I'm looking for feedback from people who have installed a search engine on their site like this one.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if it really helps your site visitors to find whatever it is they are looking for faster or whether it get used much by surfers at all.

I'm assuming that it is unneeded on smaller sites, but once you have several hundred pages or more it becomes more useful.

I just don't want to waste my time with something like this if it is something that is rarely used by the average surfer.

Greg

I used the xav search engine about two years ago. Back then I thought it was pretty nice. It doesn't take too many resources once it does all the spidering. The only problems with it are the size limitations from using a flat file system unless they've upgraded it by now.

Make your time

Thanks Heyder. I think I'm going to go for it, since I can incorporate the search box into my web site on the menu side via SSI. That way it'll be on every page of my site, and if it doesn't work out, it can be removed easily.

Greg

This is another good one. I've been using it for the past year, I think it runs a bit faster then xav, though I haven't tried theirs in a while.

Update:

I installed both search engines for testing. Here is what I found out, for anybody thinking about trying one of these site search engines:

The XAV search engine has a lot of bells and whistles, and a web interface for setting it up. It really does work well and it is fairly easy to customize it to look like the rest of your site. It does have a small price tag, but probably well worth it for what you get.

The Perlfect search engine works as well as the XAV search engine as far as I can tell, however it has no web interface and it takes more work to customize. On the plus side, it is free software. If you've had experience with setting up perl scripts, you should be able to set it up fairly quickly.

My Pick: The Perlfect search engine. I tend to like the challenge of installing & running perl scripts. Hopefully no one else will tell me about any more search engine scripts, thus making this my final choice

Greg

Greg, be sure to check out FreeFind.com -- it runs differently from the two solutions mentioned above.

freefind.com is limited in the number of pages--- a few hundred to 5000.
    perlfect has a max of 65000 pages, but looks like it is really only designed to handle a few thousand.

the other one can only handle a couple thousand too.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread