Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    It's intermittent, so if you don't see it right away try again, but for product searches Google is now showing results from Froogle above the main results.

Here's an example: lawn mowers

Bleah.

Bad Google!!!

So how do we need to adjust our sites to get picked up by Froogle. Show prices? What else? Do we need to appear to have a shopping cart?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on December 06, 2003 at 01:15 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    You can see how it looks at
    http://www-ex.google.com

http://www-ex.google.com/search?hl=e...&q=lawn+mowers

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on December 06, 2003 at 01:31 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Froogle still kinda sucks, the results for lawn mower. From the example above:

VHS tape on lawnmowers
    VHS tape on lawnmowers
    Lawn Striper roller for push mowers

Google known for relevant results with that above, not very relevant.

Good oppurtunity to find deals for products and run some Adwords, so if someone runs a product search lets say for jeans, have an ad for deals on jeans.

Wordtracker needs to add Froogle.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on December 06, 2003 at 02:10 AM.]

Very interesting because this is proof to me that they are extremely interested in padding the botom line and are willing to make drastic changes to their search results to achieve that. Good example is the theory on removing the top 100 listings for popular keywords in order to generate more adwords sales.

I don't have a problem with them doing this at all because every business needs to make money but it's something to keep in mind that google isn't going to be the free ride it always was.

I think Yahoo's downfall was due to their newfound interest in making the accountant happy and I almost think google will take that same road.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So how do we need to adjust our sites to get picked up by Froogle. Show prices? What else? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think Froogle allows affiliate sites. From http://froogle.google.com/froogle/merchants.html :

"Therefore, to be eligible to submit a feed, you must sell products via your website and ship them to the buyer. If you sell services or custom products that do not have fixed prices, use your website only to promote an offline business, or are an affiliate marketing site, your site content may be crawled by and included in Google's web search, but it will not be included in Froogle. Nor will Froogle accept a data feed under these conditions."

Having said that, I have seen some affiliate's sites getting picked up, but I beleive they had prices/images on their sites organized in a catalog-like format.

Also notable I think are links at the bottom of each froogle page that state:

Try your search on other sites: Amazon - AOL - eBay - MSN - Yahoo!
    BizRate - DealTime - Epinions - mySimon

I'm not sure if those were there before, but I don;t recall having seen google sending people to other "engines" before.

Erik

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If you got an extra 1 million $ to burn you too can have a Froogle partnership link at the bottom and for a monthly fee pad comparison shopping datafeeds via LS-BF-Performics and CJ. For those wishing to stuff Froogle with some other merchant's datafeed be forewarned. They do have a human compliance testing team and will not only perminently whack your domain from Froogle, but might effect your rankings in Google.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> this is proof to me that they are extremely interested in padding the botom line and are willing to make drastic changes to their search results to achieve that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand. Aren't Froogle listings free?

Froogle listings are FREE. Skewing the results in the favor of click throughs to shopping portals and Duper aggregrators costs bucks.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Nobody uses froogle so now they are going to force it on people by displaying those results first?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    FYI, I got a call from CJ around 4 months ago saying Google/Froogle wanted to be an affiliate for Irvs Luggage. Irvs was already in Froogle for free. So for awhile at least Google was also trying to monetize Froogle by becoming an affiliate. Don't know if they still are doing that.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

Having Froogle product links added to the search would definately be bad news for affiliate sites - but in the example link above, notice that the 2 'Sponsored Links' that usually feature above the main results are gone - replaced by the Froogle results.

If this is going to be the way it works, then I don't forsee a major impact - just one set of links replacing another - but if the Froogle results are going to be placed IN ADDITION, then that will cost us sales.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> this is proof to me that they are extremely interested in padding the botom line and are willing to make drastic changes to their search results to achieve that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand. Aren't Froogle listings free?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but I do not believe they will be once they are established as valuable.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catalyst:
    FYI, I got a call from CJ around 4 months ago saying Google/Froogle wanted to be an affiliate for Irvs Luggage. Irvs was already in Froogle for free. So for awhile at least Google was also trying to monetize Froogle by becoming an affiliate. Don't know if they still are doing that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep. They applied awhile back with LS, too, as this was the word going around. I told everyone this was going to happen; that Google would bump affiliate sites (Florida update? more to come?) from search results and replace the top results with their own commission earning links. If I remember correctly, I was scoffed at, and people said I was paranoid. Forget ebates, and the likes. There is a new super affiliate that no one can touch: the number one used search engine company in the world wants to make money and it doesn't give a sheet who it puts out of business.

-----------------------------
    BAH! Humbug!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    But will it do it pre-IPO or post-IPO ?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

ABW Ambassador
    Oh now I see it!

Some of the froogle links they are showing have affiliate links embedded (clickserve to PC Connection).

How do we know if they are Google's affiliate links or some other lucky affiliate? I guess the answer is that Froogle would not include a direct affiliate link if it was not its own. Right?

Very clever of them. They now have adsense ads, sponsored listings, and their Froogle affiliate links.

ABW Ambassador
    I hope nobody thinks that froogle will stay free - sooner or later google will either have their own affiliate listings, or have some paid inclusion stuff... Maybe they are experimenting now to test the waters and then slowly make the changes.

Hopefully the average Google user doesn’t click on these Froogle listings and then Google may decide to not give up this top real estate like it currently is.

Don’t all of you affiliates go testing and clicking on the Froogle results, it will only show Google that the Froogle results are working.

For right now I don't mind the froogle listings at all. I'm getting a few an hour from them and I don't have anything uploaded to them. Guess they spidered product links

We've had 4 froogle-generated sales in the last 48 hours, so it's not exactly taking the public by storm yet....

Erik

==============================
    The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    Oh now I see it!

Some of the froogle links they are showing have affiliate links embedded (clickserve to PC Connection).

How do we know if they are Google's affiliate links or some other lucky affiliate? I guess the answer is that Froogle would not include a direct affiliate link if it was not its own. Right?

Very clever of them. They now have adsense ads, sponsored listings, and their Froogle affiliate links.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I would say those affiliate links are from the networks. Think about it, CJ or Linkshare tell a merchant that google wants to be an affiliate, the merchants says heck ya, and CJ sends froogle a feed with cj's link. Great way for the networks to make buttloads of money.

Do you remember where most of your traffic came from before Google was so popular? Seems like it was Yahoo before they started charging for listings. Then Google came along and it was better because it was free and everything was listed.

ABW Ambassador
    eep...... time to become a merchant instead of an affiliate methinks.

I never got my T-Shirt

ABW Ambassador
    Not seeing it right now, checking the lawn mowers example. Never understood why they would release something still in BETA into Google and with the lawn mowers example, the results weren't relevant.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

No comment as all the light bulbs going off in my head doesn't illuminate a very bright future for affiliate maketing as we invisioned it. We have had our activities narrowed to just a portion of the commision pool while the forces to be were able to mix commissions with advertising budgets and tap the entire money pool.

Mike & Charlie ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast