Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Been reading over at webmasterworld and this is what i gather so far. More Florida type updates on the way. Right now check www2,www3, www-in, looks very different. It seems they want to put information and authority sites in the free listings and steer business listing over to PPC. So lots more possible unsettling changes on the way. I don't think a very good idea to drift from what got them to #1 and the whole IPO thing will end up eventually ruining them IMO. Gotta roll with it.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Santa:
    So lots more possible unsettling changes on the way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll agree with that. Looks like they're really cleaning house. Think I saw the same post you did. Hope ya all got some c*ntent sites?

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

They were not always number 1 and they won't stay number 1.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, the main Google is going the other way - a few more commercial sites making a reappearance. Have to say that the results in www2 are dreadful in terms of relevance and usefulness. Some of my sites have done better there though. So better make that: dreadful in terms of relevance and usefulness except the SERPs which show my sites. Those are spot on and couldn't be more relevant.

Search Engine Marketing and Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    What Jane said. You heard it here. They are deveating from what brought them here and are going to lose their core support.

IamJaloppy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hope ya all got some c*ntent sites? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We got whacked earlier in the year and we've basically starved for a couple of months.

However, the Florida update didn't disappear us, but we didn't benefit from it either.

What we did find interesting is that we set up two throw-away domains after Florida, one with just content only and one with selectively delivered content. Both sites have been hammered by the bots to the extent that they've actually indexed the 'too many connections' error messages.

Not a scientific conclusion, but we've got a couple of sites with advertising on it that haven't been spidered in months, despite doing 'everything right', other than a few index pages.

Looks like to me that Content is Still King.

CodeJockey.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My Revenue sites, of course, dispute that claim of monarchy...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    apparently Google thinks we have an authoritative content site

Well since it looks like all is lost I'll come out and say what one of my top money making terms used to be. It was homeowners insurance and home owners insurance. Now because google is so accurate (cough) the top spots for home owners insurance allow you to buy boat insurance, car insurance, buy a home or visit the one somewhat accurate listing insur.com. The term homeowners insurance doesn't have affiliates anywhere in sight but lists statefarm and other large providers.

Hey I think it's back to directory time since that is all google plans to produce is the same stinking results you get in directories. Who doesn't already know about statefarm?

Anyways I'll ***** & moan over my loss wether it's good or bad for google.

This has been a serious wake up call. I always knew relying on Google was not a safe thing to do... but, well you know...

ABW Ambassador
    Google has been friendly, but they're not anybody's friend.

Have you been naughty or nice?

Didn't look at them all but www2 made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Google STILL loves me.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    Search it for retro posters..... ugh

On the other hand... some of my most used keywords have me in 1-5 and 8th spot

I never got my T-Shirt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Leader wrote: My Revenue sites, of course, dispute that claim of monarchy... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> For now. I hope Plan B is ready to roll, because changes are a-blowin' in the wind...

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Well since it looks like all is lost I'll come out and say what one of my top money making terms used to be. It was homeowners insurance and home owners insurance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe Google goes through certain terms and cleans them out occasionally. High-paying affiliate spam terms are targets including credit cards, loans, and insurance.

Or maybe other websites report their competition in those fields.

I don't know exactly how it works but I got nailed ranking highly for 'credit cards' and some other terms about 14 months ago and will never touch those types of keywords again.

I don't believe my site would have been considered spam so I don't think that was it.

ABW Ambassador
    It is the search terms and phrases that attract affiliate spam. You do not have to be an actual spam site.

The credit card, loans, and insurance search listings are a bad neighborhood where all the latest seo tricks are developed. It attracts the wrong element and Google knows it.

You do not want to get caught there when they clean house (unless you are American Express).

ABW Ambassador
    I'm sure they kept track of the "money terms" in Adwords, then are going through the free SERPS looking for those terms and doing some realigning and bumping off the SE radar. They want you to use Adwords on those money terms.

I work in lounge pants

Understood Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm sure they kept track of the "money terms" in Adwords, then are going through the free SERPS looking for those terms and doing some realigning and bumping off the SE radar. They want you to use Adwords on those money terms.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you imagine what this will eventually do to the cost of bids on adwords. They will get so high and competitive that the small timer affiliates will be completely choked out of it. Which eventually means less overall competition from affiliates and therefore googles results will become boring and predictable with only american express, visa and mastercard showing up for a search on credit cards.

I read an interview with Larry Page about a year or so ago. In it he talked about "relevant searches" being the key to their success.

Apparently it isn't as important as it used to be.

CDC

Credit cards, insurance, etc. It is easier for a person to go to an affiliate site where they can see offers from different companies side by side instead of having to take the time to go to each companies site.

The big companies can afford to pay if they want to come up first so I don't think google is moving them up to make money. I see quite a bit of this going on for products also. Amazon, drugstore.com and the like are starting to show up first.

Maybe it's time we all start promoting another search engine on our sites.

Who uses the google toolbar besides webmasters? Who else would care to view page rank which allows google to do some tracking. So we have our toolbar and we go in searching for our sites over and over to see where we rank and they track this. Am I getting paranoid or can this info be used against us?

[This message was edited by jane on December 10, 2003 at 10:41 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    My Revenue sites, of course, dispute that claim of monarchy...

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>with four years or more of building multiple sites with pages totaling in the 100's of thousands you can't miss.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck

ABW Ambassador
    Looks like it moved over to the main.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The big companies can afford to pay if they want to come up first so I don't think google is moving them up to make money.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it is entirely about money either. 'Credit Cards' is the front line of the war against search engine spammers.

But it IS about money for the affiliate link sites when they reach top-ten for 'credit cards'. Guaranteed minimum $10,000 income per month.

It is the perfect place for Google to look for the newest search engine tricks.

My credit card site was on the first page of google results for some time, before the last update. Believe me it was no 10 grand a month.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast