What's wrong with this picture?

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...q=credit+cards

No affiliate sites on a search like credit cards? It was packed with them a few weeks ago. Has google given affiliate sites a huge kick in the posterior?

John Hoge
    SeaEagle.com
    ------------
    http://SeaEagle.com/affiliate to sign up
    15%+ Commission - No parasites or plugins

ABW Ambassador
    Results actually look good now.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

If you drop the "s" and search for credit card you'll find some affiliate sites.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

ABW Ambassador
    I have to agree with Trust. Looks much better.

I have been looking for stuff to buiy on line recently, and the stack of crappy affiliate sites prevented me ever finding what i wanted. OK, I have affiliate sites and want to make an income, but Google want good search results, and that does not always include affiliate sites in the results.

Affiliate sites that provide true value will stick, crap stuff wont, and I don't mean datafeeds).

The sooner Google gets rid of those shit pages that you click on and have NO CONTENT, just a hyperlink with the keyword you searched for and redirecting you to PPC listings, the better.

Download Site Map Creator Today

I've seen this in several areas, a lot of affiliate sites got whacked.

IMO, datafeed sites will too little unique content will soon follow, if they haven't already...

I dont belive there is such a thing as a google dance or reindex. they are just updating everyday as they index stuff orfeel like it. gave up worrying about google and their indexing since my highest pagerank page is my about me page at ebay which has no backlinks and really no content about me at all and its a pr4. out of my 600+ pages my best is a pr3 when someone can explain this to me let me know , i will just keep making pages in the meantime!
    vinny

------------------------------
    parasites = no money
    no parasites = money
    money is the choice im making i will see you there!!

ABW Ambassador
    Nyfalcon, the PR4 you are seeing for your ebay page probably has a guessed PR. The upper level page probably got PR5, Google assumes the next level pages will get PR4. Google guess PR for some pages even if there is no backlink. Also sometimes, there are backlinks, but Google does not show them, but count them in PR calculation.

ABW Ambassador
    nyfalcon
    I am sure many of us could explain this, but not without knowing your site URL. It is bad etiquete asking for such details, but if you truely want to know why, PM me.

Download Site Map Creator Today

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> out of my 600+ pages my best is a pr3 when someone can explain this to me let me know , i will just keep making pages in the meantime! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prety simple really...

More inbound links (from a page with at least PR3-4 or better) equals increased PR.

Having said that PR has really been dampened more and more in the overall scheme of things in recent months by google. Having said that, I have foud the higher PR is helpful in getting a site spidered both more frequently, and much deeper.

Erik

==============================
    The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

I had a site just get whacked. It was doing well on specific keywords until the 21st, then BAM.

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

My affiliate sites got whacked. But I also had a large content site whacked that only has a couple of amazon links and no other affiliate links anywhere.

So if they're "penalizing" affiliates, that's not all they're penalizing.

ABW Ambassador
    I landed on the first page for 'credit cards' about two years ago. That was great for about three week$, then all my sites started getting penalized. They eventually lifted the penalty. No more crappy credit card sites for me.

I've been watching Google for what seems like years now. I haven't contributed much lately, but here's some accumulated information that I have while I wait for a file to upload:

I'm getting the impression that affiliate sites have been 'slightly penalized' with this last major update that they've done... supposedly called the 'Florida Update'.

If you run sites with just datafeed information, then those sites have been 'penalized'.

If you run hyphenated domain names, then there has been some sort of penalty applied, but I can't figure out exactly how much. I vaguely recall a comment on another board that hyphenated domain names will be penalized in future updates.

If you run 'content sites' you're a big winner if you have not added affiliate links. If you're Amazon, then you're a big winner.

If you have a 'key word' that you follow, then the key word better be two, three or four words long. Plural words no longer mean singular words and vice-versa. Hyphenated word queries produce totally different results ('yellow things' and 'yellow-things' produce different results depending on what data center you are in.)

Oddly enough, I'm also getting the impression that the results that Google produces are exactly sorta like maybe what you are looking for. I'm finding it frustrating lately because it seems the results aren't totally what I want.

And if you disagree/agree with any of the above, go to another datacenter and you'll get what you want, or simply wait 10 minutes for Google to show you another set of results.

CodeJockey.

I saw these two articles posted at Slashdot:

One at searchengineguide.com - a good semitechnical analysis of what's happened.

An article at the NYT showing the impact on a business - the exact same thing happened to me with a gift site vanishing from the face of the earth.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Luckily, i've been fine through this update and the big one that knocked some down last year. I think the best long term way not to run into any problems is just use basic SEO optimization and don't try anything tricky like hidden text or cloaking. Get your keywords into the metas where they're supposed to be, into your page where they're supposed to be etc. When doing recip links try to get them different ways too. Get links in where the keyword(s) you're targeting are in the link text, get links in with just your domain, mix it up. I think you should concentrate on making a good enough site where people will link to you naturally without wanting a link back. I think this could be a major part of a future algo. Anybody could spend all day getting recip links, not hard to do. But links into your site without reciprocation should be more important. I don't personally worry about the SPAM sites out there, i figure one day they'll get whats due, one day all those Google PHD's will get em'. Just get back to the basics, and make good sites.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think the best long term way not to run into any problems is just use basic SEO optimization and don't try anything tricky like hidden text or cloaking. Get your keywords into the metas where they're supposed to be, into your page where they're supposed to be etc. When doing recip links try to get them different ways too. Get links in where the keyword(s) you're targeting are in the link text, get links in with just your domain, mix it up. I think you should concentrate on making a good enough site where people will link to you naturally without wanting a link back. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is quite possibly the best common-sense post on SEO I've seen here yet.

Erik

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I run a financial bad credit etc site
    Over the past week - ten days my numbers have climbed and doubled over my prior best days on a regular basis.
    I did a complete redesign about 2 months back at least. On all my sites I ever put up I have tried to have a legit, non spam page or tactics and not the way some of these same bad credit type sites do to get traffic.
    I feel it may have paid of, at least short term for traffic that I am seeing now, if in fact Google is cutting sites. I hope it stays the way it is in all honesty. I have worked hard to try to get these pages and sites to get more traffic. I am hoping it may finally add some more traffic now and keep sustaining it even after XMAS in case it is just a seasonal upswing. I have 2 other non financial sites seeing this ame traaffic leap out of nowhere

I most certainly hope the ones who have also played by the rules and have been hurt by a change will also see their sites back up where they should be. Good old fashioned competition never hurts

However for spam and trickery some people use, well here is hoping they reaped what they have sown.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I most certainly hope the ones who have also played by the rules and have been hurt by a change will also see their sites back up where they should be. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure they will. During the last "shakeup" that a changed algo caused, I actually had a PR8 site that has been #1 for it's keyword/phrase for four years straight go MIA (at least the index page) for about 3-4 weeks. It came back in time.

Erik

Animal Lover
    I hope so too Erik - my site's disappeared for some keyword phrases and I'm not clever enough to do any of that cloaking or hidden word things...

I'll wait and see if it comes back for those keyword phrases.

Oscar

Affiliate Manager
    I have 4 of my sites get totally dropped from Google right after the update. Two days later they were back to where they were before.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I tried to get to 'ceasars louisville' without going to an affiliate page, it was impossible, eventually went to Yahoo yellow pages, found it right away. In a way, I almost feel sorry for Google, they are trying to develop this directory that returns relevant content, and there are five million people vying for free traffic, pushing their products or coupons in between the surfer and their goal, lol.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

ABW Ambassador
    Everything is relative
    Some cry, others clap....
    The key is diversification and building for the surfers, not search engines.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread