you're at, you can make changes and 48 hrs later see if it worked or not. I have submitted about 15 pages that i paid for and 1 i was having a problem with until i made a few changes, then it was ok.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast