No problem with the Google update but I don't know what's up with MSN. Up till a few days ago their were sending the majority of my traffic and now almost nothing. Why oh why does this happen and especially at such a special time of year for it too?

Anyone else experience a drop in MSN traffic?

"Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on."
    Jerry Della Femina

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yeah, I was getting a decent amount to one site but it has slowed down. I had just decided to get more paid Ink listings for that site (because the free Slurp-bot had missed some sections), when MSN stopped sending as much free traffic over.

Makes me think the rumors about Inktomi not spidering sites for free once they pay, might have something to them. I hadn't seen evidence of this before...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    For the first time I added a couple of pages to inktomi
    They do generate some traffic from google and the rest so I was assuming there would also be traffic coming from msn and the rest with my listings
    I can count on one hand what they have sent for traffic. Even tried updating page and info.
    My first impressions for the one month they have been listed, and the $86 canadian it ended up costing me. Let's just say it isn't fit to print.
    Over the past 2 weeks I have been seeing best ever in traffic on some sites, so their lack of traffic has me wondering what is really happening.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

I think there was a ink update at MSN over the weekend. I noticed a one of my sites had a big drop in MSN traffic, and another new one got a nice boost.

Since about May there seems to be something going on over there. I had a site that was rocking with MSN, then update, and it was gone totally from MSN. Slurp still comes by, but nothing is back in the index. Really weird.

Bsnrjones

Goal: $10,000/month by 12/04

ABW Ambassador
    One of my sites that MSN picked up is doing good, all pages indexed. Another had most of the pages in there until i paid for 1 page to get in and now it looks like the only pages in for that site are the ones i paid to get in. I've read that this happens and it looks that way for that site. I wish all pages went in for free but paid inclusion has its benefits. The 48-72 hour refresh rate is nice and the pages i do get in rank well. I figure at $25 a year per page, i should be able to make $2.09 a month for any page i submit, so i consider it an investment. And from what i'm hearing Yahoo will be making the switch to INK early next year, January maybe, so i have been paying to get in my money making pages so i don't take any kind of hit when they finally do. Next year should be interesting with some long threads when Yahoo makes switch and if MSN Search goes live sometime next year.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

Any ideas about what triggers MSN to include a page and spider a site for free?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    They have been spidering me and I have been actually getting traffic from the for the first time in years. We got a mention in an msn article, and then the spidering, and I am pretty sure the two are related.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    I think it is just business as usual with Ink and MSN. It seems to me that this happens every month, where my listings drop off, then eventually come back. They never come back quite as well as they were, but there are more and more sites to index (think about the millions of data feed pages created every month).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think it is just business as usual with Ink and MSN. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Inktomi spider is at least polite, but is there constantly asking for files... It took quite some time for it to show up.

I'd ban the MSN bot in a flash if I didn't think they weren't helping us. Brutal.

CodeJockey.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread