Pretty Interesting article on what the lastest theory is on the workings of google page ranking.

Also supports my belief that Google is ultimately going to split commercial and organic search results.

http://www.searchengineguide.com/llo.../1125_bl1.html

Victor Hanna
    The BettyMills Company
    Home of the 30,000 product DataFeed
    http://www.BettyMills.com
    http://affiliates.bettymills.com/
    BettyMills ABW Forum

Awesome! This article says exactly why we suddenly have good rankings!

Thanks Victor!

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

ABW Ambassador
    It was an effort by google to get rid of spammy sites. Relevancy is the key, I don't think commercial versus noncommercial split is universally relevant. And since this relativity, there should NOT be a split. Not everyone is shopping when searching for an item....

ABW Ambassador
    Wooooooohoooooooooooo, my two main sites jumped up to PR 5 for the first time everrrrrrr!! YAY!

I never got my T-Shirt

Animal Lover
    Congratulations Samy!

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    ooh, thanks Oscar!!

I never got my T-Shirt

Here is another article that may be of interest - specifically for those webmasters who have been growing "link farms".

Gil

http://sitepronews.com/

Thanks for posting links to the articles, Victor and Gil. Something is very definitely happening at Google, and I know that a few people here are gonna bristle when they read this, but I strongly believe that content will play a more important role in the future.

When someone searches for "Blue Widget" they don't necessarily want to buy a Blue Widget. Instead, they may want to know where they are made, what the Sherwin-Williams paint code is for that particular shade of blue, when the Blue Widget was invented, how many people in a particular country own a Blue Widget, etc., BEFORE they decide to buy one.

Some will say, I don't want to provide this information, I just want to sell the things! That's great, in the past people doing research don't normally buy stuff. But if they can't find your site because it has no SE content, it doesn't matter! You won't sell anything anyway, even to the few who do want to buy!

If you have to advertise your revenue site(s) to bring buyers, this will seriously impact your bottom line, as this is an expense you haven't had to bear before.

We can thank the SE spammers and optimizers for this, the ones who offer little value to the person doing the search, yet have managed to achieve top search results by hook or by crook. I think those days are about over, and it's about time, in my opinion!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I don't get it. That article basically summarizes what is on search engine forums and says that it could be a number of changes to Google's algo, but they are not sure which.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
    If you have to advertise your revenue site(s) to bring buyers, this will seriously impact your bottom line, as this is an expense you haven't had to bear before.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't the bottom line that bothers me, it's the skill involved in making advertising pay.
    I would quite happily spend 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, investing 50 cents to return a dollar...

What I can't afford is to lose money experimenting, trying to find out what works and what doesn't.

I agree that we all want to see the spammy SEO sites disappear but, I think these new Google changes are affecting everyone and not just the guys with poor content.

Many of the sites being dropped appear to be using very legitimate SEO techniques that are good indicators of relevance (i.e. title tag, body content, hyperlinks, etc.). If the change is in fact meant to boost informative sites and drop commercial sites, I’m interested in how this will affect Affiliate Marketing. From my observations, the majority of Affiliate sites use SEO to create traffic. What happens if this stops being a reliable option?

David Delisle
    Manager, Online Marketing
    The world's largest online marketplace for used, rare, and out-of-print books.
    http://www.abebooks.com

ABW Ambassador
    I don't believe anything different happened. Google tweaked the algo, that is nothing new.

These theories and debates used to happen monthly. Now it is only every few months.

Last year they tweaked the algo, or instituted new penalties, and I got destroyed. Now I am back in, and it is someone else's turn to suffer.

SEO will continue to evolve.

Animal Lover
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Many of the sites being dropped appear to be using very legitimate SEO techniques that are good indicators of relevance (i.e. title tag, body content, hyperlinks, etc.). If the change is in fact meant to boost informative sites and drop commercial sites, I’m interested in how this will affect Affiliate Marketing. From my observations, the majority of Affiliate sites use SEO to create traffic. What happens if this stops being a reliable option?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paid advertising? It costs more and it will eat into the bottom line but it does deliver reliable traffic that isn't at the mercy of algo changes. But from this thread http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=6306054705 it seems to be working for some.

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know what to make of it if the results I get at the scroogle.org are any indication. For a specific search term, pages on my book review site show up as the first two dropped but two others are 1 & 2 of the current top 100. They are all identical ASP-generated pages, only the book title & info are different. How do you optimize for this?

Glad to see that following my two dropped pages is one from that spammy Library of Congress.

Wayne

Animal Lover
    Yes Northernstudio,

I've had similar results from Scroogle - and am not sure where to take it...can you find your site in google? Although Scroogle says I'm still in the current top 10, when I do go to Google, I can't find it.

Oscar

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>can you find your site in google? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes and no. Scroogle is correct with my #1 current page but the page it says would be #2 if it weren't missing actually is #13 on google.

I suspect the scroogle results probably are not a valid indicator of anything. Kind of like Alexa but without the pretense.

Wayne

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread