Does the Alexa rating of a site have any effect on any search engine placement? Or anything else important to an affiliate marketer?

I know that the Alexa/Amazon stats can be jiggered, and that the reverse links stats are frequently not accurate. But I just read one of the affiliate 'gurus' newsletters where he was touting the Alexa ratings.

What's up with this?

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

http://pages.alexa.com/prod_serv/tra...tNew_W_t_40_M1

Is a good read!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Does the Alexa rating of a site have any effect on any search engine placement?

NO

Or anything else important to an affiliate marketer?

No

Consider most of the people who have the alexa toolbar are webmasters or people in countries merchants don't even ship too. You can easily jump your site up in the ratings by downloading it yourself and visiting your site or getting your site visitors to download it.
    Plus in 2-3 years there will be no more tool bars so no more alexa.

It's quite useful for comparing your own site against your competitors, but it's not terribly accurate unless you're in the top few hundred I guess.

Also, it's not a bad way of finding link partners and judging how successful ads are going to be if you use Marketbanker.

It *is* a good place to leave feedback on crappy sites (or even good ones).

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Inaccurate tracking spyware. Read the terms of service about what they do with your info.

Just checked, they only overcounted my main site's traffic by 60%. Usually they're wrong by 100%

It's not spyware.. it's very clear about how it works when you download it. It *used* to be spyware, but now it's on roughly the same par as the Google toolbar.

You know, we've had long arguments about Alexa before, but the bottom line is I find it a useful tool if you know how to use it properly.

For example, you can get a good idea on the growth or decline of a web site. Look at the traffic graphs for AltaVista and it's slow decline, Gator and it's rise, compare CJ and Befree affiliate traffic, witness the death of Looksmart, the birth of Friendster.

It's especially useful when comparing like with like, for example GoCollect vs CollectiblesToday.. so you can use it to get a feeling for how succesful a merchant is.

And as I said, you can use it to find the bargains at MarketBanker.

I have to admit that for my sites it tends to be pretty inaccurate in many respects, because different visitor demographics tend to have a different proportion of Alexa users, but still it vaguely tracks the ups and downs of my sites over a long enough time frame.

And also, don't forget that this is traffic RANK not actual visitors. An Alexa rank of 85,000 does *not* mean 85,000 visitors a day!

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Dynamoo said pretty much what I wanted to comment on. We have fully tested the Alexa toolbar before promoting any Alexa services and found nothing "parasitic" about the toolbar.

Because our content partner (ExactSeek search engine) Jayde Online Inc. has established a partnership with Alexa and how they return their search results based on this partnership it was in our service interest to jump on the wagon for multiple reasons.

Unless anyone can disprove our own independent findings .. there is absolutely no parasite issue involved here.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

ABW Ambassador
    The Google toolbar is not spyware?

http://labs.google.com/glossary?q=spyware

Depends on your definition of it. They do make you aware of it, but some do consider it spyware, some don't. The toolbar does collect information about web pages that you are viewing when you have advanced features on, like the PageRank feature.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 28, 2003 at 02:25 PM.]

TrustNo1 .. although I agree in the sense that any program that monitors any information in any format can be called "spyware" to a degree .... it's the level & intent of the usage of this information that leads us to a conclusion of whether we want to label it as "spyware" or "parasite".

In our study of Alexa toolbar .. we found no parasite activity coming from Alexa. The only concern we do still have in our promoting the Alexa toolbar is the fact that all the viewers that do have parasiteware on their computers will indeed get the pops delivered when using the Amazon.com shortcut features built in the toolbar.

This in itself is sort of contradictive in our stance in helping/aiding any/all "parasites" in being able to pop any windows to our viewer audience.

Being that Amazon.com is one of the largest eTailors on the internet .. we cannot prevent the many parasitic companies that have targeted their programs within their applications to monitor viewer travels.

This in itself does not place blame on Alexa toolbar for these popups .. the blame falls directly to the users who download these free applications at a cost most times unknown to them.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO

I was directing my customers to the free download of alexa until I read this recently. It is from Alexa's privacy page. Somehow I missed this last time I read it.

"ALEXA'S TOOLBAR SERVICE COLLECTS AND STORES INFORMATION ABOUT THE WEB PAGES YOU VIEW, THE DATA YOU ENTER IN ONLINE FORMS AND SEARCH FIELDS, AND, WITH VERSIONS 5.0 AND HIGHER, THE PRODUCTS YOU PURCHASE ONLINE WHILE USING THE TOOLBAR SERVICE. ALTHOUGH ALEXA DOES NOT ATTEMPT TO ANALYZE WEB USAGE DATA TO DETERMINE THE IDENTITY OF ANY ALEXA USER, SOME INFORMATION COLLECTED BY THE TOOLBAR SERVICE IS PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE. ALEXA AGGREGATES AND ANALYZES THE INFORMATION IT COLLECTS TO IMPROVE ITS SERVICE AND TO PREPARE REPORTS ABOUT AGGREGATE WEB USAGE AND SHOPPING HABITS.

IN ADDITION, WHEN YOU PERFORM SEARCHES USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION AVAILABLE ON ALEXA'S TOOLBAR SERVICE SOFTWARE VERSION 6.5 AND HIGHER OR ON THE ALEXA WEBSITE, YOU OFTEN WILL BE TAKEN TO A WEBSITE DETAIL PAGE AT AMAZON.COM. IF YOU HAVE AN ACCOUNT ON AMAZON.COM AND AN AMAZON.COM COOKIE ENABLED, YOUR SEARCH RESULTS WILL BE TRANSMITTED TO AND LOGGED BY AMAZON.COM AND MAY BE CORRELATED BY AMAZON.COM WITH ANY PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION YOU MAY HAVE PREVIOUSLY PROVIDED TO AMAZON.COM."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I got my T-Shirt! Imagination that!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hello Anne,

I do agree that what Alexa says may be considered as "spyware" in sense .. but most search engines use the very same disclaimer language on how they monitor users search & actions. If that was the sole purpose to deny recommending Alexa, then you don't want to endorse most search engines & directories as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread