Well, it took almost a month from the initial googlebot contact until I got pr. Made a 3 on the main page and four others. One 2 and two more nothings.

A funny thing though. Only one link shown for the main page, and it's a recip. I know that there are 15 more that are inbound only. Wonder why they don't show up? Oh well.

I know that a pr3 isn't much to you pro's, but it is a pretty good feeling for my first try at this stuff.

More links, more SEO, and watch out! PR7 here I come.

Thanks to all who have contributed to my knowledge base.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Congrats on your pr 3... $ is going to start rolling in... Keep at it!

Jason

xtremeshopping.org

aim: ssn jason

"Some people stay away from the door for the chance of it opening up- Billy Joel, An Innocent Man

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I know that there are 15 more that are inbound only. Wonder why they don't show up? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They only show up if they have PR4 or over. But they still count!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Congrats on the PR3!

Andy

I honestly think PR is highly over-rated.

Case in point: I own several sites with PR5-6 that routinely outrank PR7-Pr8 sites in the SERPS. If you keep a good clean design, coupled with good on-page factors, it's relatively simple to outrank sites with higher PR.

Erik

The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

ABW Ambassador
    PR is overrated, for sure. I'll say it again, for hopefully the final time, PageRank is simply a sorting mechanism applied after the relevance of sites has already been determined.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> PageRank is simply a sorting mechanism <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand.

Relevance is determined by other factors but pr is then used to sort the listings. ((correct?))

So if the top ten sites compare in relevance the one with the highest pr is then "sorted" to the top, right?

Mike McNabb

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Relevance is determined by other factors but pr is then used to sort the listings. ((correct?))
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yeah, that's pretty much it.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So if the top ten sites compare in relevance the one with the highest pr is then "sorted" to the top, right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Depends what you mean. At this point in the process, there is no 'top ten' results, as the PageRank hasn't been factored in. The PageRank of a page is independent of any search term and is a weighting factor supposed to reflect the importance of a page in comparison to the rest of the web. There is only a 'top ten' for a particular query after the PR has been factored in to the algorithm, but - and this is the important part - PageRank does not give extra relevance to otherwise irrelevant pages. All it can do is 'boost' pages already relevant to the search term. The sorting mechanism is - obviously - not in exact PageRank order, because Google has already made a determination of the most relevant pages to any particular query. That's why PR is an overrated part of the algo.

Okay I sort of understand.

Thanks

Mike McNabb

ABW Ambassador
    Umm..good, I hope. I think if you accept the first bit - that PageRank is a sorting mechanism, then that's all you really need to get on with focusing your SEO efforts properly. But feel free to PM me, mate, if you are interested and I'll blind you with tedious SEO stuff that you don't really need to know. How's that for an offer you can't refuse

I just might, you shouldn't have offered.

Mike McNabb

ABW Ambassador
    Feel free.

totally agreed markymark!
    nice way to putting it too
    its always been the case, lets say i have a pagerank 8 site (wow) but it may not be ranking under search terms that the site would(should) be aiming for, yet i have a pagerank 3 site in the same field(lets say not really as a well known company as your pagerank 8 site) with good optimization techniques used, ranking all over the place for their targeted search terms? which one would i want? i know what one i would want!
    search engines such as Google always have and (hopefully) always will let the little guys compete against the bigger guys.

ABW Ambassador
    Or to put it another way: Its not how big it is, its how you use it that is important.

In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, PR is great. For those who don't its not.

Download Site Map Creator Today

Thanks markymark for the clarification.

I've always felt that Page Rank was focused on too much by webmasters. A high page rank alone won't put you at the top of the SERPs.

I've often found myself listed at the top with a much lower page rank than other sites. I figured there had to be a lot more consideration as to a sites' placement. I still believe if you forget about trying to please the SEs and build good, helpful pages, you will do OK with the SEs.

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They only show up if they have PR4 or over. But they still count! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Leader! That answers a question that has been driving me crazy. I have a couple thousand incoming links and only 187 show up. Good to know the others are contributing to my PR5. I was tempted to exchange links with only PR4's and up.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

One month later and I am up to PR 4.

At this rate it will be at 7 by Feb. 1st.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Yep...had one of my sites FINALLY hit PR7 a couple of days ago !!

Now we're rocking...

PR7.. that's *is* cool. My main content site has been stuck on PR6 for ages

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    I had a PR6 on one site for the longest time, then Google shuffled things around a bit in May. That site's been stuck at PR5 ever since.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

Just Lurking
    WTG Frank! Here's some dancing bannana's for ya --->

Now if Google could be as nice to me! I could get some sleep at night.

------------------------------
    "Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." - Gertrude Stein, American author (1874-1946).

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I got my site up to PR 4 and then the last two months it went back down to PR 3. I've had the site for over a year now. You'd think it would be friggin higher by now

Jack Mitchell
    http://jacksretail.com

I'd love to get a PR7 .. just to say I have one.

Do not underestimate the power of high PR. It is like GOLD if used correctly.

ABW Ambassador
    I have had a PR 7 site for awhile and in this last shuffle it has jumped to PR8.

I do believe there is something to do with the frequency in which google freshens on your sites based on PR. I have not tested it throughly but I do feel it is true.

Chet

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread