Hi all, I recently converted my site from HTML to PHP and saw my traffic plummet . My URLs used to look like this:
    site.com/store1.html
    now they look like this:
    site.com/store.php?id=store1

I can see googlebot visiting all my pages, yet every page with an id= doesn't make it into the index. This is about 95% of my pages so tahts not good.

There was a topic earlier that debated whether google simply eliminated all pages with id= and to change that to something like name=. I can't see that being the case since its a simple change and google is smarter than that.

My solution is to change all my URLs using mod rewrite in .htaccess to be more search engine friendly. So my real URLs would remain the same (site.com/store.php?id=store1) but the URL in the browser will be different (eg, site.com/store1.html).

If anybody has had experience with this I'd love to hear about it. Any resources or tips on doing the URL change would be great as well.

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

"I can't see that being the case since its a simple change and google is smarter than that."

Your reasoning is a bit faulty here. It's not about tricking Google. Google is trying to avoid session id's by eliminating the id= parameters. Maybe my memory is faulty here, but I think Google even states that in their documentation on dynamic url's???

Change the ID= and see if that changes. But you are definitely better off with the mod rewrite. I don't use unix hosting so I don't know how it's used. A Google search on htaccess and mod rewrite will give you plenty of information.

Windows hosting has a couple of alternate means, some include installing software on the server (purchased of course) Or you can use the 404 error to parse the url into paramters.

ah, didn't know about the session ids deal. Thanks for that info. I'll go ahead and change the id= to something else. But thats just an interim solution til I can get the mod rewrites functional.

I've already experimented with some mod rewrites, not quite working as I hoped , so I was hoping there may be an expert hanging around here

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread