ABW Ambassador
    What ever happened to the dmoz bashing threads?

Remember the days and nights at SEF, SED, and then WmW when that was all most webmasters could talk about?

Did we just move on?

There was Black Monday at AV and we got over it.
    There was dmoz not updating and we got over it.
    Now we have "Google changes anger web businesses ....."

Will we get over it?

Mike Mackin

The "good ole days" were when DMOZ was an important directory.

Since it's become irrelevant, no one cares.

ABW Ambassador
    My content sites always got a good bit of traffic once listed in DMOZ. My commercial pages rely on search engine (read that Google) traffic.

I think there is more of an economic hit to the web economy when Google makes an unexpected change such as has been reported. Mass- media publications haven't done many articles on DMOZ updates, but they're starting to pick up on Google's antics.

When this levels out, we'll go back to DMOZ bashing.

Wayne

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Since they don't let pure affiliate sites in, DMOZ is like that gated subdivision you pass on the way to somewhere else. There, and you see it out of the corner of your eye, but they're not really relevant as you speed on by to your destination.

And that destination is usually...GOOGLE.

DMOZ becoming irrelevant to the rest of the place strikes me as wonderful justice. Serves 'em right for trying to dictate what kind of a site is "worthy" and what isn't!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I can't help but think this will go full circle, that dmoz will have a chance to become inordinantly relevant - if they could get their act in gear and clean up their database.

I applied a number of times, but was turned down - probably because they were worried I would add affiliate programs into their database. I then wrote back to them and said, look, put me in the category of your choice, and I will buzz in from time to time to help. Pick a category I have absolutely no interest in, even, I'll help you out: heh, they replied suggesting that I did not sound sincere.

Lol, I'm not going to beg to work for free, forget that.

- - - - - - - - -
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. --Albert Einstein

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    What ever happened to the dmoz bashing threads?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we all gave up hope that DMOZ would deviate from their past standard operating procedures. A DMOZ listing is still a good thing and we have come to terms with facts.

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

ABW Ambassador
    DMOZ sucks

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

Let's see.. personally speaking I've editing 15,000 sites at the ODP/DMOZ so I'm probably a bit biased.

Leader is bang on though. You're affiliate site isn't going to get listed, so forget it. However, a decent content site probably will. An ODP listing should give you a site in the Google PR4/5 range to play with. Collect a few of those together and you have a seriously useful portfolio to help support your affiliate sites.

However, some bits are very slow in getting updated, and probably the worst is any category that is actually trying to SELL something because the sheer weight of affiliate sites makes editing there very difficult indeed. To be an editor in Shopping and other commercial categories (e.g. lots of Computing and Business) you will generally need to be an experienced ODP editor BEFORE they will let you touch them.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

I guess the thing that burns my biscuits the most about DMOZ is the leeway the give Editors in regards to how long they can go between edits.

2-3 weeks should be the longest time a category should be allowed to languish without being edited. While I know all editors are volunteers, not having the time to edit at least once in 6-7 weeks is simply unacceptable.

Further, the current system is simply open to too much abuse. I know many people have found categories that were populated by site after site owned/operated by the same person.

Erik

Heck - I've tried to get NewWebsite.com into DMOZ (Hosting /Letter "N" section) for well over the last year. 4 submittals and about 5 emails to editors and not a peep from them. Unbelievable!

Larry Wentz

AffiliateNetwork.org newWebsite.com (Host 200 Domains - $29/Month)
    </p>

</p>

What burns me up is the amount of Affiliate sites that ARE in DMOZ.

I've tried submitting several content sites, a bed and breakfast site, a camping site, a law firm site, etc and either they're never added or you can't even get the application to submit without hitting an error. I gave up.

ellen-s4y: the process for adding a site is notoriously buggy, but it's worth trying again at a different time of day or leaving it a week or two. Don't forget that a site for a real bricks-and-mortar-based business can be listed in the locality AS WELL AS the general category.

wentzco: the web hosting categories are notoriously backlogged. Don't worry, it will get looked at eventually.

AllPiercings: I think you know the answer to this already.. that's another backlogged category, in fact *all* shopping categories are problematic. However, you've only been waiting since September, so be patient.

If you don't know about it already, then the ODP Public Forum is a good place to raise questions about a site's submission status. If you have real evidence of editor abuse (i.e. adding ineligible sites, deleting competitors sites etc) then there's the ODP Public Abuse Report System. This is for *active* abuse rather than for editors who don't log in much.

A couple of things to remember.. pure affiliate sites aren't allowed at all. However, sites with affiliate links in *are* if they have sufficiently good content. Editors are advised to mentally ignore affiliate links (and by implication any sales spin) and concentrate on the unique content. The guidelines were tightened up last year to make them more clear to editors and submitters.

Don't forget that editors are volunteers and edit to varying degrees. Also, the fact that a category has a named editor does *not* mean that they are the only editor working in a category. Any named editor for a higher-level category can also edit that category, plus anyone listed as an editall or meta editor.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ellen-s4y:
    I've tried submitting several content sites, ... etc ... and either they're never added or you can't even get the application to submit without hitting an error. I gave up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Ditto.

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>ellen-s4y: the process for adding a site is notoriously buggy, but it's worth trying again at a different time of day or leaving it a week or two. Don't forget that a site for a real bricks-and-mortar-based business can be listed in the locality AS WELL AS the general category.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was over the course of several months. I had 3 sites added the 1st two month of this year, nothing since. The last site I tried submitting was 2 months ago - same buggy garbage...and yes, I tried it at different times and in different categorys, but after 1/2 a dozen attempts, I gave up completely.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread