Animal Lover
    Hi all,

I've got a question about link exchanges. I've been asked by some people to do a link exchange with my sites. Their home page is 5/10 google ranked but their resources or links page where I'm going to be listed is only 1/10...

my question : will google credit my site with the 5/10 link or the 1/10?

Oscar

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Enjoy your 1/10 in-link!

It's still a link in, but it won't give much of a boost compared to the 5.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Animal Lover
    Thanks for the insight Leader - I was a bit suspicious when the email declared - our site has a 5/10 google rank and are looking to exchange links with quality sites...and then their links page had only a 1/10 rank...so I guess I will give it a skip...my home page has a lower rank than them but my links page has a 3/10 rank...so they gain...I lose...

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    How exactly do you lose by this, Oscar ? You get another link in, increasing link popularity and anchor text weight. You're not losing any PageRank - after all that's what your links page is there for - to link to other sites.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Plus, their link page is currently 1, but in the future it may be ...

The main reason for getting links is traffic. PR boost is a by-product, albeit a useful one.

Woz

dWoz - serious webmaster resources.

Animal Lover
    Marky,

I always thought that the higher the page rank, the better the link back? Or am I mistaken...so it's better to get lots of little links in with low ranks than only 1 or 2 with high ranks?

Woz,

I guess you're right - but how is it they've got such a disparity in the links page rank and the home page - it's not like it's very deep - just one click away from the home page...is there something I'm missing?

So I should go ahead and link away?

Oscar

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Think of it this way. Had Google not released the PR Indicator on the Tooglebar, then this conversation would not be happening. Rather, you would be thinking about other reasons to link such as Theming, Traffic, and so on. So forget about PR and evaluate the link exchange on other criteria. Chances are the pros will outweigh the possible cons.

PR is necessary but often over-valued. It has many uses including one small part of the ranking algo and yet people still seem to focus on PR as the be-all and end-all of getting good positions in Google. Markymark posted a very good explanation here recently of the way PR is used in ranking, have a hunt around for it.

Woz

The only reason I wouldn't exchange links with them would be if the links page was on another domain or they were blocking the folder it was in with a robots.txt file.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    When I create a new site, I have a routine, which I rarely stray from:

1 upload the site.
    2 Add several pages to inktomi.
    3 Submit site to several search engines.
    4 Add a couple links from existing sites
    5 Contact 15-20 other webmasters to exchange links immediately.
    6 If I am wandering and see a related guestbook, I may even post to 1 or 2 guestbooks with related comments.
    7 I will include the new site in my sig line for a couple other entertaining forums I use.

All of this will occur within 0-2 days of loading the site up. So, exchanging links with me will, more often than not, appear to be a little one sided, when the truth is, the pages will be ranked shortly after a google visit.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

ABW Ambassador
    PR is just one of many things to consider. I consistently get high rankings with zero PR pages. There is so much more to all this than PR rank
    Spend your time building a site that people will like, and that will result in high conversions. The rest will follow

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Animal Lover
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep working at it...I guess the PR issue is a bit overblown but I like it when google gives me a pat on the back and says, 'yes I like your site'...back to building...

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I always thought that the higher the page rank, the better the link back? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well, this is kind of a misconception. A higher PageRank link passes more PageRank to your page, so obviously, it has more 'value' from that perspective. However, the ranking value attributed to the anchor text of for example, a PR6 link is no greater than the value attributed to the anchor text of a PR1 link.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Just Lurking
    Ok help this newb (that would be me) understand this. I thought the link back value was determined by the source pagerank divided by the number of links on the page? So a page with 6 links and pagerank of 6/10 was equal to a page with one link and pagerank 1/10?

------------------------------
    "Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." - Gertrude Stein, American author (1874-1946).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PR is necessary but often over-valued. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I exchanged links with a PR-0 site two years ago. The sell redwood furniture out of Crecent City, CA. This months stats reveal that they sent me more traffic than Exite or Lycos. My PR-5 site helped boost them to a PR-4. Sometimes it's amazing which links bring in good targeted traffic. If the other site sucks then their visitors will be looking for links to (your) alternative sites.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread