Just Lurking
    Actually weather search engines use poison words is not what I want to know.

I'm working on script to analysis a page of HTML. So far it pulls out title, meta_keywords, meta_description, anchor_tag_text, heading_tag, bold_tag, italic_tag, emphasis_tag, underline_tag, comments, noscript, noframes, noembed, anchor_tag_url, title_attribute and alt_attribute. It strips out a big list of stop_words. It counts all the words and all the unique words. It calculates word density and prominence (on a character basis).

I've also created a value based on what elements a word appears in , so a word that appears in the TITLE will have a higher value than one that only appears in the text BODY. (yeah that's why I pulled all those elements.)

Now so far taking into account PageRank, simply multiplying word_density by word_prominence by my_element_value the resulting value does closely match Google SERP. However, I've noticed some strange results which make me scratch my head and go ha?

One such result involved two equally ranked pages, the top page had a much lower value than the second page according to my calculation. As far as I could tell the second wasn't doing anything shady, it was very well optimized. This may sound silly but the only thing I could figure was the word "HOME" in the title of the second page was poison.

Should I add poison words to my calculation? If so which? And for which elements even?

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Did you check backlinks? the first may have hundreds or thousands of good backlinks and the 2nd not as many.

Or the 2nd may eventually surpass the 1st over time, google doesn't rank overnight

Just Lurking
    They were of equal PageRank which takes backlinks into consideration. However, I did check. First had a small number of external backlinks second had slightly less. Second also had a lot of internal links.

My other thought was that even though they had equal PR the second may have been borderline on the low end while the other was borderline on the high end. Does that make sense?

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

The other major thing you have to take into consideration is anchor text on the back links. That plays a MAJOR factor on Google.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Just Lurking
    Thanks Canadian and Micheal some times I get programmer featuritise (wonder if I should apply for disability). I decided not to put in the poison word.

It seems to be pretty accurate as is. I just finished hooking up to my search function to the analyzer. It does a great job finding the keywords for indexing. It looks like it's less than a kilobyte per page -- much less. Big improvement or over last revision which indexed just about everything. 2000 pages will only take up about 2 megas!

"If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

"The other major thing you have to take into consideration is anchor text on the back links. That plays a MAJOR factor on Google"
    Mike:
    Pls explain. What should the nature of the anchor text ideally be?
    Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by El Jefe:
    Pls explain. What should the nature of the anchor text ideally be?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's probably easiest to explain with an example.

If you Search Google for french military victories, and look at the #1 entry, you'll wonder how it got there. If you look at the backlinks for that page, you'll find that a bunch of people put links up to that page and used "french military victories" as the anchor text.

How does that impact normal sites? It shows that the anchor text is important. When people link to your site, it is better to have them use keywords (best price on blue widgets) as the anchor text instead of your domain name (blue-widget-store.com).

Using SEO terms, the "off page factors" are as important (or sometimes MORE important) than the "on page factors".

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Michael:

I'm a little confused here. In the example you cited wouldn't both exampples be the same for SEO purposes?

blue-widget-store.com VS. best price on blue widgets

I would even think the domain would be the beter because f the prominence. In the other example blue widgets is at the end

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    Using SEO terms, the "off page factors" are as important (or sometimes MORE important) than the "on page factors".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Those off page factors are hard to calculate unless your the search engine. Which is why I settled for the on page factors I could get easily.

"If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread