http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2003,+09:01+AM

Erik

==============================
    The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

ABW Ambassador
    A good find, Erik.
    Thanks for sharing.

So, when does all this equal a monopoly? (in the legal, needs-to-be-regulated sense)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Not yet, they can still point to Inktomi/Yahoo/Over as a fairly big competitor. And with MSN's bot going around, it looks like another competitor's on the horizon. There's also quite a few little SEs around, although the regulators may not consider many of them to be "serious competition."

Close, though...much more consolidation in the industry and the FTC may start having a higher interest.

That's my 2c--but the feds may surprise me by scrutinizing the SE business sooner than I expect!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Let's not confuse dominating a market due to good design/function/marketing with being a monoploy.

A monopoly comes about due to there being a preventive force from others entering a marketplace (i.e. Microsoft).

There is nothing stopping anyone from trying to build an engine to take some of google's market share. The fact that they've come to dominate the search market has nothing to do with monopolistic tactics, but has to do with the fact that they simply "built a better mousetrap".

Frankly, I would prefer the "feds" stay out of the internet all together, and let it develop on it's own.

As Ben Franklin said:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Erik

==============================
    The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, Erik, the feds should stay out unless there is a real monopoly by a US search engine company.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread