ABW Ambassador
    ABW --

I'm curious about Froogle. When it first came out a while ago, we developed a datafeed and upload products to the site once per week on an automated basis. However, doing a search for "candles" or even "discount candle shop" yields virtually no results for our candles, even the 2200 SKUs we upload to them weekly.

There seems to be no rhymhe or reason to how the index is sorted, or ranked. Page rank, link reputation, or other normal indicators seem to have no influence.

How does Google propose to make this a valuable tool to consumers, when by all means, the results seem to be random?

Isn't Google the king of relevancy? I had hope to see more reason and algorithmic logic behind the listings, but so far I've found absolutely none.

I contend that Google will not be successful at their efforts until they place similar ranking algorithms to Froogle as their Google indexes, and remain confused as to their long term intentions on their "random" index of products.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Andrew Edmond
    CandlePeople Affiliate Manager
    http://www.candlepeople.com

"Scuse me, but since Froogle threatens to take food off our tables, don't you think this might be the wrong group to ask about how to more effectively sale your products on Froogle thus by-passing us in the process?

Am I missing something here or are you?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    Candles can be very competitive plus a lot of stores carry them. It would hard to get page 1 Froogle for anything but i see you on page 1 for Fresh Scent 15 Hour Votive. Froogle has always had some very mixed results depending on the terms you search, plus its still in BETA, i wonder if it will ever get out of BETA and why they even link to it on the Google main page while still in BETA. I don't see this as a threat to affiliates because product search has never caught on and the results are not very good. Just typing candles i think they could have come up with something better then a Yahoo auction in the #1 spot.

I work in lounge pants

Merchants need to use all tools available to them to make sales. There are lots of ways they by-pass us to make sales. Just because they give us an opportunity to make money doesn't mean they need to cease all other advertising. Hopefully we are good enough to bring them more sales than their other advertising methods, if not we will be out of business.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Google management learned from day one that they let their end-user searchers determine relevancy of the listings. Watch the complaints start poring in by the millions to OUT the crappy irrelevant listings in Froogle. They are smart on the Froogle charter. Only those who actually receive payment, guarantee delivery and customer satisfaction will have long term listings in Froogle. Those who click on those keyword product links over time will hold the landing page merechant's feet to the fire if they buy. Those pushing full retail priced goods through the Froogle channel will not get a bookmark.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't see this as a threat to affiliates because product search has never caught on and the results are not very good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Our sales from froogle (despite many first-page listings) are a trickle in comparison to our affiliate sales channel.

This may not always be the case, however. I agree that Google is probably doing a number of usability studies right now, as well as researching a number of different ways to monetize it (as noted elsewhere in this forum....joining as an affiliate themeselves, etc.)

Seeing it from their persepctive, if they were able to provide a well-received comparision shopping engine, which is populated by numerous merchants for which they were an affiliate, it could be a source of enormous income potential.

Erik

==============================
    The AllPiercings.com Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.
    http://www.Allpiercings.com

Well, I can see this will come as an unpleasant awakening.

Do you think this is how the end product is going to be? They're going to do it until they get it right and it is going to be a major hit to our industry.

Better make other plans for getting traffic and get those sources up and running, now.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    What Ssanf said.

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

So basically what you are saying is that Google itself will be somewhat of a parisite in that they will be pushing themselves off into the search results as an affiliate of some legitimate merchants?

It does seem to me that Google has become a little too money-hungry.. maybe a bit much so that they may not even survive all this tumoltous change.

Does anyone else find it strange that when we refer to the 'good old days' of SEO when you could submit your site to Infoseek and Altavista and get feedback (your sites would be listed) within 48 hours........ that it seems like that was about 50 years ago??

I have seen that Alta Vista is making a comeback. Check your listings there and see how you are doing. I say that we as a community start searching Alta Vista and boycott Google.

If we don't get some kool rules ourselves...... pronto........ then we'll just be bogus too.. ~Jeff Spicoli~

ABW Ambassador
    Right now it look slike almost random matches to a product query (includes the actual product, plus all the matching accessories etc).

What they need to do is make it easy for a user to drill down through a list of menus to locate the exact product they want, and then provide price comparisons.

At that point Froogle will be more useful for shopping than the regular Google listings.

I suspect they are developing this now, or they might buy a shopping comparison site with the needed technology.

ABW Ambassador
    Alta Vista has its on version of froogle. I think that it even stands out a little bit more.

Oh my, time to put my thinking cap on.

Lily

ABW Ambassador
    more thoughts on all this.

merchants and their am's will have to decide if they want to support these super affiliates and forget the rest of us. If they let the av's and googles manage their product sales as well as searches, that eventually puts them in a very weak position.

Yes they certainly have the right to maximize a variety of positions. They ultimately weaken their position, if they create an oligopy consisting of 2 or 3 very powerful search engines, who also market their products, to the exclusion of us. It could get very costly for them.Can't see google remaining totally objective for very long.

it's late i'm sleepy...but I think this is going to get very interesting.

Lily

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread