This discussion has popped up on another forum and I wanted to bring it here as well to see if anyone is having the same problem.

There are numerous people that have discovered that our sites that are hosted by godaddy are listed in the Google index, but not indexed with titles and content.

Essentially the results are appearing as

www.mysite.com
    Similar pages

This is occurring with sites that have been indexed for quite some time. There is no faulty SEO taking place. The only common thread amongst the sites is that they are all hosted on godaddy. Personally I have five sites that are having this problem. Some have all but disappeared from the index and some are only partially indexed.

Even godaddy.com's own sites are not immune to this problem as evidenced by the following SERPs

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...w.godaddy.com+

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...stdomains.com+

FYI, godaddy has been made aware of this problem via phone contact from several concerned clients. Additionally, they have been pointed to a forum discussion on seochat regarding this problem.

I wanted to post the information here to inform others of the situation so that you may check your own sites and make the necessary contact with godaddy so that this problem is resolved quickly.

Tony Felice

I noticed something recently myself. If you use godaddy to provide your dns (they have a free DNS service now for use with domains purchased from them) your site does not get indexed.

I believe Google has certain filters in place based on this DNS entry because most sites are just 'coming soon' pages.... I bet if you use other large registrars DNS servers, you will see the same thing happen.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Witness:
    I noticed something recently myself. If you use godaddy to provide your dns (they have a free DNS service now for use with domains purchased from them) your site does not get indexed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay--here's a question. I just moved most of my domains over to a dedicated account, so I have my own DNS servers. However, they are registered through GoDaddy (my DNS domain is registered through them, so they point my DNS entries to my host). This is a different deal from what you're speaking about, right?

Michael

Michael,

Yes that would be something different. This is dealing with the hosting not with the registration.

Witness makes an interesting observation regarding the parked pages. But if you were to assume that Google does this with all larger hosting companies, that would mean a huge chunk of the web would be having this same problem, based solely on the 80/20 rule.

Tony Felice

It makes sense that Google would do this, since many registrars do host just placeholder pages. In an effort to reduce costs, Google might just filter those URLs, thinking that they will find the site when it's hosted on another server.

Perhaps if you contacted Google about this, it would help. If Godaddy provides Google with a percentage of DNS sites that are actually hosted, maybe Google would decide to stop filtering if there are enough of them.

Andy

Godaddy, up until very recently, did not provide this free dns service. Yes, i think Google should update their filter a bit. In the mean time, I am certainly not going to use their domain name service.

ABW Ambassador
    Actually that doesn't really make sense. Why wouldn't they just block the ips for the parked pages? They haven't changed in the 2 years I have used the service, it is all just an htaccesss or apache trick to make you think there are multiple sites, there aren't.

Chet

From what has been discovered and discussed on other forums, the problem is not with godaddy's domain name service but with their hosting service.

I have a few domains that were purchased at godaddy and hosted elsewhere and there is no problem with those sites. The problem is with the sites that I own that are hosted with godaddy.

As it stands right now, I have yet to recieve a satisfactory answer from godaddy on this problem, other than "we are working on it".

Tony Felice

Yep,

Major problem for me and about 12 sites I "used" to host with godaddy. I also just got set up with my own dedicated server... powerful little machine with windows 2003 server software.

I will still be using godaddy for my domains, but will point my nameserver to dellhost.

From what I have read this should work fine...

I just wish this process would speed up ;-)

I am waiting on dns updates so I can get my sites back into google...Loosing hundreds daily right now.

Brian Johnson
    (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find
    Learn About Lifetime Commissions @ Myrxforless

We have a dozen sites, two of which are (were) hosted by GoDaddy. Both were inexplicably dropped by Google; none of our other sites were. Put both on a new server and sure enough, they were back in Google.

No more Go Daddy hosting for us.

---Hershey

"My mother is the only one who loves me, and she moved into the garage."

ABW Ambassador
    FYI - an updated observation on this topic !

A couple of months ago, I bought a domain AND set up a hosting account for it through Godaddy.

I sort of put it on hold after reading this dissapointing thread , and left it like it was until I decided where to host it , what to do with it, etc. (it was only an index page with a logo, and list of links to a bunch of blank category pages ) .

I didn't link to it from any other site, as it was no where near ready for traffic , and it has practically no content at all .

Somehow ... The totally undeveloped , and
    un-submitted site mysteriously found it's way into the Google index . What are the odds of that ? It doesn't appear to me that Google has an issue with Godaddy after all , at least not any more.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread