Not sure if this is stamping on hallowed ground but I would certainly like to understand a bit more about whether a high search engine ranking is of any use. Statistics and research that i've read all suggest that hardly any web surfers go beyond the 3rd page of any websearch result.

Based on this premise, they would look at approx 30 different site addresses. This means that is my site is ranked 50th, 1000th, or 1,000,000th it would make little difference - the websurfer wouldn't see it anyway.

Realistically speaking, it would be more beneficial if I spent more time attracting traffic using other means such as links, networking, etc.

Have I totally lost the plot with this arguement and are search engine rankings important - would appreciate views and opinions.

Regards

Ron

Why not get your website to rank amongst the top 6% of popular sites as measured by Alexa.com - to find out more visit me at http://www.greater-health-n-wealth.com

[Moved To Search Engine Insight]

[This message was edited by DesignerWiz.com Team on November 10, 2003 at 11:22 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ronwedd:
    Why not get your website to rank amongst the top 6% of popular sites as measured by Alexa.com - to find out more visit me at http://www.greater-health-n-wealth.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why ask the question when your signature answers it for you?

Besides, if you attract more traffic by links. networking, etc, THAT can increase your ranking, but not as well as SEO.

BTW, I think this topic would be better suit in the Search Engine Insight forum. I believe you'll get better feedback there.

-----------------------------
    Scott
    Words to Live By:
    "No matter where you're at... there you are."
    "Can't we all just get along? Only when we've been drinking."

It all depends on the keyword you're trying to rank on.

Do you check your log files to see how people are reaching you? It's rarely by a one or two word search. I've seen entire sentences without quotes show up in my logs.

The Internet is a very random place, do a good job of SEO and write some unique content and you'll get visitors.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> are search engine rankings important <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get a #1 under any keyphrase that a lot of people are actually looking for and you'll never ask that again!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    If you ever get a number 1 for web hosting or something VERY popular, you will quickly come to realize that the number 1 position for a popular phrase can be so lucrative that you will make more money than everybody else in your home town.
    Chances of you or anyone on here getting a number 1 for the really really popular search terms are very slim though as these are almost impossible to get (unless you pay to be in the advertising secion of the results)
    For example, the number 1 for web hosting is Netfirms, a PR8 site. The number 1 for "web hosting" is FortuneCity, another PR8 site. There is no way that any affiliate will ever compete with those two companies.
    They are so massive because they get the number 1's for VERY popular search terms. The current top bid on Overture for web hosting is $18.01

I used web hosting as an example because it is a very popular search term. Of course getting high rankings is important

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    Of course it is very important. But as more and more websites compete for the top spots, it is almost impossible to get there for a new website - for less popular, but still good keywords you can achieve a good positioning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Search Engine Rankings - Is it worth the bother? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

They absolutely do make a world of difference.

Here's just a few quick researches for us on Google.com:

Keyword: free cut paste codes

Keyword: free javascript codes

Keyword: free javascript cut paste codes

Keyword: free javascript generators

Keyword: free javascript code generators

Keyword: encrypt html source code

Keyword: keyword density weight frequency

Keyword: keyword density weight

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Yes they do matter, search engine rankings mean $.

Jason
    xtremeshopping.org
    aim: ssn jason
    <a href="http://www.xtremeshopping.org/parasiteware.html"target="_blank">Fight parasiteware!<a>

"Do what you love and make money in the process. Turn your knowledge into income."

It makes all the difference in the world, from a few dollars straggling in here and there to being able to pretty much live the life you choose.

---Hershey

"My mother is the only one who loves me, and she moved into the garage."

it is worth it.

Absolutely.

A short time ago, we were barely a spec on the search engine radar, and the majority of our sales were generated by our affiliate program (a good thing )

After some tweaking of our system to make it more "crawler friendly", as well as taking a huge amount of time to write verbose descriptions of each individual product, a pleasant side-effect was a 100x increase in free SE traffic, as well as ranking at or near #1 for a plethora of pertinent keyphrases.

This has not only increased our non-affiliate sales, but has also increased the rate at which our affiliate program has grown by a factor of 10.

As a merchant, I'm less concerned about SE positioning than I am about building a strong affiliate team. SE positions come and go, but a stong affiliate base means a relatively stable (and increasing) rate of sales.

Erik

==============================
    The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

Getting listed in the SEs is very important. I build pages for people, though. Not SEs. The SEs change the way they rank sites so often, you'd spend a considerable amount of time reoptimizing to stay on top.

I focus on building pages that are helpful, and I don't try to SPAM the SEs or use any tricks to get listed or ranked higher. I've found by doing this, the SEs list new pages and sites quickly, and some pages get the top placement while others may be on page 2 or 3. Sometimes, being on page 2 or 3 is actually more profitable than being on page 1. I don't know why, but it's happened over and over again.

Build a good site that is helpful, with good navigation, and the SEs will be kind to you.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
    Sometimes, being on page 2 or 3 is actually more profitable than being on page 1. I don't know why, but it's happened over and over again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it has something to do with the top results being spam? Therefore of no real use to the searcher? Being on page 2, and also having what it is that is being searched for makes your site more profitable

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

You are right cjshoppingnetwork ... we had a keyword phrase that we noted drop to second page listing. (Put on our SEO things to do list) That new second page listing actually increased in traffic versus the first page results.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Maybe it has something to do with the top results being spam? Therefore of no real use to the searcher? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found that it varies by category. The difference may indeed be that the viewers expect the first page sites to be something other than what they're looking for. I've seen this effect not only with spammy 1st-page results, but also when the 1st page is full of the opposite kind of site from what they're looking for (info-content vs. sales). People will skip a page of what seems to be all-content listings when they want to buy something, and people will skip over a list of what appear to be stores when they are trying to learn about something.

So even "useful" results get skipped over, if the use they have isn't the use the searcher is looking for!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread